TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I bought my first TW last night. It’s a super clean 2000 model with 2200 miles. It has a dead battery, so I bought a new one and it’s on the charger now. But when I kick start the bike, all the lights work except for the blinkers. Headlight works hi and low, dash lights work, tail light works, brake light works, and the two front blinkers light up solid orange. But the back two blinkers don’t blink at all and the front two come on solid, but don’t blink.

I feel like it has to be something simple since the bike is so dang clean. But I can’t seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Flasher or dirty contacts. That's pretty simple. Did they work when you picked up the bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I just picked it up yesterday. Didn’t work then either and I just thought it was because the battery was dead.

Is there supposed to be a clicking sound when you turn the blinker switch one, like in a vehicle? Because there is not.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yes, the front lights should be on similar to a running light all the time. If you don't like that you can disconnect them. So your lights (at least your front one's) do at least work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the front 2 lights come on solid and stay on. The back blinkers just don’t come on. And the blinker indicator on the dash does not come on. That’s what has me thinking it must be the blinker relay.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Ok, then that’s my problem I’m betting. I here no sounds. I’m guessing it’s the relay. Do you know where I can find the relay on the bike?

And can someone tell me if it’s normal for the front signal lights to both be on solid when the bike is running?
On both my 2005 and 2015 TW's the flasher relay was on the right side kind of hidden around the frame just above the exhaust.

I believe all but the 1987 models, the "running lights" (blinkers), are on steady when it's running.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Before spending that much you might want to inspect the switch on the handlebar. It’s possible that it’s not making good contact or corroded or dirty. Not too hard to take apart and inspect. Just don’t tighten that little screw too tight when you reassemble as I believe it’s only going into plastic. My 89 was kinda crusty and was hard to operate. I cleaned it and put a tiny bit of dielectric grease on the contact points. Much better but it’s still 30 years old so my expectations were low.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If that relay turns out to be your problem, I have one for shipping cost....~$5.00? It could also be a wiring fault to the rear signals.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If that relay turns out to be your problem, I have one for shipping cost....~$5.00? It could also be a wiring fault to the rear signals.
I may be taking you up on that! Thanks! I’m gonna try to take the switch apart this weekend and see if there is any corrosion or anything causing the problem. With as clean as the bike is, I can’t imagine there would be something wrong with the wiring. And with it not clicking, the solenoid or relay sounds like the likely culprit. And since the front lights come on, the wiring seems to be ok at least to those two lights.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hmm ...

I haven't got that far with with my 87 ( yet ) but as delivered , the rears and front right were not working .

The rears were just a matter of bodged wiring and the front was a bad connection . But still wouldn't cycle , so I suspect the flasher and yeah I saw the $ for the replacement ..WTF !

I'm thinking there's no reason an automotive flasher won't work (cheap ) which I will try soon , but I've been busy with other ... stuff .

I might start with the connections at the front ( which involves headlight removal for better access ) armed with a test light and check for voltages . The fact that your fronts respond indicates ( to me ) that there is a connection issue .

The dash indicators are nothing more than an extra light in the circuit so if the fronts respond , obviously somethings amiss . ( Yes Capt.Obvious )

First things first though , might be coincident but confirm all affected bulbs are good and for voltage at all connections , a lot of times it's just a bad ground .

Good luck .

Edit ; I might run up to the auto parts today and get a flasher , see if it works .

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
....as clean as the bike is, I can’t imagine there would be something wrong with the wiring. .....
It's easy to inspect the rear signal wiring, which is partly exposed under the frame. Look for cuts from rocks thrown up or the connectors pulled apart. You may have to clip the wire ties to see. A wiring diagram is handy, there is one here somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the switch apart on the bars and the inside was clean. The hi/lo part works fine and the horn button works fine. Nothing observable wrong with the blinker part.

The wires under the rear fender going to either side blinker are all ok. I checked that part first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I figured it out and it was the simplest of fixes. I was looking on the frame for the PSI recommendations for the tires and I saw what looked like the blinker relay on the inside of the fork. I looked at it closer and saw nothing was plugged into it! A little below it I found a plastic connection fitting that was unplugged and plugged it into the relay. And magic, blinkers work like a charm! I just knew it had to be something simple!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts