TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the University of Washington where they have been monitering my heart issue for the last couple years yesterday.

When doing a ride with Fred a few years ago in the high mountains I was in trouble. My body was retaining fluid and I had to head for home. Since then I finally got a doc that really has helped. My heart has shrunk back down and is putting out 50% more blood than it was.

So here is my issue. I am being put on Eloquis. I am told that if I hit my head to immediately go to the hospital for an MRI to check for bleeds. I have been on warfarin and they can't seem to get me regulated. It is safer as they can use vitamin K to thicken the blood. Eliquis has nothing that can stop it's effectiveness.

So here is my problem. I am thinking of letting all my bikes go to better homes. Will pick up a sidexside and become a putt putt as bad as I hate to. I have a 94, an 03 and a 09 TW, a ct110 honda that is near a museum piece, a Kawasaki 1500 vulcan and a honda goldwing 1800. The two big ones are set up for pulling a trailer. I have one trailer.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I was at the University of Washington where they have been monitering my heart issue for the last couple years yesterday.

When doing a ride with Fred a few years ago in the high mountains I was in trouble. My body was retaining fluid and I had to head for home. Since then I finally got a doc that really has helped. My heart has shrunk back down and is putting out 50% more blood than it was.

So here is my issue. I am being put on Eloquis. I am told that if I hit my head to immediately go to the hospital for an MRI to check for bleeds. I have been on warfarin and they can't seem to get me regulated. It is safer as they can use vitamin K to thicken the blood. Eliquis has nothing that can stop it's effectiveness.

So here is my problem. I am thinking of letting all my bikes go to better homes. Will pick up a sidexside and become a putt putt as bad as I hate to. I have a 94, an 03 and a 09 TW, a ct110 honda that is near a museum piece, a Kawasaki 1500 vulcan and a honda goldwing 1800. The two big ones are set up for pulling a trailer. I have one trailer.
I say you should buy the very best helmet that money can buy and keep on riding! Seriously. I have hit my head on many occasions and all of the worst ones were while I was either walking or stationary "standing up or bending over". Don't quit doing what you love just do the best you can to minimize risk.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
First dibs on the CT110...

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
Try to keep riding brother Plumb or we can bubble wrap you up before you ride. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Plumb, my Mother was on the rat poison for the latter part of her life. She took a header off a small step once and a small gash caused a real mess and took two months to seal up. I know where you are coming from but packing it in will only increase the depression. Pick one, your fav, and keep it. Unload the rest or hang on to em to look at and will them to someone you love. The Tdub is the next thing to a scooter and a lot safer. Maybe keep riding but fall back with the weenies (like me. lol). You will still enjoy life.:victorious:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I totally agree with Fred. You need a very good helmet and by all means continue riding. Yesterday I was in my shed looking for my tank bag, I had stupidly left my framing square hanging from my top shelf. It came off and the corner of it hit me square in the forehead above my left eye, it looked like I was on blood thinners. I agree with Tom that it is all of the other things in life that you need to be careful of. You should consider keeping a hardhat handy for normal chores around the property.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just a guess that they are not talking about bleeding from getting a cut on his head.
More likely talking about his brain bouncing around from a fall strength impact; which no helmet will stop.
Even with a helmet in a SxS; he may have to be cautious enough to not have it bang hard against a roll bar.
A 3-wheeler on the pavement might be the ticket. Converting the Goldwing, or getting a Slingshot type.
Good luck in whatever you choose Randall.

·
Registered
127 Posts

The issue with any impact activity while on anti-coagulants is external and internal bleeding. The latter is insideous. Hemorrhaging of a vein or artery, or ruptured spleen, can lead to death. The injured person is most likely not even aware of the danger.

Bleeding under Warfarin can be reversed in a hospital. Not so for the new anti-coagulants.

I am on thinners and want to buy a TW. My cardiologist refuses to discuss it. My son is a sports medicine doctor and he has said keeping speed below 25 greatly reduces the chance of internal bleeding.

So I will accept the risks, but reduce the danger by riding cautiously. A good helmet, no bare skin, watching for potential falls and keeping my speed down. I will poke along, and be pleased to do so.

I wish you well on your decision.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Dag nab it Randall, it is hard to accept that the Eloquis will either rule, or end your life.

Side by sides, ATVs, and 4x4s can give your head side to side jolts that going down trail in with 2 wheels would never do. I'm not saying fear the alternatives you proposed, but perhaps re-think how to embrace TW putt-putting again. I too am learning how to ride safer and gentler. And certainly pounding down the road on the Vulcan or GoldWing has got to be gentler than heavy equipment operation and normal chores.
I realize that sometimes the heart has a hard time accepting what the mind says is true. Best wishes.

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Now that you have our opinions please get a second opinion from the medical community. This is a life changing issue that centers on your attempt to balance quality of live vs. quantity of life. There should be some way of managing risk short of becoming a couch potato. You are so full of life!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right Fred as are the others that encourage me to stay on two wheels. We all take risks everyday and I will have to adjust my throttle. As long as Fred isn't in front of me trying to chase him down I should be ok. Thanks for all your support for me. Letting my TW go would be a lot worse than my divorce, happy days on the horizon.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There have been people to die in SxSs because of head injuries or other bizarre circumstance. I don't know what I would do. Riding is one of the very few things I can do that doesn't make my lower back spiral into crippling back pain. I've had a side by side and enjoyed it (room for the wife/dog). It can be fun and challenging as well. And I didn't see it mentioned, but for external injuries, there are trauma packs available. Good for stopping external bleeding like you might get from a gunshot or an ax head that went too far south. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Let’s look at the definition of
qual·i·ty of life
noun
the standard of health, comfort, and happiness experienced by an individual or group.
"the things that are needed for a good quality of life

Health. Well you took a hit here, but it’s not catastrophic

Confort. What I’ve seen in your posts it appears you have this covered well

Happiness. If riding makes you happy...Ride, but if you feel “been there done that” I would take up a another hobby that’s less dangerous.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I do remember that ride you had to cut out of for health reasons and another ride when you cut your head when you tumbled backwards down the mountain and cut your face on a bush and didn't want to remove the blood. Another time in Moab when we had to tow your broken ass out on a rope. You have been going thru a lot of changes since then, I'm aware. I vote you keep your favorite Tdub. You can sell the rest. I hope we ride again someday. Take your vitamins and go to bed early.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts