TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both brand new for the SAME price. Obviously the 2019 would make better financial sense, but I'm just not sure about the Sandy Beige color. Any thoughts on this? I know...dumb question. Haven't seen either in person yet, just looked at a TON of internet pictures of both. So...help me decide. Will be my first TW after having lots of much larger bikes. Just want to do some trail riding again (55 years old) and thought it'd be nice to ride to the trails from the house.

Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
19,200 Posts
Will the sandy beige blend in with your trail environment making it hard to locate your bike afger a hike? Blue stands out a bit more.
I like the new colors, I vote for the beige

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This board certainly wins the prize for the fastest post response. Thanks guys!

I know this is a separate question...or wonder...lol. I've owned and ridden in the woods an XR650R, two WR250F, YZ250 2-stroke, DR650, XR250R, XR400, ATK 605 END, ATK 260 LQ, and probably more. Liked all of them, but the worst for me was the DR650...just awful on trails...even with emulators, springs, etc. I'm 55 and just had my second laminectomy/discectomy...first surgery was 22 years ago, second one was two weeks ago...LOL. Just kind of looking for something to do some trail riding with this spring. Don't think I really want to thrash through the woods anymore. Pluses would be being able to ride to the trails (only about 5 miles away) and if my wife wants to learn how to ride, it would be good for her since she's small.

Suspension travel is the main question if my head. I'm guessing (hoping) that the tires on the TW make up for at least some lack of travel. Also guessing that the few people that complain about it are maybe running too much pressure off road?

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts
Lower air pressure and light springs do help. A stock TW almost feels like a rocking horse to me. I beefed up both front and rear springs to make it feel more like a regular motorcycle, but I'm also a big guy. At your age with back problems and wanting to perhaps teach your wife how to ride, it would be a great bike. I can relate to the back probs, I've been through that also and a third of my back is either gone now or fused, plus part of my hip bone is gone. Short easy rides for me nowadays. Try to find one to sit on or if you share your location, I bet there's a member near you who would let you sit and maybe ride theirs... ;) We're a good friendly bunch here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The lack of speed and power makes up for the lack of suspension.lol

·
Super Moderator
17,629 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
The older I get, the less I want to hurt myself. I feel safe on this little motorcycle. It does everything I want, and at the same time keeps me off the highway.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
.....Don't think I really want to thrash through the woods anymore. Pluses would be being able to ride to the trails (only about 5 miles away) and if my wife wants to learn how to ride, it would be good for her since she's small.
Suspension travel is the main question if my head. I'm guessing (hoping) that the tires on the TW make up for at least some lack of travel. Also guessing that the few people that complain about it are maybe running too much pressure off road?....
The people complaining abut the suspension are either trying to ride the TW like it was a WR250F or they are well above 200 lbs. The latter can be fixed with heavier springs and the correct oil level (usually about 20 mm too low for Americans). I kept the stock springs and set a 130 mm oil level.....works pretty well for me at 200.

I'm 70 and my days of bashing around the hills and woods are about 40 years in the past. I just love putt-putting along on the TW at 10 to 20 mph and the suspension is just fine for that. The tires can be aired down to 12 to 14 psi and it does help the ride a bit. The OEM front is not much good in dirt and most of us have changed it to a Shinko 241. The low seat height is a really big plus, and only 6 inches of travel is the trade off.

I changed the front sprocket to a 13 for a bit more power up here at 5-8,000 feet yet I can still go about 60 on pavement. I would air up to about 18 psi for more than about 5 miles on pavement. The beige 2018 is my second TW, and I really like the looks of it. 16,000 trouble free miles on the white 2010....this 2018 will last until I can no longer ride! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Rocky. Hey! Had a 1200GS too once...and the 650 when it first came out. Think it was '99 and was called a Funduro. Had the Rotax mill.

Anyway, my street rides now are a 2007 Heritage Classic and a 2013 Goldwing.

Just plunked a deposit down to hold a new 2019 TW about two hours ago! I'm thinking about mods already...nothing too crazy...

Carb Jetting...usually do this to all my bikes. Typically needle, richer jetting, and drilling the slide for faster lift. Is this pretty much the same routine for the TW? I'm around 2000 feet. Always get the JD kits.

Larger Footpegs?

Pro-Tapers...either 7/8 or oversize with a bar adapter...like the Tusk one. Usually do like CR high or Henry/Windham...any thoughts? I'm 5'5"

Rear Fender Rack

Maybe shorter turn signals. I can see the stock ones grabbing stuff.

Had three DR650's and always purchased a plastic Clarke tank for them. Thought about doing the same for the TW, but I've read a lot of complaints about the fitment. I could just cover it with Xpel. Would help with scratches, but not with dents.

Thank you EVERYONE!
Russ

·
Registered
19,200 Posts
You will love your new bike’s ability to entertain at rediculously slow speeds. All the intended mods will make it just that much better. Zooming around is great but as slow ”smell the flowers speeds” the TWs are quiet enough to hear the birds or converse with another rider.
Suspension upgrades can help to a certain degree. One of my TWs has about 9” in front , very sweet. The effective mod for the other stock suspended TW was just modifying my riding style to match the TW’s 6 inches of travel. I remember I am not a teenager anymore and recalibrate my estimation of safe obstacle entry speeds appropriately
Congratulations!
Clark tank fitment issues are by no means a deal killer. It is not like they fail, explode and kill people considering all the home grown solutions folks come up with here.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I fell in love with the 2018 - 2019 colors they look way sharper in person

I was offered a steal on a 2018 with 21 miles so I had to give one a try

I also love the 2014 and 2016 -17 Blues but I think the new Black is awesome - my eyes focus on the black not the beige for some reason
SAM_9100.JPG SAM_9101.JPG SAM_9102.JPG SAM_9111.JPG SAM_9117.JPG SAM_9112.JPG

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
You should pick beige because it goes well with snow.

Dogs like tan better too. This is my '05 in tan a few years back. I say tan because I can spell it better than beige. Pick beige (tan). :p

·
Registered
49 Posts
Both colors are great, but I’m partial to the blue. Why are they both same price? If it’s the same shop, I’m sure you can get a few hundred off the 2017. There’s slim chance they won’t negotiate at all on a 2 year old bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts