18,142 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My dad had an R85 back in the early '70s. It was a dog. My Honda 450 twin could smoke it, speed, acceleration, handling, maintenance, (couldn't find anyone to work on that piece o crap)....

Edited to ad I never understood the money hole mystique of BMW. Look up consumers reports for the most unsatisfied motorcycle customers and see what bike they own.

Here, did it for you.

http://motorbikewriter.com/what-are-most-reliable-motorcycles/

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Just get an old GS 800 from the eighties. One of the factory riders built the Scheck BMW out of one of them. I believe it was used in the ISDT. I know it was used in the Paris Dakar.
One of them was ridden By a very determined fellow to be the first vehicle to go from the arctic ocean the the Straits of Magellan alone with no support crew. Now that was an adventure ride.
Read the book ( Magnificent Obsession ).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'll probably never get a Beemer but I'm really impressed with Ton-Up Garage. Their work is very inspirational for the motor bike modder.
I'd love to see them resto -mod a Tdub:icon_thumright:.

MAC

Reactions: jtomelliott49

·
Registered
638 Posts
My dad had an R85 back in the early '70s. It was a dog. My Honda 450 twin could smoke it, speed, acceleration, handling, maintenance, (couldn't find anyone to work on that piece o crap)....

Edited to ad I never understood the money hole mystique of BMW. Look up consumers reports for the most unsatisfied motorcycle customers and see what bike they own.

Here, did it for you.

What are the most reliable motorcycles? - Motorbike Writer
Wow, feeling the burn. I have owned about a dozen different bikes in the last 20 years. I have enjoyed them all for something they did. But the one I have kept is the R100GS Airhead. Not the best at anything, but OK at everything. It has been reliable and cost effective to own. It requires enough, easy to do maintenance, to make me bond. 18 years later I can't for see sell it.
My favorite rebuild/restoration was of a 1976 R75/7. Controls were quirky, power was marginal, breaks required a very firm grip. Yet, every ride left me with an ear to ear grin. Character just burst out of that bike and into my heart with each outing. Sold it to a good friend who lets me trade him one of my current rides when I need a reminder that it is all about how the bike makes you feel.
OK rant mode off
I like the looks of this /5 except the filter pods. Actually not the pods but the filter box with snorkel fitting still hanging out. If you like the looks, use it. If you don't, do something else. Bit odd to have it just hanging out there.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Is the BMW boxer twin a Volkswagen minus two cylinders and two wheels??? lol I don't think they built the boxers to outrun Hondas or Moto Guzzis. Lots of BMW's have lots of miles on them though. My brother has the K100, 1985 model. Close to 200,000 miles with no major repairs. He's very satisfied. I don't think he races it. Just sayin'.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a 2001 R1150GS. I love it and will never sell it. Before that I had a 2000 R1100R and a 87 R65. Wish I never sold the R65. My first BMW was a R75/7. It was heavy and slow compared to the Guzzi V65 it replaced. Wish I never sold the Guzzi. Which BTW was not much different than the V7 Classic, Guzzi's most popular model! Why can't BMW make a new R65 or R80 today?

·
Registered
638 Posts
... Why can't BMW make a new R65 or R80 today?
BMW as moved on. Even the R model (boxer twins) they make today have a completely different philosophy than the airhead days. I road a new GS and it is an amazing machine. But heavy and complex. Too many things I'm not sure I could fix. The older bikes do require maintenance, but it is easy to do. I once adjusted a carburetor on the interstate without stopping, or even slowing down much. Bike started running funny, looked down and the right side carb was hanging half out of the engine. I realized that i hand not tightened up the band clamp. So I flicked my throttle lock on. reached down and shoved the carb back into the boot. finger tightened the clamp and continued on my way for about another 20 miles to the next rest area, where I pulled off and took under a minute to tighten it up properly. Not going to do that on a newer model.
Hanging out at an "airhead" rally is an interesting experience. Simple is a passion. But there are a fair number of riders that are riding their fathers or even grandfathers bikes. There is something deeply satisfying about a piece of machinery that can out live its owner, and continue to be used.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts