TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody want to throw in ther 2 cents on this bike.

The reasson I'm looking at this bike is because I would like to be able to get out on the hwy (US395), ride 300-400 miles, be able to keep up with traffic spends easily and then be able to get off rode to get to my favorite fishing holes.

I have not test ridden one yet but one thing that jumps out is the seat. Looks a little TW-ish and my butt gets a little tired (sore) after a while in it.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169810

I'm admittedly biased, having racked up close to 400,000 KLR miles (spread out between 4 bikes since 1986. All were still running perfectly when sold at 80,000+ miles, btw) including some 1,000 mile Iron Butt rides. It may be slightly more sophisticated to some, but I never considered the BMW much of a value, particularly for your stated purposes.

Cool factor aside, unless you need a low seat height you might consider a KLR or even a DR650 with an oversized tank, then buy a couple more TW's with the change.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The BMW is a fine motorcycle and quite capable offroad in skilled hands. It's not a TW, though. A couple friends in Texas have them. One dualsports his, the other has an XT350. Don't expect great single-track capability, but for most forest srevice and park roads it will do. Reports are that 70mpg is the norm no matter how you ride. Reports of high routine maintenance costs, too, some of which must be done by the dealer.

If I won the lottery I'd consider a F650GS. Otherwise, I'd go with a KLR. The DR and XR 650s both really need a lot of help to make long road rides anything other than torture, but they both beat a GS or KLR offroad. Choose your compromises wisely.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
BMW's are ok but get a KLR! I've had mine for two years with very little problems and the ones that did show up I was able to fix myself. Also it's got a big gas tank and with a Wal-Mart seat pad it make a good long range highway ride. Save some money and farkle it up to anything you want.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
BMW's are ok but get a KLR! ...
Hi X.

Them's fightin' words!
:

I've had both. Still have the DR and the TW.

The F650 is a high dollar, high tech,very capable motorcycle... fuel injection, water cooled, some have abs. There are plenty of riders who love the F650 (single), and it's been around the world. I never could fall in love with it, and after a year I sold it.

The DR650 is a low cost, air cooled, carbureted bike. I think of it as the big brother of the TW200.

jb

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
No fight here my friend. It's just after talking with some Beemer owners and some of the issues they have had I'm more than convinced that my plain,clean and more or less simple KLR is a better way to go. But if a Beemer floats your boat...Go for it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
All of these are good bikes but if you want something a little different and bang for the buck look at the MZ Baghira/Mastiff.

The sweet reliable Yamaha 660 motor and a cheap initial purchase price. A couple low mile bikes sold recently on eboy for $1400 and $1800. Seat isn't as comfy as the BMW but with the money saved you could custom order a miniature barcalounger covered in rabbit fur and strap it on the MZ.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyones 2 cents. Really appreciate you taking the time.

FWIW, I looked into the KLR and DR650's and the seat height was the issue there.

Im 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and didnt feel confortable on either bike. The BMW seat height is 32 inches.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

FWIW, I looked into the KLR and DR650's and the seat height was the issue there.
The F650GS single is a good bike. If you are thinking of a new one, they are now called a G650GS (single cylinder). The F650GS is now a detuned 800cc twin cylinder bike.

By the way, I'm the same size as you. I put the suspension of my DR650 in the stock "low" position, then added a lowering link. Seat height is now the same as the BMW.

jb

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

Im 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and didnt feel confortable on either bike. The BMW seat height is 32 inches.

Thanks again
Your legs are 1 inch longer than mine.I'm used to riding dirt bikes that are alot taller than me so it's not an issue. Kawasaki does however make lowering links and a thinner gel saddle to bring the height down. Where there is a will there is a way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess maybe I'll have to re-look in to the KLR and DR. Seat height is a major concern for me. I have to feel comfortable on the bike and two feet pretty firmly planted on the ground when stopped is a nust.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
CP,

If you are set on the BMW, don't let anyone talk you out it. It's a good bike. The seat height is actually 30.7" That's one of the reasons I originally bought it.

At the time, BMW also offered a "low chassis" version with a seat height of around 29". I don't know if it is still offered. On a test ride, I found it actually too low for my 30" inseam.

Almost any bike can be lowered in some manner. When you lower it, you give up some suspension travel. For my type of riding it didn't make any difference.

BMW just announced an updated G650GS for 2011. Looking at the specs, it seems only to be a cosmetic change.

Do your homework. Read the articles on the internet.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/122_0905_bmw_g650gs_vs_kawasaki_klr650/analog_system.html

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/616/8311/Motorcycle-Article/2011-BMW-G650GS-First-Look.aspx

http://www.bmwmoa.org/bike/bike_reviews_news/bmw_2009_g650gs_review

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/BMW/2010_G650GS/BMW_G650GS_Test.htm

BMW is also one of the few dealers that offer test rides. Go ahead and try one before you buy.

I found the DR650 better suited me, Xracer likes the KLR.

Check them all out, then buy the one that makes your eyes light up, and your heart beat faster.

jb

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
+1 for the DR650. Super reliable, easy and cheap to maintain (low maintenance), priced right, plenty of power and geared tall enough to cruise highway all day, yet still more capable than the BMW or Kawasaki off road, significantly lighter than either of those bikes, can also be lowered, and a gel seat can be purchased from Suzuki and installed to drop the seat height by another inch and a half on top of the lowering, which will also make the ride more comfortable.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Like cptrout, I am also thinking of getting a BMW. Last week I had the chance to sit on the new G650GS - both standard and lowered seat - and I absolutely fell in love with it. Very compact, a bit small for a tall person, but just perfect for me! Well it still looks like a big bike with me on it

The old G650GS single-cylinder is actually the same bike but the looks is nothing like the new one. And then there is the Xcountry, fun bike, extremely lightweight and peppier...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the links JB. I have been doing alot of reading and starting to get overload. Been reading alot about lowering the bike to a more comfortable seat height. From how I described how I plan on using the bike, see original post, what would be the best way to accomplish this? Anybody using an aftermarket seat such as a Corbin or using lowering links? The DR from what I read is setup at the factory to be lowered quite easily, is this true?

Thanks again to everyone for there input.

CP

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
... Anybody using an aftermarket seat such as a Corbin or using lowering links? The DR from what I read is setup at the factory to be lowered quite easily, is this true?

The DR650 does have a low suspension position built in, but some uninformed dealers don't know about it.

It involves putting the rear shock in a different hole and turning over the lower spacer.

To lower the front, the forks need to be disassembled and the position of the spacer moved... or you can just slide the forks up an inch in the triple tree (much easier).

You will also need to get the shorter kick stand (available from Suzuki)($55. US).

For me, 30" inseam, this still was not low enough, So I put on a lowering link.

One is available from Procycle ($70. US)

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

I also put on the "low" Sargent seat. Corbin also makes one, and Suzuki makes a gel seat which is lower (I did not care for it)

http://www.sargentcycle.com/suzwsdr650.htm

The DR stock suspension is on the soft side, so when you sit on the bike, it will sag about an inch more.

Seems like a lot to do, but it can be done in a day by someone with average mechanical skills, or you can have the dealer do it.

Figure about $500. USD for the seat, lowering link, and short kick stand, the seat being the most expensive, $350. US

Hope this helps you make your decision.

jb

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again JB,

Question on that Sargent seat. What's the width of the seat? Looks fairly wide and I like that because if im gonna be an the hwy for extended periods I gotta have some butt support.

Thanks

CP

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
...Question on that Sargent seat. What's the width of the seat?...
I don't recall offhand. The low Sargent is flatter, but I don't believe it's any wider than the stock seat.

See the Sargent cmparison chart.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/pdf/WS-600 601 Height Comparison.pdf

This may seem obvious but everyone's butt is different. On the DR thread on Advrider, some like the Corbin better, some like the Sargent, some like the Suzi gel seat, and some tolerate the stock seat.

The Sargent and Corbin are more firm than the stock seat. They also take a bit of riding to break them in.

Nearly every bike I have had, I needed to put on an aftermarket seat if I wanted to do "all day" rides. See the photo of my F650 BMW. I used a BeadRider, mainly because I was tired of paying $400 or more for another seat. BMW stock seats are notoriously uncomfortable.

I think that whichever bike you get, you may be looking for a better seat.

Dual sport bikes aren't known for their cushy seats. If riding comfort is your primary goal, you will need a cruiser style bike.... or a Goldwing.

jb

1 - 20 of 30 Posts