·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Wonder how pricey they will be? Looks nice though... :D

Reactions: akalogan

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I was really trying to avoid this thread because I try not to be too negative. I failed. Here it goes, unless they price it at around $4800 it is a huge waste of money, for an even $4000 you could purchase a Honda CB 300F and it is only 6hp less. For $5000 you could get a KTM Duke 390 and 10 more hp. For the same $5000 you could get the Yamaha R3 and 4 more hp. My guess is BMW will put the price tag around $5800 and sell very few of these. Hope I am wrong though.

Tom

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was really trying to avoid this thread because I try not to be too negative. I failed. Here it goes, unless they price it at around $4800 it is a huge waste of money, for an even $4000 you could purchase a Honda CB 300F and it is only 6hp less. For $5000 you could get a KTM Duke 390 and 10 more hp. For the same $5000 you could get the Yamaha R3 and 4 more hp. My guess is BMW will put the price tag around $5800 and sell very few of these. Hope I am wrong though.

Tom
Agreed, fit and finish might be a little better than the Japanese competitors but the KTM will probably spank BMW in outright performance for around the same price and reliability.

There are plenty of enduro thumpers on the market in this displacement range, a 310GS would be pretty pointless for most riders. It would be much less exciting than a ~300cc twin powered mini adventure bike, in my opinion anyway.

I still think Yamaha has the motors to watch for this application in their 320 and 700 parallel twins. A 650 opposed twin shaft drive GS sure would shake things up though...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Agreed, fit and finish might be a little better than the Japanese competitors but the KTM will probably spank BMW in outright performance for around the same price and reliability.

There are plenty of enduro thumpers on the market in this displacement range, a 310GS would be pretty pointless for most riders. It would be much less exciting than a ~300cc twin powered mini adventure bike, in my opinion anyway.

I still think Yamaha has the motors to watch for this application in their 320 and 700 parallel twins. A 650 opposed twin shaft drive GS sure would shake things up though...
A Tenere 320 could be pretty cool. That R3 motor is pretty punchy for what it is.

IMO, the biggest issue with most of these bikes is the weight. Even the "light" mid-size adventure bikes are over 450 pounds. I think that would be the big issue with a possible 310 GS as well.

Personally I think CSC has the small (but only relatively light) adventure market tied down pretty tightly right now. It would definitely be among my top choices if I were looking right now. I'd take an RX3 over a G310 any day. If BMW actually made a 310 GSA, I'd wager that it wouldn't really perform much better than the RX3, would be heavier, and would cost a lot more.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Anyway, BMW has produced a few dirt bikes and dual sports over the years. Unfortunately none have stuck. They can't seem to make one without little niggling issues - one that really works and doesn't cost a million bucks.

I really liked the G650X Challenge - except for all the BS problems.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Beemer parts and service are 'spensive.

If their 310 uses $32 a piece spark plugs and $4 a piece one time use only bolts like their K series bikes do then it's doomed outside of brand loyalists.

·
Registered
425 Posts
They had a 450 by time I was gonna buy one stopped making them can't find a used one.I did last year I sat on it too long weekend I went to stealer ship to finally deal it was gone.

Husky kept using that motor in the TC line I believe until 2013 or 14 not sure which. It sounded like they even ironed out some of the wrinkles.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Beemer parts and service are 'spensive.

If their 310 uses $32 a piece spark plugs and $4 a piece one time use only bolts like their K series bikes do then it's doomed outside of brand loyalists.
That's most likely what BMW is trying to build. Just like everyone else they are trying to attract new riders and make them loyal to the brand.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I was really trying to avoid this thread because I try not to be too negative. I failed. Here it goes, unless they price it at around $4800 it is a huge waste of money, for an even $4000 you could purchase a Honda CB 300F and it is only 6hp less. For $5000 you could get a KTM Duke 390 and 10 more hp. For the same $5000 you could get the Yamaha R3 and 4 more hp. My guess is BMW will put the price tag around $5800 and sell very few of these. Hope I am wrong though. Tom
The BMW has ABS so it will be priced quite a bit higher than those mentioned that don't have it.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
The BMW has ABS so it will be priced quite a bit higher than those mentioned that don't have it.
Fair enough. The Duke 390 does have ABS standard from the factory. The Honda has it as an option "even with ABS" the Honda is still under $5000. I do not think the Yamaha R-3 has an ABS option. Like I said before BMW will HAVE to bring this bike to market for no more than $5800 or they will not sell. They are very late to this particular dance so they will have to go ugly early;)

Tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts