TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found another Beemer to play with a couple of days ago, here's the little barn fresh beauty after I cleaned off a ton of dust and bird poop. It's a little ratty but runs perfectly. A few goodies should start arriving next week, I think I'll make a old fart's café bike out of it and go play on the twisty's :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 84 R80 G/S that I bought new. Love these old airheads. That will be a good one to make a cafe out of. All the old airheads do. And you can sometimes buy an old RT pretty cheap as it cost so much to restore them to original condition that building cafes out of them makes for a neat bike on the cheap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I recently sold my R65, but it was one sweet bike. There's a good forum for them too. For me now at 75 trhe TW is a better fit. I have been having a blast on it this summer.

Will

·
Registered
648 Posts
How well does it handle? i rode a 4 cylinder 80s Honda Sabre last year. Loved the howl and straightline speed but it couldn't handle at all. Felt like a big boat to me.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks Tommy, It was a buddy deal. The bike belonged to a friend and he knew I'd blown my back and had to give up heavy bikes. This is the last year the R65 had the small frame, it's lower and lighter than most 650 road bikes. It doesn't hurt to ride it, and I can even pop it up on the center stand with no problem. I'm waiting on new tires, handlebars, filters, a battery, shocks, a seat, and a bunch of small stuff. Over all I've spent $750 getting it back in shape, nothing serious just a lot of piddly stuff from sitting so long. When I'm done I'll have a nice little ride for about $1650, not bad at all. I'm looking forward to the next week or so of bolting stuff on, tires are supposed to be here today!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
Back in the later 60's a neighbor had one. I believe it was a r50/55? or something along that size. He let me try it and I rode it all over the place cruising the strip and along the beach's in San Diego. I just remember it as being the smoothest bike I ever rode. I still think it was. I'd love to have an older one that was real clean. We want pics when you are done! Glad to have you back Dan! We missed you around here.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh man I remember the old R50's, they were very nice, this one is as smooth as you remember too!, I'll keep this thread going with a few pictures of the progress.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This looks like a really fun bike. Looking forward to the progress pics.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well I got the rear tire mounted, but the front one won't be here till next week. The new rear shocks should be here tomorrow. I ordered one of those cool little café faring's for it too, It will be very much like this when I'm done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are on facebook, subscribe to Cafe Racer. Most of the bikes they build are airheads. I am helping a friend build one out of a 71 R50. Have put an R80 engine and 5 speed trans in it. These things are a lot like the old VWs in more way than one. If you know which parts to use you can do some neat upgrades by simply bolting on later parts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Now you guys got me looking for one. Found a sweet looking red 81 with 22k on the clock for $4000. The guy said he is a bit flexible on the price, and said he paid $3600 for it 8 months ago. ( has a battle with cancer and is giving up riding, for now ) He listed it as an LS model, but I thought they started in 82? The nose piece looks too rounded, too, so I have my doubts. Although I don't know how to post the CL ad, it can be found on North Jersey Craigslist. If one of you guys want to check out the ad and let me know if it is indeed an LS model, I'd appreciate it. The ad was posted a week ago. ( type this in the search box : BMW R65 )

1 - 20 of 60 Posts