TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the spark arrester on a 2019 TW200? I have removed the one visible screw and it will not budge!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
They get rusted in place. Use a spray penetrating oil. Or take the bike for a ride and try removing it after the muffler has heated up. Why remove it?

·
Registered
372 Posts
As a side note, these bikes come lean from the factory and removing the spark arrestor will reduce back pressure causing it to run more lean and reducing power.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If you managed to get the screw out, there is a good chance you can get the spark arrestor on a 2019 to loosen up. Heat around the joint with a heat gun or carefully with a torch until it is spitting hot when you spit on it. Then spray the joint liberally with PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil. Leave it overnight. Repeat in the morning, then carefully pour cold water on the arrestor. Make some kind of cardboard dam so that none of the water gets onto the muffler. Now take a leather, rubber, or plastic mallet and hit the rear part of the arrestor back and forth from side to side and top to bottom, hard, but not hard enough to dent. If it moves, grab it with heavy welding gloves and yank the tip back and forth while continuing to hit it. When you put it all back together, use a liberal amount of anti-seize on the arrestor and the screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They get rusted in place. Use a spray penetrating oil. Or take the bike for a ride and try removing it after the muffler has heated up. Why remove it?
I want a little noise but I promise I’ll put it back before I go out and about. Thanks Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts