TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day when I was a kid (or at least “significantly younger”), body armour didn’t exist unless you were a regular on the racing circuit. Even then, a decent set of leathers was enough to be going on with, knee pads being optional for the posers who couldn’t get it down enough in a bend, so had to stick their knee out until it touched the road.

Nowadays, you can’t buy a motorcycle jacket without armour — over here in the UK, we call it “CE approved” armour — about as much good as a mouse mat stuffed in there, a couple of elbow and shoulder mouse mats, and a longer one up the back. Probably good enough to keep you out of trouble from marauding Police dogs, and the occasional hit from a June bug (possibly from the rear on a TW) — but other than that, pretty much useless.

Looking at the “body” armour situation, it seems that you have the option of either kitting yourself out like a “Ninja Turtle”, spending mega-bucks on a Quad Armour suit, or saving your money up for a visit to A&E.

Now, when it comes the humble TW, with a heart stopping top speed of “not a lot” — you have to kinda “tone things down” a bit — there’s no point in going for a pint of milk in a “turtle shell”, only to have the shop keeper reaching for a 12 bore beneath the counter — mind you, he’ll probably need “Double O” to shoot through it — but you can begin to see where I’m coming from …………..

Now I know that some of you will go for the “Full Monty” — moto-cross helmet — hard shell — Mad Max boots — Arnie “Terminator” shades - but it’s difficult to “look the part” when you wear that lot, step outside — and onto a TW.

Then there’s the “Randall” option — a Hickory shirt (with or without sleeves depending on the weather) — gloves, boots, red suspenders -and go (sun glasses optional) ………..

But then what happens on the trail, when you introduce your rib cage to a rock ?

So — my question here is — what “body armour”, (if any), do you wear whilst riding the TW ?

Because I’m so tempted to put these “CE” mouse mats to better use - (probably jammed between the skid plate and the engine) ……………….

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think you nailed it, the full monty option looks silly unless your performing in front of a crowd :)

I prefer my version of the Randall option, boots, jeans, tshirt, 3/4 helmet and shades. As things start to cool down I do start to wear more.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm likely the oddball out here, but I tend to wear the full kit. Armored darn-near-everything.

Call it silly, call me a klutz or a chicken it's all good. :) This poor meat sack I inhabit has seen far to many ground surfaces at very close range to want to do another inspection in bare skin and it sure doesn't heal as fast as it used to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I'm tooling around on the street, in town...I wear jeans, work boots and a t shirt. If I'm riding power lines or trails, I wear a Fox pressure suit, riding boots, Spidi gloves, Fox Legion pants and my motocross helmet.

Crashing a TW at 45 or 50 hurts just as bad as crashing any other motorcycle.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
there’s no point in going for a pint of milk in a “turtle shell”, only to have the shop keeper reaching for a 12 bore beneath the counter — mind you, he’ll probably need “Double O” to shoot through it — but you can begin to see where I’m coming from …………..
wait, what? why would he pull out a gun?

do they not like motorcyclists in englandland?

·
Registered
230 Posts
when I worked in the UK I remember hearing that motorcyclists are supposed to remove their helmets when going into stores due to robbers using their helmets as masks during robberies. Purple, is that the case?

wait, what? why would he pull out a gun?

do they not like motorcyclists in englandland?
For me it's Alpinestars leather pants, Oxtar boots, Tourmaster Pivot jacket and Arai Profile helmet. Luckily it stays fairly cool year round where I ride.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Around town, I will wear jeans, usually put on either my Sidi Adventures or some heavy Keen work boots and my Klim Induction mesh, always gloves of some sort, always my Shoei full face. I'll add my motorcycle pants (BMW Summer II) if I'm tooling around. I've been down on just a Sunday afternoon ride up the canyon & ended up in the hospital for 3 weeks so... I ride ATGATT for the most part. Looking at the Klim K-50-1 Jeans,with Kevlar, armor. Most accidents happen within 25 miles of home they say, and you are much more likely to injure your legs. Applied to me, but my helmet saved the brain parts. It's all about your own acceptance of risk. Riding is risky, without gear even more so. But it is your skin, your head, and trust me when I say you do not want to get skin grafts. DAMHIK. :eek:

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
ah, i see. i forgot britain was a nanny state with more laws than people...

if i'm wearing an open face helmet, i usually leave it on, but if i wear my full face helmet i usually take it off anyway because i find people can't hear/understand you and i end up having to shout at people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I'm like 90% of the people here . Around town , boots gloves Levi's and a T-shirt or light jacket weather permiting.
Off road no matter if I'm on the TW or the Husky I wear full body armor.....
$(KGrHqJHJE8FGTrL-MCdBRpn)Syr)g--60_12.JPG
$T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVnvVBRks38Lfig--60_12.JPG

·
Registered
343 Posts
My armor, shades.

But either because I do not know this new to me bike or because I stumbled across the "am I the only one that doesn't wear a helmet" thread here on this forum, I stuck my melon into a borrowed mx style helmet before wandering down the highway the other day.

Still feel like a dork with one on, but to tell you the truth, it wasn't too bad and I actually felt a bit...I dont know, safer?

But no armor.

???babysteps???

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when I worked in the UK I remember hearing that motorcyclists are supposed to remove their helmets when going into stores due to robbers using their helmets as masks during robberies. Purple, is that the case?
Pretty much — we live in an inner city world of CCTV — no face = threat.

Back in 1980 on the bike in London, I had to pay for fuel before pumping it — the guy behind the counter was Indian/Asian — let’s just say “I resented the implication”. I was young then, it was easy to take things personally, rather than consider the “corporate” approach. These days it happens a lot in the cities, like it or lump it, figure they’re playing the “odds”.

Suspicion is not unusual in the city centres here, and turning up at a shop dressed like a Ninja Turtle is very likely to get the guy reaching below the counter — whether that’s for a baseball bat or a fire arm — you take the chance …………..

Ironically, here in the sticks, there are far more (licenced) fire arms around, and much less suspicion.

“It’s a mad world my masters” ………………..

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
194 Posts
I hope I find time to answer this post in the manner which it deserves. Right now I don't have the time, but I'll just make a few comments. Purple is asking some very serious questions, although he is asking in a tongue-in-cheek manner. I have many friends in the UK, both riders and not. I believe that most if not all of them would have real problems with Purple's expressed viewpoints. Of course the UK is cooler and wetter than most of the US, which makes wearing full coverage garments less of an oddity there than here.

I was an emergency responder in Northern California for several years and went to many, many motorcycle accidents, both simple get-offs and multiple fatalities. Purple's ridiculing CE-approved armor as mouse-mats is frankly ridiculous. He is probably just ill-informed. I'll leave it at that. There are different levels of performance for CE approval, but even the lightest is far, far better and more protective than the "Randall" option.

As for feeling silly, EVERYBODY looks silly on a TW. Low-slung, very upright with those giant wheels. Silly? Hell yes, but for anyone who is not hung up on MACHO, they are simply FUN.

A lot of people think that most bike accidents happen way out in the sticks at 100 mph. BS. Most of them happen in cities and towns; usually at intersections at speeds easily attained even by the lowly TW. Only a fool would dress less protectively in traffic on a TW than on a faster bike. Unlike the bigger bike, a TW can not use acceleration to avoid an accident. Beyond that, a TW has one of the longest stopping distances compared to any other bike in the world.

Off-road, wear what you want. If you fall, it likely won't be serious. On pavement, however, impacts with cars are lessened by CE approved armor. Once down on the pavement, the tarmac acts like a cheese grater on bare skin. The end result is much like a 3rd degree burn, and hospitals treat road rash exactly the same.

As for "feeling silly", how silly would you feel when the nurses come into your room after an accident and wheeled you into a room with a whirlpool bath where they stripped you, put you in the bath and soaked off all of the newly scabbed-over road-rash wounds? It is the same as a 3rd degree burn, and the pain is excruciating. Silly ? That is the least of it. Sometimes they soak off the scabs more than once to avoid heavy scarring.

I began riding in 1946 and went 56 years before I went down in the street. Fortunately I was wearing full gear, although I was just going across town for a new tire. A woman on Px drugs came down off a hill in her BMW and smashed into me while I was sitting at a red light. Because of the hill, she was not in my mirrors long enough for me to avoid her. Why was I wearing all of that "silly" gear? Because I had seen up close what happens to people who are afraid to "look silly" and end up maimed or dead. I have been down twice since then. Once due to a deer running out of brush at close range, and once from a fellow rider day-dreaming and hitting me from behind as i slowed for a Border Patrol check-point. I hit the ground at about 50mph in both cases. I was able to ride the bikes home, although they were severely damaged.

I'll get off my soap box before I tell TWAROG about the three young people I saw in a morgue after crashing two Harleys into a car which turned in front of them. They had been dressed in typical Harley style and paid the price.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jacket over bare skin - no brainer - just wondering how good the extra "mouse mats" are - (and thank you - your input is appreciated) ...........

·
Registered
194 Posts
The absolute minimum wear for me on any bike is Kevlar-lined jeans, boots, gloves, a mesh jacket with light armor, and a full-face helmet. If I am strictly going to be in the dirt, I sometimes use a Motocross helmet and armored motocross pants.

Most of the mesh jacket armor is not CE approved. It is much like enclosed styrofoam, but as flimsy as it looks, it will absorb a hard impact very well, ONE TIME, but it compresses. Hopefully any subsequent impact will be on a different place. 8=)

Believe me, there is nothing better than getting up after going down, and finding that even in a severe accident, you are either unhurt of only slightly so. I rode for many years without any protection whatever. I was lucky. I learned from crashing in the dirt that protective gear made some of my dirt bike get-offs less painful. I took that lesson to the street. Fortunately.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Phantom.

I was not trying to minimize Purple's post/question.

I was raised on Honda ATCs. in dark black earthed corn and bean fields. We didn't have any gear and did not know any better. I have been shot off and fractured vertibraes.

Am getting older, more frail, and hopefully a bit smarter.

All I was saying was because of posts on this forum, much like yours, are making me pause and think a bit before I throw a leg over.

I'm smellin what your steppin in (another way to say I hear ya)

I'm learning.

Thank You for teachin.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Purple is asking some very serious questions, although he is asking in a tongue-in-cheek manner.
Forgive me — sometimes I have a way of posing the question that allows for both sides of the argument to be heard, despite personal preferences ……

I guess what I was hoping for was some suggestions or recommendations for something in between the (in my opinion) hopeless “mouse mats” posing as “Armour”, without going the half-shell route.

Whilst I agree that “anything is better than nothing”, I merely suggest that “mouse mats” are simply not enough — we’re out there thinking that we have “CE approved” body armour — when the lowest level of such is no more than “padding” …..

There has to be a better way ………….

·
Super Moderator
17,931 Posts
My armor, shades.

But either because I do not know this new to me bike or because I stumbled across the "am I the only one that doesn't wear a helmet" thread here on this forum, I stuck my melon into a borrowed mx style helmet before wandering down the highway the other day.

Still feel like a dork with one on, but to tell you the truth, it wasn't too bad and I actually felt a bit...I dont know, safer?

But no armor.

???babysteps???
JEFF!!!! Hey, you and me are bud's. I didn't know this at all. Jeff, HECK with the "babysteps!!" Get Some Safety Gear Right Now!!!! Geeeez bro...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts