TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Bolt/Screw upgrade

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
Newbie hear, and I apologize if this has been discussed before, I searched and did not really find anything.

I'm going to be replacing my crankcase cover gasket in the near future. The existing Philips head bolts are already stripped and I haven't even started to remove them yet (this is a 1996 bike). I've ready several post of people recommending upgrading these bolts (as well as others) to either caps screws or socket head cap screws, which I hoped to do, but had several questions

1. Any recommendation on bolt material/plating (black oxide, stainless, plated?) particularly going into the aluminum case

2. Any recommendations on anti-seize or similar

3. Does anyone know the size thread pitch and length of the cover bolts, (8 part #95027-06025-00, 2 part #95027-06035-00). I know I can measure mine, but I wanted to order the bolts if possible so I'll have them when the gasket gets here and I can't get to my bike for a couple of days.

Thanks for any help

See less See more
#5 ·
It was posted a long time ago. Luckily I captured the image and saved it for instances like this one. I hope it helps someone out.

Clueders92,

I actually went to the hardware store and matched up bolts to use for my TW, but I actually paid more for single bolts than I did for all of the stainless allen heads from alloyboltz.com.

#6 ·
Thanks rainman, just what I needed.

Regarding material, my limited research seems to indicate little advantage going with stainless at least with regards to seizing to the aluminum housing. Stainless would reduce surface rust potential, and may look nicer, this would be at the expense of higher cost and (as I've read) a softer material that may round out easier if they become seized in the future. This has me leaning toward standard high strength steel, possible plated with a good anti seize compound designed for aluminum. Thoughts?

Chad

#7 ·
Stock bolts with the proper JIC drivers, preferrably a hand impact to loosen.

Most bolts come from China these days and you can't depend on the quality of the metal or any coatings that may be on them. Trying to save a buck is often penny-wise and dollar foolish when China is involved.

When you pay for the good stuff, you get good stuff. Read and follow lable directions and your bolt problems are over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.