TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a new motorcycle rider and am still learning. After my off road accident a year and a half ago where I destroyed my ankle, I decided I should get some boots.

I will be driving my TW 80% on the street and 20% fire roads. I plan to stay on the road for at least the next two years while I learn how to ride.

I need a boot that is flexible and comfortable enough to walk around in most of the day. I would only be riding in the warmer months for now.

So what I would like to know is some recommendations on boots or features I should be looking for. Searching so far has me overwhelmed...

The avatar picture I use was taken 5 minutes before the crash.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have yet to find the unicorn boot. Good protective boots are not good walking around boots, and good walking around boots are not very protective. That pretty much leaves getting protective boots and carrying around a change of footwear that you can walk around in, or getting something you can walk around in and hope you don't destroy your ankle again if you ever go down. I advocate dressing for the slide over the ride. Here's my take on the boots I've used... https://youtu.be/gfwglvehwdU?t=530

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have yet to find the unicorn boot. Good protective boots are not good walking around boots, and good walking around boots are not very protective. That pretty much leaves getting protective boots and carrying around a change of footwear that you can walk around in, or getting something you can walk around in and hope you don't destroy your ankle again if you ever go down. I advocate dressing for the slide over the ride. Here's my take on the boots I've used... https://youtu.be/gfwglvehwdU?t=530
Yea I know there is no perfect boot. When I mean walk around like the grocery store or BBQ. No long treks.

What main things should I be looking for?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Really no boot that truly protects you is comfortable to walk in. I have hiked a fair amount in motocross boots and you just get used to it and adjust your stride. Or just carry a pair of sandals or shoes in your pack for when you want to be comfortable. Thats a hard won lesson.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have had years of good use from SIDI Sympatex boots, street, track, off road. Long treks up hills to take photos can be a bit of a chore, but on most rides I am in them 12 hours of the day and feel very protected.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have always worn my hiking boots …...they are obviously very comfortable ….currently I am using Red Wing leather boots with 6" tops and they give me all the support and protection I need …. never had a injury in 60 plus years of riding …...except some scrapes and soreness from falling....I quit falling years ago... not prudent...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have two sets of riding boots and will wear them according to terrain I am riding and plans for walking. If I know I am riding hard, rocks, single track, etc., I wear my not so comfortable, but super protective Gaerne GX-1's. If I know I will be taking it a little easier and/or hiking, walking a bit, I wear my Forma ADV high boots. As was stated, there is always a trade-off, but with boots those are the only two I am willing to make. This is just what I choose and my experience.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Look for a good stiff leather, and strong ankle support – and exactly the opposite in walking boots …

It’s always going to be a compromise, but I’ve settled on Forma full length. They’re wider than the average boot, which gives your feet more room to move around, while still strong enough for what we put them through. Go “one size up” when ordering. As we get older, our feet get bigger – not by a lot, but it happens. Then factor in “foot swell” in heat, and you’ll soon see why going one size larger makes all the difference, especially if you are wearing them all day and walking around in them

Loose enough to walk in them, strong enough to ride in them – like I said, it’s always going to be a compromise – Forma works for me

If there was anything I’d change, I’d add a projection on the heel to make getting them off easier. My old boots have this, but then they’re tight, so they need it. With the Forma boots this is not so critical, but it would be a nice touch ……

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wear these boots. They are rigid in the right places, but when I have walkin' around to do, I unlatch the upper buckle and the velcro. The company that makes them is Forma. 20190628_080235_1561737809853.jpg

·
Registered
264 Posts
I ended up getting the Rev'it Discovery Outdry boots because they're a great in-between for tech, protection, and comfort. They provide significantly more protection than many of the more conform/hiking oriented boots like the Gaerne Oiled or Allterain or similar boots for some protection but are great for walking/hiking. The Rev'it Discovery Outdry are very comfortable for walking even with the ankle, tow and heel protection. They're also 100% waterproof. A little pricey, but for boots you're going to have for likely up to 10yrs, that's a good investment. They have a really cool system to tighten and remove the boots as well. It's called the BOA Closure system. Super convenient and easy. So much better than buckles IMO. So far I really dig them. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I have been wearing Sidi Aventure2 Gortex boots and love them. Expensive, I know, but they have saved me from some pretty "expensive" foot injuries. Very comfortable too.
I've been wearing the same without the GorTex for 9 years, now on the second pair. They sure have saved my poor feet and ankles many times, probably to the tune of $10,000 dollars in foot injuries! :eek: They need breaking in, but in the old pair I can walk a mile or so. They are no longer available (natch) but the discovery rain is very similar. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-discovery-rain-boots-2014

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Is CE certified important?
"CE marking is a certification mark that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA). The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that are manufactured in, or designed to be sold in, the EEA."

Depends on your outlook ....

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
irregular-choice-daisy-dreams-unicorn-heeled-boots.jpg

I wouldn't recommend the unicorn boots for riding, the horn could poke you in the leg during a fall.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another vote for the Forma Adventures.

I have super wide feet, most boots I couldn't even get on. With these I sent up a size, and they are great for riding, good for walking. I couldn't come close to closing the the top buckle on the long version of the Formas, but the short were good.

20190629_084839.png

1 - 20 of 24 Posts