TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a big dude who like to ride, boots don’t always favor my gloriously wide foot... I mean, I understand everyone isn’t tromping around with Paul Bunyan legs but finding wide adventure boots is a little tough.

I really like my forma adventure boots, and when I initially tried them on it felt like a good fit, now that they are wearing in more, on the sole and ankle, I can definitely feel more pressure from the narrow foot space... I’d hate to give up the boots, but anyone tried a boot stretcher? Does it work? Do you risk the integrity of the boot?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Put a water ballon in your boot and throw it in the freezer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A tea kettle of boiling water... pour some over booted feet in tight area, get down and squat on balls of feet, picking up heels, then walk a bit, repeat a few times... always helped me get that perfect fit. Don't cook your feet. DAMHIK Heat and water softens it a bit, seems to hold the stretch. There is a turnbuckle style stretcher, and I've used them with little success. Very difficult to get in the right spot in a boot and tighten. I also have a crank to widen wooden foot form with different add ons (kind of like a Mr Potato Head) that worked wonders on shoes, but is useless in boots.
Did you try one size up in the Forma's? When in the larger sizes (46 euro and upwards) they only get a few mm's longer, but they also get wider with each increase. One pair is 47, barely longer than the 46's which were tight, but significantly wider. The remainder are all 46 and fit well.
While I like the frozen balloon idea, I know firsthand what ice can do to pipes and other seemingly solid things... I'd fear ruining the boot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
What’s worked for me in the past is to soak the boot in very warm water until the leather is thoroughly saturated. This is the important part. Then you put on as many socks on your feet as humanly possible to stretch out the boot and insulate your foot from the upcoming heat. Then heat the offending areas of the boot with a heat gun or hair dryer while doing all the squatting and other boot flexing exercises that Kayak mentioned. Take care not to damage the leather, rubber or other glues and such by getting them too hot. Time, not intensity, is your friend. Then wear them till they dry as LittleTommy mentioned. Replacing your socks with dry ones from time to time helps speed the drying process.
The last step is to re-treat the boots with a good leather product to keep the leather hydrated and flexible and to also keep it from shrinking or cracking.

·
Registered
349 Posts
As a young man in Boy Scouts we were instructed to wear new hiking boots with double socks, soak in a creek, and wear until dry. Never did it with my Forma Adventure's, though. It turns out their size 8 fit my size 8 deer hoof like a glove!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A tea kettle of boiling water... pour some over booted feet in tight area, get down and squat on balls of feet, picking up heels, then walk a bit, repeat a few times... always helped me get that perfect fit. Don't cook your feet. DAMHIK Heat and water softens it a bit, seems to hold the stretch. There is a turnbuckle style stretcher, and I've used them with little success. Very difficult to get in the right spot in a boot and tighten. I also have a crank to widen wooden foot form with different add ons (kind of like a Mr Potato Head) that worked wonders on shoes, but is useless in boots.
Did you try one size up in the Forma's? When in the larger sizes (46 euro and upwards) they only get a few mm's longer, but they also get wider with each increase. One pair is 47, barely longer than the 46's which were tight, but significantly wider. The remainder are all 46 and fit well.
While I like the frozen balloon idea, I know firsthand what ice can do to pipes and other seemingly solid things... I'd fear ruining the boot.
I did go a size up, and I just didn’t spend enough time in them before buying them. I’ll try the hot water, you just reminded me... I remember back in basic training after my boots dried out from marching in the water and mud... they fit a lot better, maybe I’ll just take em in the shower with me next time!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As a young man in Boy Scouts we were instructed to wear new hiking boots with double socks, soak in a creek, and wear until dry. Never did it with my Forma Adventure's, though. It turns out their size 8 fit my size 8 deer hoof like a glove!
Should have read your post before responding before, yep, awesome idea, gonna soak em in the tub!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Get in a hot shower with your socks and boots on, get them good and wet, then wear until dry.
Only works if you stay neked for the entire time it takes for the boots to dry.
Found in the Boy Scout manual. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get in a hot shower with your socks and boots on, get them good and wet, then wear until dry.
Only works if you stay neked for the entire time it takes for the boots to dry.
Found ion the Boy Scout manual.
I feel like no matter how I try to explain things to my girlfriend, the conversation about being nude in wet motorcycle boots, is not going to go well... regardless of somehow explaining “but these guys from a motorcycle forum said this would work” is not gonna make things better.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I feel like no matter how I try to explain things to my girlfriend, the conversation about being nude in wet motorcycle boots, is not going to go well... regardless of somehow explaining “but these guys from a motorcycle forum said this would work” is not gonna make things better.
I think you're doing this all wrong. Being nude, in wet motorcycle boots, should do nothing but end well with the girlfriend. :wink:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
HaHaHa. This is great thread.
I wasn't kidding in my first post about water balloons and freezing them. What does water do when it freezes... it e-x-p-a-n-d-s.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Also maybe used a LOT of leather conditioner on the boots before attempting the stretch.Bunch of excellent ideas from everyone for leather boots.

I can say from attempting to stretch MX style motorcycle boots (plastic), it does NOT work. Even with a heat gun. I wore thinner socks. Now that I have over a hundred hours "literally" in the boots, the interior foam is starting to feel right. Took a year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My understanding from a cobbler is that all of the old "stretch leather with water" tricks we used to use in the old days don't work with newfangled lined boots. The Goretex (or other ePTFE liner material) sock in the boot is what causes the fit. All you'll end up doing is blowing out the seams or stretching the fabric, thereby loosing the water proofing.

That's why you can still buy the heavy duty European hiking boots without Goretex linings.

Go ask a cobbler, if you can find one, to stretch it for you, and see what they say...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have the Forma Adventure boots, and find them too narrow.
A suggestion I saw in another forum was to take your boots to a ski boot fitter, and have them stretched. I haven’t found a shop that does that yet, but it sounds like a good option.
Also have heard that the Gaerne SG10 is a great boot for wide feet, but they are really $$$.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Frozen water stretched my Forma Adventure boots.
I used strategically placed water filled latex gloves with paper filler in between the areas I wanted to stretch. Seemed to work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts