TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to visit some areas that require a hike of a few miles that the TW cant go. I need a recommendation of a pair of boots that I can hike in and have moderate protection. I am a senior so I don't ride crazy anymore.

Years back my bike broke down 9 miles from help. I was damn near crippled from walking out in motorcycle boots and it took weeks for the blisters to heal- don't want to go there again.....

Thanks for replying

Rikr

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I did a lot of hiking and climbing last weekend in my Forma Adventures and did not have any problems at all. They did not even need a break in period. Deton8r also has a pair and he provides pictures on post #29 of this thread: http://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topic-other-bikes/6341-riding-boots-3.html#post72440

Another option, with slightly less protection, is the Gaerne Balance Oiled: Gaerne Balance Oiled Dual Sport Boots by Atomic Moto

The above boots are good for walking, but I have no idea how they would hold up for your 9 mile hike. I would think that is a bit extreme for any motorcycle boot that still provides some protection.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wear boots, real boots, and carry a pair of shoes.
My ankle has been surgically opened 5 times now. It's a risky proposition even with good boots.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I carry hiking boots and just change when I get to where I wanna hike. Might be a pain but your feet will thank you. I do ride sometimes with hiking boots but I've gotten pegs in the back of my legs doing that too. Plus branches and rocks on the shins.

Good sturdy M/C boots + good sturdy hiking boots is the way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
First off riding boots are not hiking boots. You need a lug style sole and riding boots are smooth. I wear Keen laceup hikers for general riding and hiking. However if I'm doing a lot of off-roading I'll toss the keens in the backpack and wear MX-boots. You can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
602 Posts
This thread got me to thinking. I do a lot of hiking on some rides. Sometimes miles of hiking and also a lot of trail work. Carrying a large heavy duty pair of boots in the backpack to change into is a lot of extra weight to carry, but I like the extra protection for my lower legs.

I have been neglecting tossing a pair of boots that have deteriorated soles. So here's what I did. May not look very PC or cool, but they work darn good. I'll be using them a lot. When I want to hike, I can just take them off and leave'em with the helmet until I get back.

I plan to pop rivet some knee guards at the top. They'll be even prettier then.

IMGA0363.JPG IMGA0364.JPG

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I know the gear guys will flop around on the floor and tell me how dangerous it is, but I ride in Hiking boots. I don't do offroad riding anymore and I like to do a little hiking. All the riding boots I have are good for riding but not much else.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Do they still provide the same ankle support?

Looks as though they might have lost some rigidity.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
602 Posts
They provide ankle protection from impacts. There is no ankle support other than that provided by the hiking boots, which in my case is substantial.

So if you are heading for a motocross track or are going to be going through trash as hard as you can, regular M/C boots might be best.

When I'm going on a ride where I plan to do some hiking or trail work, my riding is even more mellow than normal. When I wear only hiking boots my biggest complaint is from impacts to my lower legs. And cacti. The old tops seem to do a good job at that kind of protection.

Just remember, legs and ankles are broken even inside of sturdy M/C boots, as you probably know.

When I ride a full on dirt bike out with a group, I'll be wearing full M/C boots.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Those remind me of my horseback riding half chaps. Same purpose, added protection yet easy to remove when you need to. I like it, gonna steal your idea if you don't mind. Those are perfect for when I hit the trail or town and want to lose the protection/ crazy look. To the storage unit!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts