TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if there is anything out there that will give me a little more ankle protection but still allow me to hike after the ride in.

I use my TW to get to Hiking areas. Occassionaly that takes me on some pretty rocky roads. I wear a hiking boot that is a little over the ankle. What I think would be ideal is some kind of removable support that goes from the ankle up that I could wear for the ride in then remove for the hike

Does anybody have any experience with such a product?

Thanks

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
The flexibility comfortable hiking requires is not compatable with the foot and ankle protection a dirt bike boot requires. I compromise and wear a work boot with safety toes and soccer shin guards. Other people I know just carry their hiking shoes with them and change when they get off the bike.

·
Registered
572 Posts
To protect your ankles you need ce protection on both sides of the boots, hiking, work or other non moto boots will not cut it. Just get a good moto boot and carry lightweight hiking boots with you. I've seen pictures of ankles after draging on asphalt, it will make you want to throw up. Good boots will just about prevent it. Just remember what my MSF instructor said, "it's not if you will crash, only when". I like Oxtar Infinity boots, tall but super comfortable, after a ride I forget I have them on. If it's a short ride 1 or 2 days I don't even take street shoes, that's how comfortable they are.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you don't want to spring for MX boots but still want some ankle protection.Take a look at the Magnum brand of Police boots. I wear a pair for their all day comfort as I'm on my feet alot and work around heavy and hot bus parts. The soles are also a very good A/T design and have worked well for me tramping around in the dirt and rocks of North Georgia.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I bought a pair of new Sidi Discovery boots (atv)from someone on ebay that ordered the wrong size. They are great, lots of protection, good for hiking as well. If you look you can find deals on them $175 or so. Might be expensive, but I ride off road usually by myself and have no problem spending a little more on riding/safety gear. No complaints on the boots after 3 years.

Josh

·
Registered
464 Posts
I bought a pair of new Sidi Discovery boots (atv)from someone on ebay that ordered the wrong size. They are great, lots of protection, good for hiking as well. If you look you can find deals on them $175 or so. Might be expensive, but I ride off road usually by myself and have no problem spending a little more on riding/safety gear. No complaints on the boots after 3 years.

Josh

Both Sidi and Vendramini make a good dual sport boot you can walk in but they are not cheap, retail is $200 plus. I'm sure there are others as well.

Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
The flexibility comfortable hiking requires is not compatable with the foot and ankle protection a dirt bike boot requires. I compromise and wear a work boot with safety toes and soccer shin guards. Other people I know just carry their hiking shoes with them and change when they get off the bike.

Never thought about soccer shin gaurds...I have a stock pile of those. Thanks qwerty...

·
Registered
421 Posts
I really considered the Thor 50/50 boots. No one had them in stock though so I could try them on. I have big feet and sometimes shoes don't fit well. I ended up going with motocross boots. They are the alpinestars tech 3's. They aren't real comfortable to walk in, but the more they break in the better they feel. I figured I could use all the protection I can get for Moab next month as well.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I really considered the Thor 50/50 boots. No one had them in stock though so I could try them on. I have big feet and sometimes shoes don't fit well. I ended up going with motocross boots. They are the alpinestars tech 3's. They aren't real comfortable to walk in, but the more they break in the better they feel. I figured I could use all the protection I can get for Moab next month as well.
Put some mink oil on the leather. They will break in faster and the leather will be more waterproof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts