TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on an affordable but decent boots - just do woods roads.. light to intermediate stuff.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I bought a set of MSR boots from Iron Pony. So far their holding up well and often times on sale for around $100.00

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Anything that says MSR on it will be top shelf!
MSR is what used to be Malcomb Smith Racing.
He was always personally involved in design & testing of his company's products.
He may be retired now, not sure.
A genuinely nice, great guy and one of the very top all-around motorcycle racers, ever!

By the way, onthelake...welcome to the formum.

·
Registered
303 Posts
For light woods riding you don't need a full height boot, I'd get a shorty style which are generally 6"-8" or so (about the same as a typical work boot)

I really like my Icon Patrol boots (they're now the Patrol 2, similar but with the boa wire lacing system, mine have traditional buckles).

Malcom Smith Racing used to be really top shelf stuff, at some point it was bought out by Tucker Rocky, who also owned Answer. MSR was aimed at the off road/enduro and Answer was aimed at MX. I guess they decided MSR was redundant and seems to have discontinued their gear line for 2018(all that's left are a smattering of closeouts on most websites), Answer now offers an enduro line of gear in addition to the MX, so it's clearly replaced MSR. The MSR hard parts/accessories brand is still going though.

I seem to remember hearing something that Rocky Mountain ATV bought the MSR brand, so it might resurface in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the old MSR designs get rebranded under the Tusk house brand.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just wear my regular hiking boots...6"Red Wings …… I don't put any exceptional stress on boots and have had no trouble in more than 60 years of trail riding from very difficult and racing to what I do now at 79.....just poking along logging roads and easy trails.....

Back in the day....in the late 60's.... I had a opportunity to ride with Malcomb in the Mattawa 100...and competed with Jim Pomeroy in hill climbs and motocross events....all with just store bought hiking boots... no problem....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts