·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts folks?
I am going to change the oil asap just in case the guy used car oil instead
But any feedback would be appreciated
My wife likes the bike and doesn't want to see the bike go
It was 1850 dollars so it wasn't a massive amount of money but the bike is dangerous if the clutch doesn't hook up well

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is an adjustment on the clutch cable at the lever and there is also one at the engine. The adjustments will determine when the clutch engages. If it is at the end of the adjustment it may be slipping and may need minor tweaking to get better. If it ran with an oil not made for wet clutches it could definetly slip. You may get lucky and just get by with an oil change using proper oil. If that doesn't work just change the clutch plates, it's not too bad of a job if you read up about it here and take your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch engages way at the end
I will adjust that ASAP and report back
Thnx a million for the help folks
Will keep the thread updated

·
Registered
229 Posts
Any thoughts folks?

Yep[ Your age / Mechanical ability .? Had any other motorcycles ? Why is a slipping clutch dangerous ? Is it your wife's bike?

There is also an adjustment inside the side case that makes up, for wear / almost always needs heavier springs at about $15 if the plates are not worn to bad . These are not Motocross machines. They are TRAIL bikes and should be treated like trailbikes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good God. That clutch adjustment made the bike feel like it got 100cc more engine
:)
Goes properly now.
I hope it stays like that for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now what could be the deal with the starter. When the bike is not running (engine that is) i hit the starter and nothing happens. Kickstand up, bike in neutral, and clutch in, just in case they built any safety settings into it.
However when the bike is idling and i hit the starter button there is a faint buzzing sound from the starter (i presume)?
Any thoughts on what this could be?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's hard to diagnose electrical issues from here ,but start with the basics .Check the battery condition and charge ,check the connections ,get a test light or a meter ,look at the wiring diagram and start checking things out .You might want to try jumping the actual starter as well as it's possibly seized up or who knows from not being used much .

·
Registered
229 Posts
Now what could be the deal with the starter. When the bike is not running (engine that is) i hit the starter and nothing happens. Kickstand up, bike in neutral, and clutch in, just in case they built any safety settings into it.
However when the bike is idling and i hit the starter button there is a faint buzzing sound from the starter (i presume)?
Any thoughts on what this could be?
Does the headlight come on strong when the key is on and the bike is not running? If it is on and you hit the starter does it go out? light not bright , goes out when starter button pushed = battery or bat connection.

the reason there is a faint buzzing is because the bike is trying to charge the battery. just not enough voltage to turn the starter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No light at all from the headlight. Even when the bike is running and you turn the turn signal on, it looks like it's running on double a batteries
Lights are faint and weak

So battery must be a dud

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head here
If you have a SMALL battery charger try to charge it up BUT again I am guessing if you had a charger you would have done that by now . Sounding like the battery is shorted out on the inside . Probably it froze during the winter and warped the plates . A discharged battery will freeze solid you know. Battery should be available at Wal Mart I like the Glass mat batteries as they are spill proof . Again Ebay is your friend if one is not available in your home town
Lots of battery talk on this forum just put Battery or batteries in the search engine and when you read about them do not forget the " SIMILAR THREADS " at the bottom of the page Prices vary but a lot of the guys are just as happy with the cheap ones . I think you got it , Good luck
Btw do your profile/ signature so we can get an idea who we are talking to age is nice too I hate to down talk to a master mechanic or not be detailed enough for the new guys

·
Registered
229 Posts
Interesting . I have never blown a main fuse so I have nothing to compare it with .

Maybe my speed reading allowed me to miss something, but mine acts like that when the main fuse is blown....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was just the battery...works well now thnx for all the help guys. Sure we will connect again soon

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the update

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nova Scotia? If so, you need to check all of the electrical connections for corrosion on that 24 year old bike. Look carefully at the battery connections and main fuse. In areas of salt air and/or high humidity, the fuse holder and fuse itself can "rot". Get a new fuse, no matter what it looks like.

Also, how old is that battery? Motorcycle batteries are good for only a couple years -- if that.

Oops, too late. My browser didn't update. Oh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts