TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so glad this forum is here. I’ve been reading and reading. Thank you for all your shared knowledge.

I bought a TW200 to hopefully take along when traveling. I have a Ram 1500 with the hemi (bed length 67.2”) pulling a 1999 25’ Airstream.
Any suggestions for best way to bring the TW along? Is there a way to mount a hauler between the trucks rear bumper and the Airstream, which will be hitched with a weight distribution hitch?
Or should I just put the TW in the bed of the truck caddy corner? And if so any suggestions for keeping it there?

2nd question: any suggestions or advice for a saddlebag or soft bag setup so I can carry gear for a day ride or overnite trip?

3rd question: Any suggestions for a windscreen?

Last question: what type of helmet do you use / suggest for mixed use- light street, gravel roads and trails?

Thank you in advance,
Lee

·
Registered
46 Posts
Starting at the bottom, if you value your face & teeth a full face helmet is your only option. Windscreen? IMO not really needed as the TW will not spend too much time over 45 or 50 mph. Just use tie downs to secure the moto in the truck bed. I use a receiver mounted rack on the back of my tiny Tacoma to haul the bike. However your situation is different. There probably is a way to mount a rack between the truck & trailer, but that is beyond my expertise. The truck bed is probably your best bet. You might find a way to mount the TW on the back of the Airstream. BTW, we have a 42’ 1953 Spartan trailer which fortunately is permanently parked at our winter home in Borrego Springs, CA. Vintage trailer living at its best! Enjoy the TW, it is a great bike for hauling around.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lee,
El Chivo gave you some good pointers. As for helmets, well, everyone's got their idea of what's important and what's not. I myself have never been a fan of a "full faced" helmet. But, that's just me. I've tried a few of them and, to me, they're like putting on a deep sea divers helmet. So, I use my good ole' 3/4 street helmet. It's always worked just fine for me. This is a choice thing. Now, as for hauling the T-dub. Well, yeah, the back of the truck is the most logical place. But, getting it up there and back down, can be problematic. Some guys don't really have any issue with that kind of a situation but, again, it can be a bit on the dangerous side if, you're loading it or, unloading it wrong and it results in a hurt back or arms or something else.

Or, depending on just how the rear of the Airstream is constructed, you may be able to mount a lighter weight bike hauler on the back of it. You'll have to assess that yourself. But, if that works, then loading and unloading of the T-dub is seriously easier than in the back of the truck. IF the frame of the Airstream is stout enough to handle the 278 lbs of the T-dub and a hauler, then maybe a slight structural adapter might have to be made, to accommodate the hauler. No biggie. And, another good part about hauling the dub that way is, you don't have to separate the truck and trailer when camping, just to get the dub out of the truck. And that can be a pain, especially with a weight distributing hitch.

Now, if you do end up hauling the T-dub on the back of the Airstream, that potentially has some affect on tongue weight of that trailer. Maybe not much but, it's worth considering. Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
263 Posts
Don't try and haul it in between the truck and trailer. So either in the bed and use supplied tie downs, should be on in each corner, or consider mounting tie downs to the bed's base. Other wise, if the air stream has the ability to take an additional hitch on the rear: 1) hitch mount hauler, used one on my SUV years ago, made of aluminum, worked great OR you could potentially as a small motorcycle trailer to the back of the airstream, just don't ever expect to go in reverse with a dual jointed system like that. Like others have mentioned, a lot will depend on the capability of the airstream.

I have a 45' toy hauler as it is, while great for hauling said toys, i'ts a beast being pulled by a Ram dually 3500, which makes for challenging traveling at times.

·
Registered
345 Posts
A precautionary measure if loading in the back of the truck is to run a strap or rope from the trailer hitch to about halfway or less down the ramp so said ramp has less chance of slipping off the tailgate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have a travel trailer. I mounted a 2" bumper clamp receiver to carry a heavy generator, then a 2nd with a 2" tube under it to help support the generator. I plan on using the same set up for the bike, but if my truck did not have canopy on it, I would haul it in the truck. Caddy corner works well as it's a natural tire chock. Just strap well. A sheet of plywood or bedliner helps the sliding around.

I use 3 different helmets as my riding temperatures vary from 25 degrees to 115. Half helmet, 3/4 helmet, then Schuberth/BMW full face.

I use leather saddlebags. The kind that the right and the left are connected and straddle the rear portion of the seat. I was concerned about melting on the exhaust side. I reasoned that with leather, I would smell if getting hot before it actually did any damage. I found a used, heavy duty set on ebay for $60/shipped, and backed the upper half of the right side with heat tape. I had to put grommets on the bottom edge to attach to the rear peg area. They ride great, are tough as hell and don't get hot on the exhaust side. Yes, a TW with leather bags!

I have the stock rear rack. I mounted an older 12"x 18" pelican case on the rack, but didn't like it. I've gone to a nylon, expandable backpack the has molle attachments to it. It's about 12" wide by 20" long and has a zipper on the side; it sits crosswise, of course. It can expand to about 8" thick if needed. The pack has the straps in an enclosed back and I can detach it for hiking/hunting. It I need to carry more, I have a 12"x 20" cylindrical drybag that I can strap on top of that.

Sorry, no pics:(

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
I don't think anyone's TW200 weighs in at 278 lbs after it leaves the showroom floor. Some gas, some tools or beverages , a few accessories or a rack and everyone's bike is likely over 300lbs. Make decisions based on realistic estimate of the weight involved, including rack and restraint system.

So consider why are you traveling with a TW. Just to look at it or to actually ride it? To ride it it must be accessible. Trapped in the pick-up bed with an Airstream hooked up behind sounds like a lot of work to get out for a fun impromptu ride on your journeys. Have you considered a receiver hitch mount for the front of the Ram? Supplemental head lighting can be added if Ram's headlights are obscured. Weight forward helps with Ram's dynamic balance compared to additional tongue weight or stressing the Airstream's frame with a rear cantilevered loading. Just another option some prefer for valid reasons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts