TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$5,200 OUT THE DOOR! OTD at MSRP (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it)! That's how it's done lol!

Why I bought this bike/some things I like about it:

*$5,200 OTD. I could have bought something used, but I'm tired of people's used shit that they are trying to pawn off...
*Fuel injection (happy to own my first EFI motorcycle!)
*32 inch seat height (not a huge deal for me, but I kind of like the low seat; this will make SOME situations easier/better), but still 11 inches of ground clearance
*291 pounds ready to ride (30 pounds lighter than the CRF250L)
*I estimate it will get around 65 mpg average in the real world (have yet to test this of course)
*No commonly reported problems associated with this model. Cam chain tensioners are not known to commonly fail on them...are you listening, Honda!? Kawasaki!?
*SUPER easy to maintain: valve adjustments (very fast and easy with the screw type adjusters on the 2 valve head), oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, chains, tires, and brakes. That's pretty much literally it. Easy as pie.
*Trials-like steering gemoetry
*Disc brakes front and rear
*Digital instrumentation with fuel light and check engine light
*87 octane fuel
*This information seems almost impossible to find, but from what I've ascertained from various sources, I believe the motor makes about 23 or 24 horsepower at the crank, and about 16 foot pounds at the crank. This means that it will have enough power to pull second gear up big, steep hills off road at 35 mph, which is a sort of performance benchmark that is very important to me. If not with stock gearing, then certainly after going 1 tooth down to a 14 tooth front sprocket, which I will probably do. After doing that, I can still cruise comfortably at 60 mph actual speed all day, which is fast enough for me, if it means better off road performance.

Did I mention $5,200 OTD? ;D

When time permits, I'll follow up this teaser with a more complete review with my impressions of the riding experience, actual fuel economy, mods done to the bike, etc. That of course will be after the engine is fully broken in, and after I've ripped up a few hardcore local enduro trails!

2015 Yamaha XT250 1.jpg

·
Registered
807 Posts
So why not the WR? Price? Cause you did mention $5200 OTD more than once :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
So why not the WR? Price? Cause you did mention $5200 OTD more than once :)
Could just as easily be the seat height. The more you venture onto the rougher trails the more being able to get your feet down matters. I have a coworker that was willing to sell me his WR for a freaking song but I had to climb onto it via the foot pegs. That bike would likely spend a lot of time on its side if I were piloting it

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah just looked, 4+ inches is quite a bit of difference.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Yeah just looked, 4+ inches is quite a bit of difference.
I could always ride it like I used to set roof trusses. Framing upper levels just try to fall to the inside of the structure. If you have to get off the WR just jump off on the uphill side

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
807 Posts
I will say though I sat on a WR at the dealer several weeks ago. When I went to throw a leg over it I was like.........................yeah..............this aint gonna work :) But it wasnt THAT difficult. But once I put my weight on it and sat down it settled quite a bit to where both balls of my feet were touching the ground with my chucks on, Im 5'8" :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks people :)

Yea, essentially I bought this over the WRR due to the amazing price. Even affording this one was quite a stretch for me to be honest. That being said, there are definitely pros and cons to each. Quite a bit less power from the XT, but valve adjustments are much easier (but more frequent), no water cooling (but that also means no coolant/radiator maintenance, and no radiator to get broken), suspension isn't even in the same ballpark on the XT, but that also means lower seat height, etc. etc. As for that seat height, it isn't a big deal for me. Sometimes I will like the seat height, other times I will wish I had more suspension. There is always a trade off or compromise. I like both bikes; ~$2,500+ makes a big difference! I'm sure I'll also be plenty happy with this XT!

That last one was at the dealer 100 miles from my house. Here it is unloaded in my driveway:

2015 Yamaha XT250 2.jpg

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Great Purchase....was my original choice, but decided on the TW because of this forum....no regrets, but even at 66 there are a couple of other Bikes that I have an eye on...this one and one street ride, depends on time, money, and beers drank, before I pull the trigger:blob1:

·
Registered
145 Posts
KJ man, congrats!!!! I haven't been on this forum in a while. Happy to see you're on a new and reliable bike. Post some more pics and a review!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Finally found this thread. Great job, kj!! I agree with your reasons for getting.

I recommend putting gold valves and springs in your forks. Makes a huge difference. I put them in my TW and it's a night and day difference. Go stiff on the springs too. Then you can decide what to do with the rear spring.

I wanna pick up an XT225 at some point... a bit taller than the TW and will fit me better. The TW will stick around though.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh my god I can't believe it's been six weeks since I bought this bike and I still haven't been able to finish the mods and do a proper review :( I hate it how all my plans seem to go to hell. Part of my problem is that I have some pretty horrendous self-discipline issues (I put off studying and such), but also I'm just plain overloaded. Human beings aren't meant to live at a non-stop pace like this haha. One thing I can say for sure is that I WILL do that in-depth review here, eventually... I'm past even bothering to provide any more estimates as to specifically when. If I had it my way it would have all been done 3 weeks ago, but, of course, I don't have it my way...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Cattech, and I presume that you did purchase a TW then? Congrats to you as well, if so :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts