TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a very depressing story. After reading many reviews on the TW200 and what a tank it is I bought a used 2002 in great shape. 7100 miles on the odometer, original owner, mainly used to get around the lake the owner lived on. First thing I did was get a new set of tires put on and then took it on a ride. After putting around our pasture for a bit I decided to cross a stream that was maybe 1.5 - 2 ft deep. The water was about up to the bottom of the frame/close to the foot pegs. Halfway through the engine died. I pushed it out and waited awhile before trying to start it. After an hour or so of trying to get it started I towed it back to the house, removed the plug, and flipped it upside down and turned over the motor. The next day it still wouldn't start and compression was only 60 psi. Uh oh. I took it to the dealer who was to supposedly have changed the crankcase and engine oil. After 2 weeks they informed me its going to need a new top end.

I took it back home, ordered the parts, and started to take the top end apart with some assistance from a friend. I quickly found the total engine was trashed (see pictures below). I drained the crankcase and a ton of water came out. Needless to say, I am extremely dissapointed. I heard this engine was bullet proof but a small creek that Ive been through with dozens of others bikes and ATVs no problem did it in. WTF? Unfortunately I cannot find new parts anywhere. Any ideas on bottom end replacement? I think I can refurbish the top end with new pins, pistons, rings, gaskets, and light machining. Any help would appreciated. And if I do manage to get this fixed, any idea what caused it? Im assuming water being sucked up through some sort of hose or vacuum line or something.

IMG_29061001.jpg IMG_29071001.jpg IMG_29081001.jpg

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Bummer...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow. That is a lot of rust. That didn't come from you getting the skid plate wet. That thing has had some serious water intake at some point. Possibly even a leaking carb with ethanol gas. That stuff will draw water from the desert. No matter what caused it, you have quite a job ahead. There are many places to get parts. There are several folks on here with their own stash of spare parts along with lots places ready to separate you from your money. Boats.net is one that has a good rep. Partzilla, yamahapartshouse, babbittsonline, etc. If you really want to go down the rabbit hole looking up parts just google "Yamaha tw200 parts diagram".

I would say your creek crossing likely got water in something on the electrical side. I have also read of some vent on the carb causing sudden engine shut down. You may rebuild it and still have to trouble shoot the original problem. I'm sure the folks on here will be of great help with this soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. I can only imagine your disappointment. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you disassembled it and took those pics fairly soon after it quit, I agree with Apolloha, that's a lot of rust. I'd be inclined to believe water had been in that engine a while. Kinda hard to tell from the pics. Don't see how water would have got in it with water only up to the footpegs, but on my TW 1.5 - 2 ft is higher than my pegs. You might be better off looking for a complete used engine.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
If you take a running TW, lay it on its side in 18 inches of water for a few minutes, then give it a mechanic who doesn’t do anything about it for a couple of weeks – yeah – I can see that much rust happening

The carb vent unless modified can cause a bike to stall, but only until you get it onto dry ground. There are ways around that that we’ll save for later though

Care to fill in the gaps in the story ?

Welcome to the board by the way .....

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You don't mention where you are or where the bike was before you bought it. I have a sneaking suspicion the bike was in a flood zone at some point. Do some research regarding where the bike came from. We get lots of shady car dealers up here who buy cars that were under water and clean them up to look good but they always have serious issues just from being drowned.

GaryL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to clarify, I don't believe there was water in the engine previously. The previous owner was an elderly fellow who I doubt even took it on anything other than some gravel roads and such. It really was in almost perfect condition, no major scratches, dings, or damage. Compression was good and the engine ran like a champ. Also to clarify, it was quite a bit of time between the initial incident and the teardown. Over 1 month at least. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the dealer supposedly drained all the oil, but I don't think they did. After sitting for a month or so is when I started the teardown and quite a alot of watery oil came out of the crank case. At this point I would like to try and find a complete bottom end instead of piecemealing it. I think the top end can be salvaged as I already have all the new parts and access to a machine shop.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I went back and re-read your original post. I caught this : "7100 miles on the odometer, original owner, mainly used to get around the lake the owner lived on." Case closed. That's where your water came from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I think it is too much of a coincidence that the bike ran great, good compression, etc, up until the point I took it into water and it died. I suspect it was suffered hydrolock, damaging the rings, piston, or rod (leading to the sudden drop in compression) Coupled with it sitting for some time with water in the top and bottom end I feel that is the culprit.

Regardless it doesn't really matter, as the cause has no bearing on how I fix it. Again, if anyone knows of a bottom end for sale in good shape, that would be much appreciated. I've seen a few on Ebay, but am a bit leary on purchasing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was just kidding about the lake thing. Haha. We try to help as much as possible around here but we do joke a little too.

I would check ebay for the engine. You could also look at CL. Sometimes I have seen wreaked ones fairly cheap. Good engine with bend forks and frame damage. If you dare, look for a tt225. You can swap those on the TW frame. Buy the shaft extension for the front sprocket and have a 6 speed and more power. I am simplifying that but it has been done on here a few times. It may even be cheaper in the long run.

Edit XT225

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
Hydrolock would lift the head gaskets rather than pushing past the rings – but no matter – let’s just deal with the matter in hand. The only reason I questioned what had happened, is that it can narrow down the solution

1: Anything bought from any source with regards to engines is an unknown quantity – it’s pretty much a crap shoot as to what you get
2: I have never seen a TW crankshaft sold on its own. Back in the day, you could get a re-conditioned crankshaft for most multi-cylindered engines, but I’ve never laid sight on one from a TW. This is just my personal experience, and if someone else wants to chime in, I’m happy to be contradicted
3: This implies that by purchasing a TW “bottom end”, you will also be duplicating the cost of the cases

I’m tempted to suggest trying to flush it through and hope for the best, but there are a lot of bearings in there, not just the crank. That leaves you with just one choice. A complete replacement engine, because like it or lump it, that’s what you’re now facing

The TW is a hardy beast, but it doesn’t like water sitting for any length of time in the crankcase – no engine does

Good luck with your search ……

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ok,
I must have missed something in all this discussion. You're saying the engine is destroyed? And that includes the bottom end? What, may I ask, is wrong with the bottom end? Crank bent, rod bent, won't turn, gears noisy, won't shift, just wondering what's totaled on it. If a new piston, rings, possibly rod, pin, gaskets are the fix, how's the head and combustion chamber look? Valves? Sure seems kind-a odd that, it could be running like a top, then in only 18" of water, that engine is destroyed but, I'm not an aficionado on these.
Scott

·
Registered
20,167 Posts
Regardless of whatever the cause was the plan to move forwards sounds like a complete rebuild.
Another option might as TW-Brian suggests a partial or total engine replacement. Several of us have replaced our stock TW200 engines with modified XT or TTR225 engines thus have mostly complete stock TW engines sitting around. One may be purchasable.
A third option is an essentially complete built-up motor like the one forum member CJ7Pilot may still have for sale.

However never being one to miss a chance to muddy the waters may I ask if the dealer's newly installed oil filter had 2 or 4 holes at one end? The inappropriate 2-hole filters are proven causes of top end oil starvation for many years yet somehow some still occasionally surface in the parts supply stream. If you had a 2-hole filter installed then the top end failure is both understandable & predictable.

Sorry for your predicament.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ok,
I must have missed something in all this discussion. ...
Scott
Yeah, you missed something. Did you look at the photos? If the crank looks like that what would the gearbox look like? I assume all that damage was already there or occurred in the two weeks at the dealer......which would be nearly impossible to achieve. When you stall the bike in 15-18 inches of water it is because of the carb air vent being closed off. You would have to drive the bike into 5 feet of water at full speed and hold the throttle open. That is the only way you could get that much water into the bottom end.

·
Super Moderator
17,937 Posts
CJ7Pilot's engine is sold I believe.
Regardless of whatever the cause was the plan to move forwards sounds like a complete rebuild.
Another option might as TW-Brian suggests a partial or total engine replacement. Several of us have replaced our stock TW200 engines with modified XT or TTR225 engines thus have mostly complete stock TW engines sitting around. One may be purchasable.
A third option is an essentially complete built-up motor like the one forum member CJ7Pilot may still have for sale.

However never being one to miss a chance to muddy the waters may I ask if the dealer's newly installed oil filter had 2 or 4 holes at one end? The inappropriate 2-hole filters are proven causes of top end oil starvation for many years yet somehow some still occasionally surface in the parts supply stream. If you had a 2-hole filter installed then the top end failure is both understandable & predictable.

Sorry for your predicament.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Once again why you NEVER take anything to a dealer. He just set it out back in line with the rest of the stuff ahead of you. A MONTH later your wondering why you have rust in the crank case.:confused:

YOU could have easily drained the engine and changed oil a couple times and saved yourself a big head ache. Looks like time for a engine swap. However if you can't pull a drain plug or check a dipstick the cost may be to high to hire it done. IMHO.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Typically these bikes will go all the way over your ankles in water without an issue and almost to your knees. If your foot pegs were barely in the water it wasn't deep enough to get water in the engine through the intake or exhaust and the engine would barely even be touching the water. They will die easy in a water crossing if you don't lay on the gas due to extra resistance from the water pressure. As to the damage in your engine, I think that was done long ago. I have over 46,000 miles on mine now. I have ridden through water over my ankles on multiple occasions and at 42,000 miles my engine was spotless compared to that. Sorry to hear about the bad news. There is no telling what that engine has been through so it may be best to replace it to get you up and going and then tinker and rebuild at a later date.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts