TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Typically these bikes will go all the way over your ankles in water without an issue and almost to your knees. If your foot pegs were barely in the water it wasn't deep enough to get water in the engine through the intake or exhaust and the engine would barely even be touching the water. They will die easy in a water crossing if you don't lay on the gas due to extra resistance from the water pressure. As to the damage in your engine, I think that was done long ago. I have over 46,000 miles on mine now. I have ridden through water over my ankles on multiple occasions and at 42,000 miles my engine was spotless compared to that. Sorry to hear about the bad news. There is no telling what that engine has been through so it may be best to replace it to get you up and going and then tinker and rebuild at a later date.

·
Super Moderator
17,989 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have an 04 engine that I got in trade that supposedly ran when it was parted out. I haven’t even spun it yet as it’s a winter project I’ve been hoarding. I’ve been saving it for the time when I had a day like you had. It’s yours if you want it, but it’ll be more expensive than the 89 buck eBay bottom end.

SORRY FELLAS THIS IS NOT FOR SALE. Just trying to help this guy out.

I swamped an Acura TL in a Florida hurricane so I feel your pain.

If it was me, I’d try Purple’s advice and try to flush it first.

Get your location out here. Maybe others can help.

If you need mine, send me a PM.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
You are seriously over thinking this. I bet the rings are stuck in the grooves right? Put a light hone pattern on the cylinder and new rings on that piston and put it back together. Trust me it will run just fine. Change the oil and filter after an hour. You definitely don't need another engine.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You are seriously over thinking this. I bet the rings are stuck in the grooves right? Put a light hone pattern on the cylinder and new rings on that piston and put it back together. Trust me it will run just fine. Change the oil and filter after an hour. You definitely don't need another engine.
Hahahaha! Just put some rings on it. Good one!

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you had the know how, should have drained crankcase direct after immersion. Don’t let it set. If need a dealer to change oil, should NOT be attempting a rebuild. Much more to it than an internet session will tutor to success. Get complete running motor and assembly, you should be able to swap success fully or pay a technician. Cranks don’t get changed, roller bearing crank. One rebuilds them. Bearings rust no good.
Have fun stay stock.
tonto

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I agree, along with lightly sanding the piston, flushing the bottom end real good (bike upside down) and riding the snot out of it with about 3oz of good 2 cycle oil to one full tank of Rec Fuel! If it idles at normal RPM after that, it should last awhile. If not have fun till she blows !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to agree with the guys that are telling you this isn't a big problem. The issue with dirt in an engine only comes when you have white metal or 'plain metal' bearings, such as those found in car engines. Any dirt in these and they are destroyed. The TW motor has all roller bearings. All you need to do is clean up visible rust, rebuild top end (I'd shove a new piston and rings in there just because you have it apart) and it will be fine. I've rebuild many 2 stroke engines that look worse than the pictures and they are completely fine. If you ever get water problems with an engine, a bit of advice... don't leave it standing a minute more than you need to. Get it cleaned out and either running, or dry as soon as possible. Go to the auto store and buy cheap generic WD40 equivalent in a gallon pack and fill the engine full. It will stop corrosion until you can work on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've heard that the safety switch on the kickstand can short in water, killing the engine. If this is true, could that be why it died? Still doesn't explain the watery oil/rust in the bottom end.

·
Registered
500 Posts
For those of you recommending rings, sand the piston, and just change the oil etc.....That may be fine for just riding around the house. That way when the bearings disintegrate or the bushings in the transmission freeze up you won't have that far to walk. If you are taking that bike on long rides in the dirt, be sure to let someone know where you are going in-case your cell phone does not work. For goodness sake don't get on the highway with it. There are many things that can go wrong at any time but don't risk you life if you know you can do the job right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey OP, I have a 100% stock (save for hand guards) 1988 TW200. I ride it just below the seat in water and it's just fine. It's even fallen over in a lake. Cut the engine, dragged it out, it ran fine a few minutes (and still a year) later so far. You definitely didn't do anything wrong, something else was wrong or there is missing info somewhere. I know this really sucks, but if you do decide to fix it up, you will have a rock solid bike. Find the problem, really dig into it if you've gotta, fix it and you will have something that lasts forever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OP: good luck. I don't know what to do about the rust. I'll leave that to the experts here. If it were me I'd try to salvage what I've got before replacing the engine but I'd be doing all the work myself so it wouldn't come at much cost.

I'll give a little story instead of advice: In about 2008 a friend was riding my TW (I was on a KLR) across a river. They dumped it. The river was moving pretty fast. Only the left hand-guard/grip was sticking out of the water. Luckily we got the engine off as it was falling over. Long story short. After about 90 minutes of screwing with it beside the trail we got it running but then it stopped again (water in crankcase). We came back the next day 2-up with oil and pans and drained and filled it. Rode it home fine. Drain and filled two more times over the next week. That friend is still commuting on that TW to work 10 years later. It wasn't fazed by that incident at all. I won't say I've ever looked inside the engine, though!

·
Super Moderator
5,159 Posts
Like I said – these TW’s are tough old birds – and will go deeper than you’d think possible

Re-visiting the OP’s pics, that bike got drowned a left a lot longer than just a few weeks – it’s rusted to hell internally

As I said earlier, you could try flushing it, but in my opinion it would likely fail a lot earlier than you’d think, and probably at the most inopportune moment – there’s just too many bearings in there and 8000rpm would soon trash them

(And for the record, I am not a mechanic with 50 years experience, I’m just going by the pictures and common sense)

Looks to me you got stuck by the dealer (and not for the first time) …..

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can probably save those roller bearing or at least tell if they are still good. Looks like he is gone though so a mute point.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts