TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a left over 2014 today and want to add a few parts. What do you recommend for wide pegs that bolt on. How about lever guards like Moose bark busters or Acerbis? The bike will probably be used mostly off road so I will need them. How about a tank bag or bag on the rear rack. I think I am going to get the Yamaha rack. P1010007.JPG P1010010.JPG Have a few questions too. Are the front directional lights supposed to be on all the time? They are lit up even when not blinking. The rears are not. I checked the air filter when I got home. It appears it is not oiled. Is that right? Most foam air filters are oiled. Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you go to the search bar and click "advanced search" you can do a search by title and type in the info you are looking for this site is a gold mine of TW200 information you will find what you need. Congrats on your new purchase, I have 25 miles on mine now. I just ordered pegs off ebay that are bigger and wider, only like $18 shipped. For lever guards I will be in the market soon too a friend of mine recommended Acerbis but not sure which way I'm going.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Congrats! That other yamaha makes the T-dub look like a big brother. As for a luggage rack my research has found that only the Manracks and Cyclerack don't put weight on the rear subframe. If you want the Yamaha accessory there are many new on eBay now. I think one was cheaper.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
i'm biased towards the DMO pegs, as i helped get them to market, but they are pretty bullet proof.
www.dmospecialties.com
(FWIW i don't get anything from them)

i have 5000 miles on acerbic bark busters and they have saved my levers on road and trail a 100x over.

the light should be on, so swap out your front tire and ride that baby. enjoy!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hello, I bought a left over 2014 today and want to add a few parts. What do you recommend for wide pegs that bolt on. How about lever guards like Moose bark busters or Acerbis? The bike will probably be used mostly off road so I will need them. How about a tank bag or bag on the rear rack. I think I am going to get the Yamaha rack. View attachment 15048 View attachment 15049 Have a few questions too. Are the front directional lights supposed to be on all the time? They are lit up even when not blinking. The rears are not. I checked the air filter when I got home. It appears it is not oiled. Is that right? Most foam air filters are oiled. Thanks
Yes the front lights should be on. Filter should be lightly oiled.
Everything else is personal preference. I've tried cheap wider pegs they didn't feel right for me. I have el cheapo hand guards on mine they are a copy of Acerbis, only issue is cheap hardware. I have something different to try for this year. Not needed but wanted. My bike, bought used had a Yamaha rack. I added a ryobi tool bag for a grocery getter. No tools needed to remove bag.
Chain and tire are often replaced. Chain with an O-Ring and a Kenda or Shinko front tire. If you swap chain before you add a lot of miles you won't have to remove case side cover to change sprockets. And sprockets with an oring chain should last longer. Other wise always change sprockets and chain at the same time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've got about 25 miles on my 2015. There are a lot of TW200 items on Yamaha TW200 Parts and Performance - ProCycle, just fyi. I've been looking at racks, think the Manrack BBQ rack might fit my needs, as I want to mount a Small Motofizz bag that I use on my 1150GS. It would be nice to just swap the bag back and forth. Also looking at a handlebar bag, the one from kathysjourneydesigns.com. And those small footpegs gotta grow. I have a set of Hyperlites that I'd like to install but need to check with my dealer since its new and I don't want to void the warranty or something. Here's a pic of my new toy, in the sexy dark grey and white. :hello:
2015 TW200.jpg

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have the $90 Acerbis handguards, and my buddy just bought the cheap ones that look the same on ebay for $29.00ish, and except for the name stamp on inside, and outside sticker, I swear, they are the same. No different at all. I'd get the cheap Acerbis look alikes. Very strong, with the barend wedge mount bolts being the better ones out there.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Tusk D-Flex are rugged and well priced hand guards. Congrats on the new bike!
Before I got my bike, I had a list of stuff I wanted to get. The Tusk D-Flex with built in LED Turn Signals, were on that list. I didn't get them because my bike came with Acerbis guards. But those guards with the turn signals are exactly like the D-Flex ones. I like that they on the bottom, and set in out of harms way. Plus, it puts the front signals out wider, so much easier to see by others on the road.....;) Sometimes the front signals are hard to see being next to the headlight.

Here are the Tusk ones. Search for different colors.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271812851124

Here are different Zeta brand. Search for different colors.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=351344786602

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered the cheapest steel pegs on ebay and the generic Acerbis lookalike handguards on ebay too. Probably going to go with the Yamaha rack. RMATV has them for $95.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
One other thing- if you ever want to get the screw &spark arrestor out. Get some anti seize, remove screw and spark arrestor. Apply anti seize to the screw and around the end of the spark arrestor.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cycleracks rack... you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Cycleracks is a great addition but I think it is over kill for what I need. I don't see carrying any more than a small cooler bag. I am putting on a tool tube also. Should be enough storage. Probably will never take off the spark arrestor. The two states I ride in, NH and MA require a spark arrestor when off road. The TTR225 I had did not have one in the muffler when I bought it. I wound up making one with a piece of pipe I had and a urinal screen from Rocky's lol. Found that idea on youtube when looking for home made spark arrestors.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
No I didn't mean to ride with it off. But the packing for the spark arrestor can become soaked with oil or gas ( engine/fuel- issues) or just to check it. IMO never run/ride without a muffler and spark arrestor.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
Hello, I bought a left over 2014 today and want to add a few parts. What do you recommend for wide pegs that bolt on. How about lever guards like Moose bark busters or Acerbis? The bike will probably be used mostly off road so I will need them. How about a tank bag or bag on the rear rack. I think I am going to get the Yamaha rack. View attachment 15048 View attachment 15049 Have a few questions too. Are the front directional lights supposed to be on all the time? They are lit up even when not blinking. The rears are not. I checked the air filter when I got home. It appears it is not oiled. Is that right? Most foam air filters are oiled. Thanks

Easy New front tire (several to chose from) I like the Shinko Goldenboy 5:10 for $60. Hand guards (with aluminium bar) several to chose from as well. If your not going to use your bike to go camping then you probably don't need the cyclerack. But it sure is nice when you need it. :) Larger foot pegs are nice. And I love my Seatconcepts seat. I use 14/52 sprockets and also ride mostly offroad. There you go have at it. Most of all enjoy the ride. :)

Yes on the lights that's how they work. I oil my filter.

Tracy

·
Registered
667 Posts
I put 43 miles so far on my new cheap generic wider pegs I got off ebay for $18 shipped and they seem great.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So what are u thinking so far? I finally got mine out for a short loop. So freaking cold still.

My thoughts: carb is too lean, clutch cable needs adjusting, over 55 mph will be a challenge. But it's so much fun to ride. I just wish the tank was a little wider, to grab with my knees.

I've added my GPS, ordered bar risers and protectors and a rear rack. Next up are pegs and Jimbo screen.

I know a new front tire and o-ring chain will be in the future.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
I recently replaced older battle scared well worn Acerbis hand guards with shiny new e-bay clones to look sharp for Moab. Well, I could not get them tight enough to resist rotating in my only tip-over resulting in a broken clutch lever. Whatever mistake I made I urge you not to repeat , do whatever necessary to get them tight enough on handlebars to do their job which is protecting the levers and perches. Fortunately I had enough stub of a lever to use while riding out of a challenging area. A broken lever can quickly end a days ride.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
To expand on what Padilen said the spark arrestor does need to be cleaned from time to time. A little never seize now would save you a lot of pain in the future. one of my 2006's that i bought used was burning a little oil and the spark arrestor was so clogged on that it was extremely difficult to get out once i got the screw removed(which was a pain)

I have the Bark Busters "Jet" model guards that i got at Twisted Throttle in RI on both of my TW's. They fit quite well.

I also agree with the other guys on the cyclerack. Seems overkill till you need it. Its one of the best most useful accessories i have ever bought for a motorcycle. I went grocery shopping with mine just yesterday with my top bag and giant wolfman saddlebags full. Probably had 50# of stuff in all told, never could have been done with a lighter rack.

I did the footpags too but went with the IMS ones off amazon. They are great. And a new front tire is a must, the deathwing is just that bad.

Where in MA are you at?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts