TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 TW200, white (yuck).
Rode it home yesterday, ~150 miles, 3 hours.
if did have < 10000 miles, riding home it turned over 10,000 miles.

That thing is going to take some getting use to.

Gearing/Tire size stock.
Read where 1st was low/slow, didn't think it was going to be that much slow.
Not even at dog trot and it was wanting to already be in 2nd.

Tires one don't have that much wear, looks anyway.
But still the front seems to a ridge line when turn left/right.
Had 20 lbs in front, took it up to 30 lbs and a little better on turning.
No much of that break over of the ridge line.

Just bike noise, could not ever figure where it was coming from.
Almost like a whistle from my helmet, but my helmet does not whistle.

Any common loud wind noise the TW is known for ?

Oh, the bike is white, don't like that, will change to black.

Just in case, going to buy another engine for my DR, you know just in case the TW breaks, or something.
Not handle as much weight, that's for sure.

Fuel, something has to be done about that limited fuel storage on the TW.
I thought i saw a picture of a TW that looked like it had bigger fuel tank on it that the 2.x after market one.
It does have that larger tank on it, plus the rack/mount for a rotopax.

A guess as to MPG on ride home was 70 mpg.
i'll fill it up today for a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome to our little family! There is lot's of good info here however I am myself new to this bike so I can not really answer any of your specific questions, sorry. One thing I do know is the standard stock front tire is quite good on black top but really quite bad on everything else, so I have just ordered a brand new Shinko 241 from tire to put onto my '06 because it is certainly going to see a lot of off-road use. If you are an experienced rider especially for off-road you will recognize how poor the stock front tire is on your first ride off pavement. Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
That “ridge” you can feel on the tire is more than likely the steering head bearings

If you pull back the TW onto the side stand and rear wheel to lift the front, and rotate the steering around, you should be able to find it

If it is “notched – “All Balls” do a tapered roller set that most of us use ……

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have an 01. It has a white Clarke tank that adds a lot of range. I’ve only ever had normal wind noise, never anything resembling a whistle. I have a quick install windshield that I really like when riding around town. Cheers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That “ridge” you can feel on the tire is more than likely the steering head bearings

If you pull back the TW onto the side stand and rear wheel to lift the front, and rotate the steering around, you should be able to find it

If it is “notched – “All Balls” do a tapered roller set that most of us use ……
My Dr had that problem (fixed), sorta feels like it, but when moving to left/right/left i didn't notice any catching.
But then it also feels like when the front tire wear down to flat surface from hwy, there would be ridge on the caused the same thing.
Changing the front tire on it would fix that problem, when not steering head bearings.
Let me go out right now and check that again....
Yep, that is what it is. D*****. Oh well.
The catch point is right when tire is pointed straight ahead.
Now to find someone I trust to fix it.
I don't have room nor the tools to that.

As far that noise, if has an added oil cooler with fins... Slight chance of that being it.
Kept trying to figure out what the noise coming from.
What worries me is that is something mechanical going out.

Reactions: Ken

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. I have an 01. It has a white Clarke tank that adds a lot of range. I’ve only ever had normal wind noise, never anything resembling a whistle. I have a quick install windshield that I really like when riding around town. Cheers
A lot of trails I ride, your cutting it close with one 2 gals of fuel.
NMBDR is one of them (at least one section).
Then in Nevada, not the BDR, but another route.

Since it came with the rotopax mount, just have to find a place to put that does not get it the way of the camping items, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome . That was a pretty far ride for the first one.
Long rides or longer don't bother me.
Well wait a minute, humm. It's going to take some getting use to on the bike.
Riding my DR to N.C and separate rides to N.V way do tend to get a sore as*.
Surprised about the TW, I guess mostly because PO had installed a way more decent seat.

I'll be headed up to Utah and Nevada, if not in April, then sure in 1st week of May.
Want to ride the NMBDR again and then further west. Maybe a month or two out riding.

Just looking for something worth riding any of the BDRs or TAT even.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nic, this should help with the old photobucket pictures. Just download the link at the bottom.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/tw200-pictures-videos/50209-photobucket-photo-fix-chrome-firefox-browser-users.html
Thank you,.
That fixed it for me.

The poster in above reference thread stated the petcock being sorta hidden because of the it shifting due to tank.
I never saw an image that showed that.

Ordered some parts from procycle to get stem bearings replaced. They are AllBalls he stated.
Oh yea, order the maintenance manual also.

Forgot about ordering those side racks they have there for the wolfman soft luggage.
Really wanted to ask first about the weight load those side racks can carry.
The Wolfman soft bags i have are manuf rated at 15 lbs each.

One other thing the procycle person stated was most of the installs of the XT225 fail.
He didnt give a reason.
If i can get that larger tank on there, i'll be very happy about the setup on the bike.

edit :
I just thought of something, it could be the wheel bearings making that noise.
Didn't dawn om me till just now.
If it had, I would have felt around those rear bearing to see if running hot.
Now that i think about, that is what sounded like.
Drum brakes, sheesh.
I'll have to have a look after the storms clear out of here.

On the NMBDR, i think we had one shallow water crossing.
Before the BDR he had ridden it down Padre Island to Mansfield Channel, but I dont remember him saying that he had ridden in the surf.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MPG was 61 mpg. Not taking into account any errors in the speedo.
On my DR it off by 4 MPH, reading higher than actual.

Seller said he had stock gearing, but i don't think so.
He thought he had a 14 tooth counter sprocket. I thought stock was 15 tooth.

I'll look it up, just a comment here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stock is 14/50 - on some earlier ones it was 14/49 .....
Thanks, i had just found that same info and came back update.

What about errors in speedo?
I took the AMP mount off to rewire so cant run with it right now to check it.

That first gear is just too low it seems at the is time.
It might not be considering where i am going to ride with.

I know it will do 9k feet altitude, but what about 14k feet with the gearing it has now. stock.
Let me see on his post here if states what he ran with on the NMBDR.

He was running 15-50 sprockets.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
Can’t help with altitude testing – sea level here – others will soon chime in

Speedo error circa 1987 (when these things were designed) was around +8%

Up to 2% of that can be down to tire wear, but at +8% this still means that you won’t be going “faster” than indicated, and that’s all they (Yamaha) were worried about.

There have been numerous threads about gearing, but the one thing they have in common is that if you go for any less than a 47 rear, you’ll lose too much torque to get you to top speed in 5th. If you go for a 15 front, the gearing amounts to pretty much the same as a 47 rear, but then you lose the clearance between the front sprocket and the crank case. The wear on the front sprocket may be less, but you can expect around 20k with an O ring on 14, so not much to be gained there

There have been individual cases of people just wanting speed, in which case, the 203/204 combination at 30 plus PSI on a level road is good, but then you run into frame dynamic restrictions (short wheel base) – so they go for extended swinging arms, different (lower) tooth set ups – at which point you are chasing the end of a rainbow that cannot be caught, and defeating what this bike is most capable of

At the other end of the scale, some go for “dual rear (bigger) sprockets”, increasing the lower gear potential until the bike can quite literally climb trees

It all depends what roads (or trails) you will be on, what works for you, and what your ambitions are. But despite the first gear being “short” as standard on the TW, the consensus of opinion is that Yamaha has got it about right with 14/50. “Dual purpose” is the order of the day with these bikes, and I’ve done things with mine that I couldn’t do with higher gearing

Try it out first, and see how you get on – then you’ll know what to improve, and what to leave alone

As long as the bike revs freely up to (an indicated) 65mph, you’re onto a winner – anything else is either a bonus, or fairy dust ……

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
...What about errors in speedo?
.....I know it will do 9k feet altitude, but what about 14k feet with the gearing it has now. stock........
Speedo error is 8% over at 60 with stock front tire. Indicated 60 is 56 actual.
Stock gearing and jetting will get you to 9,000, but not up long hills...you will be in 4th at 45 mph.
At 14,000 you will be in first and still not able to get up steeper hills. The bike will still start and run, but quite poorly.
I suggest 14/60 or 13/55 and a 118 main jet at 11,000 and up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts