TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered on this hill how little suspension the TW has and how bouncy the tires get. Tried a fast run up. Bouncing started then progressed to bucking bronco stage resulting in...Dubya fall down. Woulda taken a pic of Dubya laying there all sprawled out with wheels in the air, but since the tank and carb ended up on the low side, I didn't want him dripping a buncha gas so I picked him up.

Once upright, straightened the mirror, cleared the flooded carb, restarted, and went back down to reassess. Determined low gear at walking speed, dabbing a foot when needed was a better approach. Low and slow gits 'er done in the TW world. Summit reached!

Several more similar hills came and went (slowly) without incident. Hang a left at the big water tank, back down to the neighborhoods and civilized pavement once again. Great learning experience and no damage to Dubya or myself. Except-- perhaps due to the adrenaline rush from falling off and rolling down the hill-- I got a cramp in my left buttock. That came and went too. Weird.:confused5:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Welcome Skooter. Probably getting pretty hot down in Arizona right about now eh? Anyway, maybe in the future you'll want to look at some suspension modifications. Company called Procycle sells some stiffer springs for the rear and front forks as well as some other dampening device for the forks. Others like myself have done some shade tree modifications by inserting some homemade spacers for the forks and even the rear shock. Some even investigate front fork weight oil changes along with fork oil amounts. I've even moved the circlip rear shock retainer spring up to raise & stiffen the rear shock.

Play around with google search and incert what you're looking for in place of "webcam" to do some of your own research. Several options for "some" bouncy bouncy improvements! :D

Google Search - site:TW200Forum.com (Insert words here for search)

or click or copy this google link: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS577US578&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site:tw200forum.com webcam

Take care and have fun with your TW.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Butt cramps not typical.
But can happen.

May have been more of a pucker going on that caused that one.

I don't ride gravel. Can't stand the stuff. Sorry, I'm a pretty boy.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Glad you came out ok and learned a not so expensive lesson.

Where abouts were you riding? - it looks very familiar / similar to the Dutch Flats area near Havasu.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mohave County but it's up in Kingman area. Saw a 90 degree temp forecast for next week but these past few days after the rainy spell it's been low 70's. :cool: Gonna concentrate on modifications to my own skill level before any suspension work. Maybe tweak tire pressure a bit. I'm just happy to have a machine to explore the outback, so to speak. Gotta be 100 miles of dirt to every one paved, at least here in Mohave Co.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Those pictures make the hills look like a piece of cake. I like the tire pressure suggestion and try to keep the speed up. Oh, and stand on the pegs when the going get tough.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mohave County but it's up in Kingman area. Saw a 90 degree temp forecast for next week but these past few days after the rainy spell it's been low 70's. :cool: Gonna concentrate on modifications to my own skill level before any suspension work. Maybe tweak tire pressure a bit. I'm just happy to have a machine to explore the outback, so to speak. Gotta be 100 miles of dirt to every one paved, at least here in Mohave Co.
The Mohave is absolutely beautiful (coming from a Minnesotan that was only there during the winter months). I've put on thousands of off-road ATV / RZR / RANGER / JEEP miles in the Mohave - never forget it. I would love to get back there on the TW and actually enjoy it for a vacation.

One time our Military RANGER convoy got lost and ended up in a militia camp in the mountains east of Yucca - now that is a story, glad to be alive still!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts