TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone mentioned doing something similar with good effect. So I looked around and found a 60 or 70 somthing Yami DT400 brake arm and switched out. It's about 2 inches longer and has better leverage. It is way better quality. Cast iron, not stamped like stock, shiny (I like shiny :) has a built in tightening nut pattern in lever. No need for a nut like on stock lever. Better looking all around, not that it ia a critical spot lol.
To much time on hands?.... got it for $6

May be hopefull perception on my part...but. rear brake feels more responsive with less foot pressure on brake lever.
Did I mention it's shiny?
🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Should work just fine...it has for others.
I have the arm, just haven't installed it yet.
Let us know how it works out...

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
While the longer lever will give you some mechanical advantage (i.e., less foot pressure) over the stocker, you may also notice that it requires slightly more travel (i.e., downward movement) of the brake pedal for the same braking force. This should take you about 5 minutes of riding to get used to this difference.

Wow, your fancy red snail adjusters go all the way up to 40, while I think the stockers only go up to 9 - that must be a significant improvement also :eek:;):D!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the longer lever will give you some mechanical advantage (i.e., less foot pressure) over the stocker, you may also notice that it requires slightly more travel (i.e., downward movement) of the brake pedal for the same braking force. This should take you about 5 minutes of riding to get used to this difference.

Wow, your fancy red snail adjusters go all the way up to 40, while I think the stockers only go up to 9 - that must be a significant improvement also :eek:;):D!
I was looking for adjusters up to 100 for incredible versatility in absolutely necessary adjustments... also shaved at least 2 grams of weight on swingarm, liked a different bike on the trails :p :D ;)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Are you makin' fun of me...? :grin:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
TWB -

"I was making fun of the red snail adjuster's scale (kind of like turning your amplifier up to 11 ).
Nah, I was just referring to the "Also shaved at least 2 grams of weight on swingarm, like a different bike on the trails."

As I'm always chasing a few lbs., ozs. and now...Grams!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasn't making fun of anyone..promise! Just playing off the larger snail numbers brought up by TWbrian.
Got out for a 57 mile dirt trip today. Absolutely perfect weather and no-one else on the trails.

That little modification in the brake lever is a solid improvement. It's more viable now, before it was used only when front brake use was not a good idea (loose steep grades etc) After adjusting play/slack on thumbscrew it engages with more solid braking. Simple, improved and am using it more.

Pic shows how hard I had to hold on to handlebars and clamp on seat to not fall into infinity.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
TWB -

"I was making fun of the red snail adjuster's scale (kind of like turning your amplifier up to 11 ).
Nah, I was just referring to the "Also shaved at least 2 grams of weight on swingarm, like a different bike on the trails."

As I'm always chasing a few lbs., ozs. and now...Grams!

Replace the air in your tires with helium.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Everybody's a comedian! :p

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
It looks like you had to hang on real tight looking at that pic. You would fall straight up if you hadn't held on well enough. Great write up about the lever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts