TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tail light bulb just burned out on my wife's bike. I'm pretty sure it would have been the OEM and original one... and we've had the bike for 2-3 years now. Anyways, I went to my local NAPA store and they sold me a LMP 1157 replacement bulb. The form factor is right, it fits in, but both elements stay on all the time. So it looks like her brake is always on...

I checked the voltages, and both poles (in the bulb socket) are always on. The NAPA guy told me that one pole should be always hot, i.e. the one to run the filament for the running lights. When the brake is engaged, the other pole should become hot to run the second filament and make the light brighter. But in my case, both are always on.

How would go about debugging it further? Seems like I have a short somewhere... I took the seat off, and have no idea where to look for the connections to see where the trouble might be.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance,

tom.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
1157's only fit one way. Make sure you haven't forced the pins as some brands will bridge both contacts if you don't seat the bulb properly.

If it's installed correctly either your brake switch has broken or has fallen out of the perch, the foot brake switch is broken or out of adjustment or you have a sbort.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
a short would blow a fuse or melt wires. most likely its a switch. look at your brake light switches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brilliant -- thank you both! The bulb was right. I checked the switches (first time I looked at them) and the foot brake's wire was a bit bent. I straightened it out and voila it fixed the issue. Thank you!

tom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts