TW200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I check my 1998 tw's signals, running lights & brake light every time before I ride.

Yesterday the brake light didn't work. Actually, it did a couple of times during a 60 ride to work, but then, nothing. That's not working with either front lever or rear pedal.

I checked the bulb, seemed ok, but replaced it. No change. Replaced it with another, but still no brake light. That's bad news for me 'cos I need the bike to get to work.

Can any of you guys guide me through a few things to check. I really don't want to take the thing to a mechanic for something I can do myself, but like I said, it's my transportation & I need that brake light.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard

·
Registered
215 Posts
Are you getting a running light and no brake light or no light at all.

In either case I would check the bullet connectors that connect the tail light to the rest of the wiring harness. They are located under the rear plastic and ziptied to the frame. I am guessing one could have come loose.

they should look like

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What he said ^. Just removed the seat and rear plastic and it's pretty obvious where the connections are. Undo them, put some dielectric grease on them and plug them back up as they go. If that's no good, maybe take the lens off the light and check it out inside for a pinch or something loose. A voltmeter wouldn't hurt, but I couldn't tell you the best order to check the circuit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks guys. Yeah that was it.

I did the deed last night - figured it out by wiggling the wad of wires back there that that was the problem, removed the seat, etc, etc.

I didn't actually pull the connectors apart & reconnect after greasing, but pushed them together hard, then wrapped the bundle with electrical tape. The brake light works consistently now so I'll leave it like that but if I get a problem again I'll do your disconnect/reconnect thing.

Thanks again guys - Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts