TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Is there an aftermarket petal with tip and cable available for TWs?

I've got stock petal with tip mounted but the tip is not too secure???:(

Brake petal tip.jpg

youngfred

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i'm not quite sure what your asking, but the mod i did to enlarge my brake petal was weld the end of my stock foot peg onto the end to make it an easier target to stomp on.

several people, including tw-brian have added a "brake-snake" cable from the pedal to the edge of their skidplate to prevent snagging of sticks and brush.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Petals? I thought they were pedals like on my bicycle.
Silly me, maybe I should stop trying to make them go around in a circle then.
A brake snake cable does really help prevent brush from getting stuck between brake mechanism and frame thus bringing bike to a halt. Most of us build our own brake snake from aircraft cable or dog chains. Year ago a wildly overpriced commercial version was available but still required custom instllation. Check Amazon or favorite bike accessory vendor.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
20,479 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Petals? I thought they were pedals like on my bicycle.

thanks for catching that fred!

here's two pics of my brake pedal. ;)
brake ii.jpg brake i.jpg
the way i can stomp on the brake would give new meaning to "tip toe through the tulips!"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Do your bikes actually have a cable? My 1993 has the metal rod as linkage. Maybe I'm off base.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
A clumsy off-road pilot such as myself often can't stay exactly on a narrow trail. Thus I wander off to the side where brush and small saplings can get power lodged between the brake lever and the bike's frame bringing things to an embarrassing halt.
This is where a brake-snake can prevent the jam up and save me from digging in the on-board tool collection to find something to cut and hack the offending brush away. A nice green 1 inch pine sapling or two, oozing sticky sap from freshly scraped off bark can be a challenge to cut free. Similarly a big interwoven mess of wiry tough brush like manzanita jammed in there can bring tears to the eyes when trying to remove. Thus my fondness for a brake snake.

The cable runs from brake pedal tip forward to an attachment at front of skid plate. The cable acts as a guard intercepting and deflecting brush, sticks and saplings away from entrapment between lever and frame. Cable needs just a little slack to permit brake pedal to be fully depressed.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for the link, Fred. I ordered one. Cheaper than messing around trying to fab one for me.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
After seeing the picture and reading Fred's post again I got it. I can see how that is a good thing. I just never had heard of it. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
How about "stomp-y stop-y thing" under the right foot and "nifty shifty thing" for the left foot?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts