TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you folks use what is often referred to as a brake snake ?
Basically a cable or chain that usually runs from skidplate to brake pedal which is supposed to keep brush and saplings out of that gap. Usually home made from aircraft cable ,a.k.a. wire rope, etc.
I recently removed mine since it made clamping the footpeg to the MotoJack carrier for transport more difficult.

So of course I had to snag a gnarly twisted aspen and rip it out of the ground. I killed the tree but it also killed any further T-Dubbery until I could get it out. Totally jammed up, jammed on brakes, unmovable sapling and bike...I was potentially in a jam.

Fortunately a Leatherman multi-tool's wood saw blade was able to cut the green trunk between elbows and eventually free Betty Boop.
I post because the sapling seemed unusually big for the gap, really squeezed in there. Don't know if my old brake snake would have made any difference, I might have just ended up with cable caught up in the trunk needing to be cut.

See if I can find a picture...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've thought of doing one once I get a better skidplate. I tend to hit up old seldom used roads that can be a bit brushy down the center and sometimes you have to cross that. I seem to have more problem with the brake light switch coming unhooked at the bottom.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't know what I think about brake snakes....mixed feelings there. I think it's just best to make sure you have a clear view or detailed knowledge of your terrain. Otherwise what's a few ferns?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
A "brake snake"?
Sure...they work.
But don't forget your "shifter serpent"!
They do, too...:eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Got’em on both brake and shifter. Used aircraft cable ties that came with Costco led shop lights. Drilled small hole in each lever and then fastened other end to skid plate with sheet metal screw. No weeds, grass, sticks or small trees yet!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Used aircraft cable ties that came with Costco led shop lights
These things? I did the LED swap with the Costco/Feit twin tube fluorescent tube style shop lights in both garages and the laundry room all at the same time. Had a pile of these left over since I already had hangers in place:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Got’em on both brake and shifter. Used aircraft cable ties that came with Costco led shop lights. Drilled small hole in each lever and then fastened other end to skid plate with sheet metal screw. No weeds, grass, sticks or small trees yet!
These things? I did the LED swap with the Costco/Feit twin tube fluorescent tube style shop lights in both garages and the laundry room all at the same time. Had a pile of these left over since I already had hangers in place:
Hey guys,

I'll send you some beer money for a few sets of those!

Brian

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine had hooks on the end instead of those cylinder looking things. Placed the loop over the screw into the skid plate and passed the hook portion through a hole I drilled in both brake and shifter arms. Brian, I’ll look around and see if I can find my leftovers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts