1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts
Normal and Welcome!! :D

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Normal. Change the oil at 25 hours and clean the filter in kerosene, then again at 100 hours.
Vary the RPM a lot for the first 500 miles and don't overheat it...not usually a problem at this time of year.
By the 500 mile oil change most of the metal shavings will be gone. Then you can go to 1,000 mile intervals.
At 1,500 miles you can start using full synthetic and the clutch and gearbox will be smoother.

Now you can expect 40,000 miles of trouble free riding. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,996 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I agree with normal but you still have to keep an eye on things as it breaks in. Any leaks will produce smells so after and before each ride give it a good look over. A lose bolt from the factory is no unheard of and even some oil spilled on or into the engine fins or exhaust will make stink. New paint is most likely the cause and that will burn in in short order after you run the engine to full operating temps a few rides.

If after it gets 100 miles on it if it still smells bad then just send the bike to me for proper disposal.:p My dog is over 10 years old and still emits some funky smells from time to time but I have learned to live with her.

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to our forum.

GaryL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts