TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Brand New Bike Requirements

5K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  808 Putt-Putt 
#1 ·
Hey guys just bought a brand new 2019 TW. Got a great deal buying it in 2020. First things first I’m super stoked to finally have my own TW and looking forward to talking to you guys about the bike.
I’d like to know if you guys recommend any must do accessory add-ons or aftermarket parts that are positively recommend for safety or bike reliability. I will be riding the bike around town and off-road in the UP of Michigan.

#2 ·
Bigger pegs are a nice low cost upgrade. The stock front tire has been known to cause troubles for some off road. Use caution as you see if it’s ok for you. Lots of options if you want to upgrade it. The stock skid plate is somewhat weak if you’re navigating big rocks. There are a few aftermarket pieces that offer better protection. Enjoy your new bike!

#3 ·
^^^All of those^^^

I also like bar risers. A rack is an absolute must for me as well. I prefer CycleRacks but there are other, smaller options.

Congrats on the new toy!

#4 ·
Tusk handlebar lever/hand protectors. One little drop w/o them and your clutch or brake lever could be toast. Larger pegs, new front tire - Kenda 241 are good. SO many others lol! But this would be a good start - plemty of toys to add on are readily available. Procycle is a good place to see what's available
Enjoy!

#6 ·
I think the bike is fine as it comes off the showroom floor....assuming they have prepped it correctly..... the only changes I would make would be the addition of a rear rack and a kick starter....I will add that I have not added a kick started but I ride it in a manner that would allow a compression start if necessary and I keep the battery charged

#7 · (Edited)
Big welcome & congradulations!

I feel nothing is really "MUST DO" for safety nor reliability. However the above suggestions summarize well the more common add-ons based on rider experience.
Maybe ride a bit before major changes.

It really is not too hard to ride beyond the capabilities of the stock front tire. Hate to see you crash on your early wet strong cornering attempts or sandy pavement but it would allow you to later really appreciate any subsequent purchase of a better tire ( something like a Shinko 241 or 244). While many will say the stock tire is fine but I think this is from lack of experience with anything else. Put another way I know of no one who claims to have gone back to a TrailWing tire in the front after experimenting with an alternative tire.

Next is handguards to protect your investment. Broken levers or perches after a minor tip over, even in the garage, are not uncommon. Brushguards like the popular ~$55 D-flex model can protect bars as well as your hands. Depending on personal budget one can spend twice, or half that amount.

With a few miles under your belt you may realize the stock suspension could be better. Usually TWs come with inadequate amount of fork oil for adequate rebound dampening and husky Americans. Probably OK if you weigh 140 pounds though.

Much of the rest is ergonomics, but a more comfortable posture allows greater control and comfort which translates into both safer at normal speeds and the ability to push the bike harder. Thus the ever popular wider foot pegs, handlebar risers and superior seat foam.

Once comfy, capable and competent on the new bike you'll likely want to range further afield thus the cargo rack. Might find yourself wanting to go moto-camping or simply use the TW haul home beer and a pizza and the mail using the rack.

Above all go have fun and learn to interface well with the new bike. They are different but lots of fun.

#9 ·
It all depends on the kind of riding you do and the surfaces encountered. The stock tire is fine on dry pavement or reasonably hard dirt surfaces. It gets progressively more likely to let go without warning as the surfaces get wetter and softer. It also doesn't do well on small to large gravel. The tread design just doesn't have the grip on these surfaces that a trials tire like the Shinko 241 has. That tire will still let go, but it gives a little warning by skidding instead of instant loss of traction. A significant difference also occurs on downhill braking and turning. The end result is that the Shinko just feels more planted and controllable in all those types of riding, leading to more confidence. Having your front tire wash out suddenly without warning is not confidence building! Most of us out in the West have switched because we have lots of hills, lots of gravel, lots of wet rocks, etc.

#10 ·
Hey guys just bought a brand new 2019 TW. Got a great deal buying it in 2020. First things first I’m super stoked to finally have my own TW and looking forward to talking to you guys about the bike.
I’d like to know if you guys recommend any must do accessory add-ons or aftermarket parts that are positively recommend for safety or bike reliability. I will be riding the bike around town and off-road in the UP of Michigan.
i absolutely CANNOT believe they still make the TW. Wait, i got it. Yamaha is going for it, they want to beat Volkswagens record. Go Yamaha!

#11 ·
Brand-new, ride it as it is for a few weeks. What worked for others doesn't mean it's a need for you. Yamaha got it pretty good in the start. You just finish for yourself.
I've done a bunch of stuff that other have or will mention, some necessary and others not-so-much if you know what I mean.
My first mod was changing the stock footpegs to adult size. I actually didn't let anyone see the bike until I did that. Too ridiculous but it didn't make the bike go faster or perform better, ha.

Reactions: MSN Trailrdr
#12 ·
The first thing I add to any bike I ride off road is a skid plate and handguards. As mentioned in the posts above, a simple tip over in the garage (or anywhere for that matter) can result in at least a bent lever; worse case scenario being a broken master cylinder. As far as skid plates go, the stock one can be folded in half with your hands. Don't let this happen to you! :cry:

#15 ·
If I were to buy a brand new TW the very first thing I would do before leaving the dealer is have a good O or X ring chain installed and stash the stock one in a box so you can laugh at it for an easy 10,000 miles of near maintenance free riding. It might cost you between $70- $100 to buy and have installed but it will save you countless hours of constant adjustments and your chain and sprockets will last 2-3 times as long. Clean and re use the original oil filter at every change and if or when you or any shop does change/replace the oil filter make absolutely sure it has 4 tiny holes on the engine side. Oil is cheap but engines are costly so change it often and do it right from instructions you can find here. All the rest up above are basic add on farkles that make the TW yours and help to avoid catastrophic bumps and bruises. Creature comforts is what I call them but none are needed unless you want them.

GaryL

#16 ·
When I joined the forum, your question was the exact same question in my first post, just to cover all your bases and the some, here's the link with some awesome input from the forum members!

#18 ·
I think bike protection is an absolute requirement. I snapped and replaced both levers before I installed the Tusk handguards. They have saved my levers during a fall a few times, but more importantly - my hands! I mostly ride pretty rough jeep trails and have only knocked my crankcase one time with no damage. But, as soon as that happened, I installed a Ricochet skid plate. Think of those two things as riding boots and a helmet for the TW.

Reactions: Ride Now
#19 ·
I will say what I have done/wish I have done...

LED headlight (the oem bulb runs on a ton of power)
Heated grips are nice but not needed if you are riding slow, I would rather have wind blocking....
Bark busters/other reinforced bar protector. Remember you will drop this bike (off a cliff) and the factory levers break/bend.
beadrider seat is the best bang for you buck seating upgrade
Get an SAE quick disconnect for charging, this way you don't have to take the seat off each time you need to get to the battery.
RAM mirrors double ball folding mirrors. They are expensive but man are they nice, 30 seconds your mirrors are folded down. Very high quality mirrors/little vibration.
Skid plate is a must.
I have the cheap rack on the back that bolts to the turn signals...its fine for a tent/sleeping roll. However if you want to haul a deer our spend the extra $50 bucks and get the rack that bolts on to the pegs at the frame.
I bought the IMS foot pegs for $45...but you could easily find a knock off for less than half that. This is a must, falling off a peg is not safe.
I like the clean look of a fender eliminator kit/small rear turn signals.

In terms of reliability upgrades: the battery connector is helpful. These bikes are build a s#it house of brick. They keep chugging away no matter what. I put 1,500 miles of grueling Alaskan trails and it still keeps chugging away.
In terms of safety: Skid plate/bark busters/larger pegs... the rest are comfort upgrades because with this bike, you will want to ride it 24-7 so get comfy because you will see more amazing stuff on a TW than any other bike.

binge watch tdubskid on youtube and you will learn a few things about the bike.

#24 ·
Handguards were my first addition after a broken clutch perch complicated a several mile ride back out of a bouldery technical trail. No clutch meant no pauses, but rather dictated a "just go for it" approach.

#25 ·
Also just wanna give Nomadic racks a plug real quick. I got mine as a christmas present but they are like 90 bucks I think and a really solid little rack. The rack itself is aluminum and the mount is steel and it's all nicely powder coated. By no means an "adventure" size rack but for a gas can or a pack or both if you have a rotopax, it's great.

Attachments

#26 ·
congratulations! my own new bike now has a whopping 11 miles on it and im only two weeks out from my msf course. here's what i did as a 99% road bike (as i learn to ride it) with aspirations for someday getting into the yucky stuff, broken down by category. keep in mind im NOT a mechanic so this is easy stuff to do.

first step of course... name your new motorcyle! mine is putt-putt because thats the noise it makes. second step is buy the usual helmet, etc. etc.

"Please save my wallet" upgrades:
1. ricochet skidplate with the up-side coated with a can of rubberized car undercoating to absorb mechanical noise. tape the rim so you dont get overspray. anodized black from the factory because... reasons. i mounted it with rubber bushings over the original screws to help with the reported sound issues. after all this i dont notice any additional noise. changed from original because its cheap insurance against a cracked engine.
2. shorai lithium battery. changed because i also own a large cruising sailboat and im sold on lithium and being able to start and power things wherever and whenever i want without fear of being stranded. keep in mind im in hawaii so lithium's cold weather issues dont apply here otherwise i would have gone with an AGM. BONUS: the additional foam that comes with the battery to help it fit into the stock battery box also serves to, "fill in" the gap between the front fairing and the JNS headlight to prevent light leakage. check youtube to see what im talking about.
3. scorpio 900 alarm with perimeter sensor. i actually use this thing as a garage alarm that happens to also work on my putt-putt. win-win all around.

Comfort upgrades:
4. ims footpegs. I have size 16 6E feet so... there are a lot cheaper options but going on the not entirely unreasonable theory that expensive American-made stuff is best i popped for these. my boots cause problems with these but thats not the fault of the pegs.
5. seat concepts tall seat... because im old and fat. not necessarily in that order. the manufacturer is horrible with shipping, just so you know. shipping is a BIG thing for folks in hawaii... and everyone else i ordered from was way over the top incredible to worth with. especially the defender seat bolt people.
6. pro taper riser bar with the thingees needed to mount it up by 2". because im also tall. BONUS: it moves the stock mirrors high enough so that you can see behind you. in their stock location i was just looking at my shoulders.
7. Jimbo windshield. really didnt need this but figured it cant hurt and it helps support a great small business. i imagine that if i ever go faster than 30mph it will make a big difference.
8. defender quick-change seat bolts. i bought these after a horrible experience changing the battery which requires removing the seat. it comes under the category of, "i dont care how much it costs i just want this fixed!"

Utility upgrades:
9. cycleracks rack. i plan on using putt-putt to pick up 96 lb bags of concrete so this was my only option. BONUS: it should also help to keep putt-putt safe when i dump it sideways. it's a solid piece of kit. note that since its wider than the bike it also makes it a bit harder to mount. not much.
10. hard-bottom hart tool bag with shoulder strap. from walmart! it fits onto the rack like it was made for it. literally. it almost clicks into the rack. i plan on taking it with me when i park it so the shoulder strap comes in handy. the hard bottom should keep tools from stabbing me in a crash and its cheap too.
11. jns dot headlight. im a farmer and plan on using putt-putt as mobile lighting. this light is not only ridiculous levels brighter than stock it uses half the power. leaving me enough free electrons to use:
12. led driving lights. got them from walmart, 3500 lumens of fun! theyre mounted on the new pro taper bar next to the headlight and wired to the highbeams. they look ridiculous (like the lighting rig on my f150) but it works. nights here are dark and its easier to push putt-putt into position as a mobile lighting rig than moving the trucky.
13. usb charger. i got it from ebay and it mounts on the handlebar. easiest thing in the world, charges my phone and powers a small spotlight.
14. battery tender connector. i dont need it, but if i do, its there. i like being prepared.

Things i might do but at this point are uneccessary:
15. shinko 241 tire upgrade. definately doing this, definately dont need it now. i will someday.
16. x-ring chain. the stock one works, the bike moves. when it goes kablooey ill upgrade it.
17. dual metal sprockets and/or gear changes. if i need to get on the freeway, ill use my armored trucky, not my squishy putt-putt, so gearing it up isnt required for me. the stock gears work for now so ill use those until i have to change them.
18. suspension upgrades. i plan on using putt-putt gently so no need for an upgrade here. if i get into this whole motorcycle off-road jumpy thing ill buy a dedicated bike. i dont really think im going there.
19. upgraded horn. if im on the road and someone changes lanes into me i dont think the really cute meep horn is going to be noticed. i do plan on doing this once i find a horn i like and i already bought a relay for it. no air horns - funny but thats for my trucky.
20. a bicycle bell! when i upgrade the horn i need a cute one to use when i dont want to scare people.
21. clarke 2.7gallon gas tank. not really needed here. im on an island with a gas station every few hundred yards. yards, not miles. if im in the mountains i can roll downhill to a gas station. i also read that there may be quality issues?...

Hope that helps. i really like puttering around on it and the lights are great when im working outside in the dark.

#27 ·
Famous last words category:
15. shinko 241 tire upgrade. definately doing this, definately dont need it now. i will someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.