TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Damn, this is one heck of a crazy-hot deal if you ask me. I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about the drive-train in this bike yet (I know it's in a couple of other models like the V-Strom 250 and has other names in other countries, so more research on those might uncover some more info). However, just knowing Suzuki in general, and that the company tends to put plenty of love into its super-budget entry-level bikes, combined with the fact that this is a liquid-cooled parallel twin, I bet this motor could go 50k miles if you don't rev it too high on the freeway (maintain it, gear it right, and keep it down to 65 for cruising)!

I haven't shared this link yet...I will but, gotta build the suspense, you know? Hah. ;-)

The great thing about this particular model is that it seems to have sort of slipped through the cracks amid all the flash and hype from the other entry-level bikes: 300, 320, 400... And that's what makes it cheap! This little 250 tends to be forgotten because it won't compete on performance (quite a bit down on power/acceleration). But it shouldn't be. I say it should be loved for what it is LOL! While admitting that I need to do more research on it, I'd be willing to bet that this one will have better long-term durability than the others (with the possible exception of the R3, which has done really well in that regard so far...).

This is a NEW (albeit 2018 model) Suzuki GSX250R sport bike with all the modern goodies: 250 CC fuel-injected parallel twin, six speed transmission, and disc brakes -- gets probably 65 mpg, and it actually looks pretty good, too!

Normally, this bike MSRPs for a very-impressive-considering-what-you-get $4,500. If you're still with me, this is what you've been waiting for (or maybe you've just skipped all the drivel above and gone for instant gratification, LOL): this zero-miles 2018 GSX250R is being given away for an astounding $2,500 -- wow! [EDIT: found one for $2,400! -- and this isn't a one-off deal: plenty are available for $2,500 or a couple hundred more if you want newer ones/different colors]

I guess it's already an "undesirable" model because all the kids want the bigger motors so they can beat up on their high school buddies' old Honda Civics at the stoplight. Add in the fact that it's a leftover 2018 model, and I can imagine how much of a hard time the dealer must be having trying to get rid of it: hence this unbelievable deal.

I'm actually seriously tempted to get back into riding again and go buy it to use as a commuter haha! I've been tossing around the idea of buying another XT250 and putting street tires and 1-tooth up on the front and using it strictly for commuting, but this bike for this price...seems pretty unbeatable as a high-miles BUDGET commuter. I'm going to be moving soon and will likely end up traveling a few miles farther to work five days a week -- likely something like an 80 to 90 mile round trip as opposed to the current ~65. Lately, I've been commuting in my 4Runner or sometimes my Sierra 1500, both of which get around 20 mpg highway +/- 2. If my commute does change as I think it might (depending on where I end up moving to, exactly), then I could literally buy this bike in about 18 months with the gas savings (even accounting for extra maintenance costs compared to cars), and the bike would likely still be solid for another year after that -- or at least it's got to last long enough to pay for itself. Even if it were to die after ~$3,000 of gas savings, it would still have actually saved me a fair bit of money because that would be ~30,000 fewer miles on the cars (although the 4Runner probably isn't going to notice that tbh -- its motor and trans are basically lifers...).

Hmmm. What do you all think? Is this bike a hell of a steal or what!? It seems that way to me.

Oh yea, here's that link :) -----> https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2018-Suzuki-GSX250R-5009507211

$2,400 -----> https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2018-Suzuki-GSX250R-5006865781

As much as I love the Honda Grom, this is a "real motorcycle" that can do real highway miles, for a hundred bucks less!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That is a good deal. Since it is a street bike and 6 gears would probably do short freeway stints with no problems. That would make a good in town bike if it sits up a bit like the small CBR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's a good deal, and I really like Suzuki, but I'm not a fan of the riding position for longer rides. It looks sweet though. Like the white!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good deal, and I really like Suzuki, but I'm not a fan of the riding position for longer rides. It looks sweet though. Like the white!
Front what I've read/seen in reviews, it's supposed to actually be fairly comfortable and have a relatively upright seating position (more so than others in class). From what I gather, it's almost like a 650 with a 250 motor, except a bit narrower. That makes it heavy, but also relatively "spacious".

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't know SuzukI made those. I love it. How much are they new?
Well technically, the ones I linked to are actually brand new: they have never been sold or ridden by a consumer but instead have been sitting in a Suzuki warehouse somewhere for a while. That said, the new 2019s can be had for $2,700, while a new 2020 model is currently $4,600. To be honest, at that price, I would not be interested because I could buy an R3 instead for only $400 more (even for a brand new 2020 model).

The R3 is much faster and by far the best looking bike in the class IMO, but the Suzuki makes way more sense if reliable budget commuting is the primary focus.

I do think the Suzuki looks great and would give it a solid second place in the aesthetics category. Here's the R3 for comparison (scroll down for the 360 view):

I really like the engine in the R3; with 43 horsepower from only 321CC, it's got proper super sport genes. To put that number in perspective, the R3 motor actually produces the same crank horsepower as a Suzuki DR650. Interestingly enough, these two machines weigh almost exactly the same, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts