TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In prep for riding more off-road this year, I went ahead and ordered a pair of Forma Adventure Boots. I also ordered a pair of A.R.C. Pro-Flex Knee/Shin Guards.

I know these boots are meant to be stiff to protect the foot, ankle and shin. But I also know after a while everyone says the break in beautifully and are very comfortable. But the pair I tried on were very difficult to flex at the ankle (up & down in a shifting or braking motion), and chaffed terribly at the top where the elastic gathers at the front. When I kneel, the plastic shift protector pushes into the top of my foot painfully.

How do you guys break in new boots? Do you just wear them around the house all day? Do you put pads at the top to help protect from the velcro stitching? I got fat calves, so I won't be able to tuck the knee guards into the shaft for protection - they'll have to stay on the outside.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
In prep for riding more off-road this year, I went ahead and ordered a pair of Forma Adventure Boots. I also ordered a pair of A.R.C. Pro-Flex Knee/Shin Guards.

I know these boots are meant to be stiff to protect the foot, ankle and shin. But I also know after a while everyone says the break in beautifully and are very comfortable. But the pair I tried on were very difficult to flex at the ankle (up & down in a shifting or braking motion), and chaffed terribly at the top where the elastic gathers at the front. When I kneel, the plastic shift protector pushes into the top of my foot painfully.

How do you guys break in new boots? Do you just wear them around the house all day? Do you put pads at the top to help protect from the velcro stitching? I got fat calves, so I won't be able to tuck the knee guards into the shaft for protection - they'll have to stay on the outside.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I will be wearing my new boots on the greenridge ride, we can break ours in together. I actually had a pair of gaerne that I had to put bubble wrap in because they were so stiff. But yea I think you need to just wear them to work for the next week or so. Maybe you can start a new trend.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are the short version. I had to send the tall ones back because they were too small. Another pair of tall are on the way. I want to give them one more try in the larger size before deciding whether to keep them, or just go with the short version.
FormaAdventureBoots-Short.jpg

One thing that bugs the beejeezus out of me when it comes to clothing - and especially shoes - is the way the outside looks so great, is smooth and well finished, but the inside can be full of prickly velcro, bunched up seams, irritating collar tags, and scratchy thread ends. Like, I understand the exterior presentation is important, but come on already! Clothes (especially shoes) must be COMFORTABLE! Clothing should not rub raw spots on skin.

:dread: As you can guess, I do NOT believe in suffering for fashion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I bought the Gaerne and they were comfortable from day 1 and I can walk in them all day.
Yours sound like by motocross boots.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I currently have two pair of motorcycle boots and I had no trouble breaking either pair in. For my off road riding, I, like TopPredator bought the AlpineStar Tech 3 which are not an expensive boot so I was worried I wouldn't like them. I actually ordered them on a close-out and got a fantastic deal about two years ago.

Day 1 - put them on and wore them in the house for about three or four hours. I almost had to wear them to bed because I had trouble opening the buckles. I actually had to get the old school can/bottle opener that is holding papers onto my fridge to pry/pop those buckles open.

Days 2, 3 & 4 - As dorky as I looked, I walked for 30 - 40 minutes around the neighborhood. I was surprised how good they felt.

I will admit, mine didn't have any issues on the inside, I have been very pleased. My two issues are the buckles which still break my fingernails and they are not waterproof...so I bought waterproof socks. Most of the time I wear my Costco Merino wool socks and am quite comfy.

My other boots are really nice, they are Gortex and have a zipper rather than buckles but don't have the stiffness because they are for road riding. I can feel a huge difference when I stand on the pegs for any length of time. I can stand all day in my Tech 3's because they don't flex. Shifting and braking did take some getting used to. In fact, I was never sure if I was actually applying the rear brake or not at first and the shifting had to be approached differently than I was used to also....kind of from the side, my entire leg/foot....a different motion than with my old boots.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I chose the AlpineStar boots over the Forma Adventure after reading the reviews. I believe the AlpineStar boots provide better ankle protection. I broke my ankle while wearing these Sedici boots and I no longer wear them.

I still like the stock pegs and they probably give better clearance for shifting. I remember Werlock complaining about shifting issues using wide pegs.

image.jpeg

Better ankle protection

image.jpeg

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Don't know if this will work with your new fangled plastic boots. Back in the day of real leather MX boots I'd put them on and step into two buckets of water. Get them soaking wet and walk around until they were dry. Broken in and formed to your foot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Getting them wet does help. My old Sidi's didn't fit worth a darn until I rode them through a 2 hour long downpour.
Don't know about other makes but the plastic armoring looks like it's sewn onto a leather backing so it isn't as if the boot itself is made of plastic.

sidi.1.jpg

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
One thing that bugs the beejeezus out of me when it comes to clothing - and especially shoes - is the way the outside looks so great, is smooth and well finished, but the inside can be full of prickly velcro, bunched up seams, irritating collar tags, and scratchy thread ends. Like, I understand the exterior presentation is important, but come on already! Clothes (especially shoes) must be COMFORTABLE! Clothing should not rub raw spots on skin.

:dread: As you can guess, I do NOT believe in suffering for fashion. :rolleyes:
THIS is a legitimate complaint, when the materials used to construct the boot / shoe / garment are abrading your skin needlessly, then this is a quality problem with fit & finish. We can all agree that this is a problem when it comes to foot wear. And the fact that most feet are very different from one to the next, what is cushy for one feels like a rock for the next, high arch vs flat feet... Breaking in a pair of footwear will be different from one person to the next, & some footwear will not work for one person but work well for the next. This may be a case where a different brand may be the answer.

Now, I got to go figure out which shoes I'm wearing to work... :cool: m.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts