TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

Bought a '09 with 1200 miles. Don't believe any changes had been made.
Accelerates fine but when holding at speed, whether 30mph or 50mph, it feels like it's breaking up.
It's a very, very, subtle pulling and letting go and I can't really hear it in the engine. I could easily live with it
but if I can improve it, I'd like to.
Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thanks-

Kenny

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Most likely the carb is running lean. They come from the factory set this way to pass smog laws. There should be a plug or tiny cap on the bottom of the carb, take this off and adjust the pilot screw out more. That should solve it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
To add to what skippy suggested.....depending on where you live / ride (altitude)....rejet the main to a larger jet perhaps.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Skippy and Frog have pointed you in the right direction.

Yep, it's the lean surge... Cured by opening the pilot screw 2 1/2 turns to start with.

Then perhaps a larger main jet.

Read the "Stickies" in the Tech Section on carb tuning, and look at the photos of the carb parts.

jb

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Great!
That tiny adjustment can make a huge difference. You should notice easier starts in the cold weather, and smoother all around performance.
Perhaps even a little more ummmph. It's a easy fix wasn't it?. And it gives you peace of mind that alls well. Glad to have helped you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts