TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't be scared, there were no ghosts. This ride could be considered another ditch SanDue by Fred adventure. To make a longer story shorter we discovered a wonderful boon-docking location at the north end of Bridgeport Lake four miles down Sweetwater road. This location is also the start of the Masonic Road that leads 30 miles across the high desert to ghost town Bodie Calif. lots of side roads to different gold mines and old structures. From the number of bullet holes in everything, there maybe more lead then gold nowadays.

During the trail ride we met a couple in a quad runner. I told Sue over the microphone that I was going to stop and talk to this couple, who had stopped to let us by. Well, evidently, I applied the brakes at the same time as saying it and failed to give Sue enough time and distance to stop safely. During her emergency breaking the front wheel slid out from under her and she CRASHED. A couple of minor bruises. I immediately started some first aid by reminding her of the Joemama ride which made her feel much better. If it wasn't for gravity assist she would have crashed into me.

Twenty miles into the ride we happen upon a small field of obsidian rocks. Sue was pleading to pick these rocks up. I reminded her she has obsidian at home on her kitchen window sill. She's a rock hound! In a one on one battle with Sue, I'll lose. I explained to her that she was on Federal property which prohibited her from removing or collecting any artifacts. She thru the rocks down and exclaimed the government should be more interested in North Korea then these rocks! I know I feel better knowing those rocks are still laying out there in the middle of no place. Ha.

Sue and I ride into Bodi like a couple of Range Riders, everyone was looking at us. Uh huh, we're bad Uh huh ..... We look down the road to the park entrance and notice a long line of cars waiting there turn to pay there entrance fee. We evidently sneaked in the back way. You would think no big deal, but it's Dan were talking about. Who knows what they would do to me for seven dollars. I was relieved when we happened upon a fee collection box on the main walking trail. I put my seven dollars in the collection box and got a number to match the envelope with my money in it. Sue didn't. But, she gets away with everything. The only reason I didn't get rained on that day was because I was with Sue.

Sue's battery on her bike was giving us fits. It doesn't seem to be recharging itself. Had to push start the bike each time we turned it off, ha ha look at the Range Riders now haha. After the days ride I took her dead battery into Bridgeport to see if I could get it charged. I was instructed to try Napa auto parts at the end of town. On my way, without thinking which is not uncommon, I pull up to this guy not but a few feet away and turn off my bike and said, "Napa Auto Parts"? This guy was in the process of getting out of his pick up truck and when he shut the door and stood before me I said to my self " this guy was Plumbstraight times two. He was wearing full desert camouflage, a tool belt with weapons on it, probably grenades too. He could've whooped bear with a switch! He smiles, points down the street and walks away. He didn't mention they were closed! He didn't say a single word. He just pointed and walked away. He was a real he man, didn't have to say a word. Now if it were a women, she may have said," Napa, oh my husband shops there when he's working on the car, it's real easy to find when I tell you where it's located next to the ---------". The guy didn't have to say a word. Hoorah! I still have to charge Sue's battery. On my ride back to camp I decide to pull into a mobile home park with the thought that there must be a dozen or more people living here that own a battery charger. The problem was who? I ride around the park a couple of times to draw attention to myself. I notice a canoe on a trailer that had an electric motor on its transom. I pull up near the canoe and the owner appears and confronts me. We get to talking and to make a long story short he charges Sue's battery for four hours which gave her enough charge to start her bike for the next days ride. There are still nice people in this world. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

Attachments

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Outstanding Dan! Sounds like you must have ridden through ghost town of Masonic on your way from north end of Bridgeport Lake to the back entrance into Bodi State Park. That would spend more than 20 miles.
Here I was thinking of whether it was too soon to propose a return visit to the Sweetwaters and lo-and-behold you two adventures have just arrived back.

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
So Dan, did you give Sue a ride on the old elevated tram way that carried ore downhill from mine to mill? 40917876.jpg

From Masonic one can loop to the north back following the East Walker River via NF 47 , cross west over the highway end enter the Sweetwaters via Desert Creek. Watch out for stormy weather as caught by this amazing time lapse photo. 75583285.jpg
Lightning strikes are pretty much over the region our Group Ride played on.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
You have been given the talent to write in a funny and entertaining way. I chuckle so much when reading your stuff.

In a car we were gonna stop in Bodie until we saw all the cars parked along the road before the entrance. We turned around and left without seeing Bodie other than what one can see from a distance. We were disappointed. On Fred's Sweetwater ride, there was some mention of riding over that what. Lots of options out there for sure.

From the number of bullet holes in everything, there may be more lead than gold nowadays. :p Too funny.

P.S. Tell sue, not to tailgate! :p

·
Registered
948 Posts
I NEED to do this ride! Thanks for sharing - it's on my to do list :)

I was in this area yesterday with a couple buddies on our street bikes - we went down Kingsberry grade had a cold one at the Genoa Saloon. lunch at Ziggy and Quibbys (or something like that) it was strongly recommended by the bartender at Genoa -- flat out the best BLT I have ever had - a half pound of bacon cooked to perfection on a charcoal grill - one of my new favorite places! After lunch we went over Monitor Pass into Lake Tahoe and home on the 50 - It was 68 degrees at the top of Monitor - we stayed there for half an hour talking and soaking up the view and the cool breeze....
Thanks again!

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Just came over Luther Pass through the burn zone that swept up from Topaz Lake. All extinguished.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D
That's an amazing area, last Time I was there was early 90s at Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training center. Would love to find an excuse to go back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
I’ve taken the TW through the Marine Mountain Warfare School to explore some quality riding back behind the main base. Very friendly guard at the gate explained just a few reasonable restrictions and off I went. Considerate riding earned courteous treatment from the few troops encountered humping the hills or setting up encampments. As always the Marines were impressive, but I was not tempted to enlist.
A good ride to add when riding over Sonora pass.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Is there anyplace you haven't been Fred?? :p
I’ve taken the TW through the Marine Mountain Warfare School to explore some quality riding back behind the main base. Very friendly guard at the gate explained just a few reasonable restrictions and off I went. Considerate riding earned courteous treatment from the few troops encountered humping the hills or setting up encampments. As always the Marines were impressive, but I was not tempted to enlist.
A good ride to add when riding over the pass.

Reactions: SanDue

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Dan, Sue...What a great couple! We really have to go ride together again.
They were brave & gullible enough to travel 450 miles to join me and RIDER21 at Alabama Hills this January for a New Year's ride. Then iffy whether forced a detour & a 600 mile return. GOOD PEOPLE does not begin to describe how wonderful this couple is...but perhaps I say this because I am getting hooked on Sue's camp cooking.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's an amazing area, last Time I was there was early 90s at Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training center. Would love to find an excuse to go back.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
It sounds like fun! I spent a couple weeks there as a reservist in the USMC in the early eighties. To this day it is the only time this Pennsylvania boy has.ever have seen the Rocky Mountains and I have some fantastic pictures to show for it. The coolest thing there was this big cliff called Big Face. On our two days off everybody went to Reno or Carson City but me and a fellow Marine went up higher in the mountains to hike and camp....the trip of a lifetime for me!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dan, Sue...What a great couple! We really have to go ride together again.
They were brave & gullible enough to travel 450 miles to join me and RIDER21 at Alabama Hills this January for a New Year's ride. Then iffy whether forced a detour & a 600 mile return. GOOD PEOPLE does not begin to describe how wonderful this couple is...but perhaps I say this because I am getting hooked on Sue's camp cooking.

Your too kind Fred! Thank you. The truth of the matter is we can be sweet two days in a row if one of them is Sunday. I like the idea of camping at the narrow end of Bridgeport lake and riding sweet water and Bodi from there. The campsite is four miles from town, very quite and little traffic. There was an insect problem in the evening though. We didn't notice any insects until we entered the lighted camper to retire. They weren't very big, but there sure we're a lot of them. They were so tiny. Probably should have left the door closed. I learn by doing, even if it's learning not to do it. I'm feeling pressured with spring coming upon us and this terrible virus floating around. I mean we have the Boonville Ride we are looking foreword too. Not to mention the "Northwest passage with outlaws" ride. We also want to finish exploring the Bodi area. Last but not least, we want to choose a place that we have never been, which shouldn't be hard to find. We're all dressed up and no place to go! Dirts a Flyen SanDue. 🙄😀

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
Dan, how about here sometime?

Burlington Motorcycle Trail System - RiderPlanet USA
www.riderplanet-usa.com › trails › info › california_12316 › ride_6f85

Not nearly half way between us is Burlington Ridge ORV park ~15 miles uphill on HWY20 from Nevada City. Only place listed on Rider Planet I enjoy visiting. Above the ticks and poison oak, below the snow.
Supposedly some 50 miles forested intermediate single track and easy fire roads. Relaxing twisty pavement and graded dirt play available into the gold country too. Nearby equestrian campground has lots of room for the trailer encumbered. Nearby gold rush village of Washington will sell you a $15 hamburger.
If you play this at half speed think it might be good for Sue? I thought the area would be good to build single track skills and confidence. None of the loose sand of Alabama Hills or Moab.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Start another thread Fred. We're in.

Fred's guide service is offering a 50% discount. Riding out is free, but coming back $$$.
Dirts a Flyen SanDue 🙄😀

·
Registered
20,407 Posts
I'll see if campgrounds and trail system are officially open and the latest snows melted first. When I rode there a few weeks ago between storms it was debatable....some signs said "OPEN" based on calendar date, other signs said to call a number that never picked up.
Should be warmer than this:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts