TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Piaa super plasma gtx "35w". I put one in the 98 i had and it was brighter with more of a white/cool white color. I think i got it for around $34 shipped.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Yes and yes i believe it was an hs1. Or you could do one advmonster model 60 which is 30watts but you couldnt use it in traffic but would be awesome on backroads or offroading. Do the switch mod and run it on a toggle. Your talking alot more money though

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I was bored so I went through the Yamacatalog year by year looking at headlights

1987 to 1997 1ML-84314-00-XX BULB,12V35W35W

1998 to 1999 Yamaha does not list any bulbs for these two years !?!

2000 to 2001 1ML-84314-00-XX BULB,12V35W35W

2002 2F9-84314-00-00 BULB,H4 12V60/55W

2003 to 2010 5V2-84314-00-XX BULB,H4 12V60/55W (Catalog shows this bulb is no longer available)

2011+ 2F9-84314-00-00 BULB,H4 12V60/55W

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the PIAA HS-1 Super Plasma GT-X like Small's has. The stock bulb is a very yellowish dim 35w, on a new battery, and the PIAA bulb is supposed to be as bright as a 55w. I didn't want to put a 60/55w bulb in because of the '95 electrical system's smaller capacity.

While searching for info I did see some brighter upgrades for my '08 (60/55w bulb) that I might have to get later on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the PIAA HS-1 Super Plasma GT-X like Small's has. The stock bulb is a very yellowish dim 35w, on a new battery, and the PIAA bulb is supposed to be as bright as a 55w. I didn't want to put a 60/55w bulb in because of the '95 electrical system's smaller capacity.

While searching for info I did see some brighter upgrades for my '08 (60/55w bulb) that I might have to get later on.

Any updates on the performance of the PIAA bulb? The light output coming from my '93 is scary low IMO. I'm afraid even if I replace the stock halogen with a slightly higher output bulb I still won't be happy. I know guys who do H4 to HID conversions but I'm not sure how easy it is to do on the older TWs. I'm looking at LEDs

I checked out advmonster's lights it got me wondering if anybody has replaced the older TW's actual headlight and replaced it with a custom LED headlight. sanjoh on advrider is the man behind advmonster and he sells custom headlight replacements for KTM and Husky models. I think a similar light insert would be even easier to mount in the TW housing because it's built to hold our existing 4x6 halogen bulbs. I've seen guys do great things with kitchen cutting board material. A headlight guard would even help with potential theft or damage to your nice LED. As far as these LEDs not being street legal, you can run a dimmer and set a light at any percentage output (ie 40%, 50%) for low beam and 100% for high beam.

Rigid Industries makes other great LED lights and they have flush mount options for some of their driving lights

http://www.rigidindustries.com/D2-FlushMount-LED-Light-Driving-p/d2-flmt-dr.htm

Baja Designs has the very popular Squadron LED light. This one is the flush mount driving light. It's the most expensive of the bunch but a very good light. Many guys run them on dirt bikes at 40% on the street and say it's still a ton of light. At 100% it's allegedly sunshine.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=491003

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any updates on the performance of the PIAA bulb? The light output coming from my '93 is scary low IMO. I'm afraid even if I replace the stock halogen with a slightly higher output bulb I still won't be happy. I know guys who do H4 to HID conversions but I'm not sure how easy it is to do on the older TWs. I'm looking at LEDs
The PIAA bulb is definitely brighter but still inadequate in my opinion. We've got a lot of deer in Michigan and I need to see them with enough time to react. I'm still doing updates on the bike so I haven't ridden it yet but I've had it sitting next to my 08 in the driveway at night and it's not as bright/white as the stock bulb in the '08. The other difference is that the beam on the PIAA is more focused and the beam from the '08 is more diffused and covers a wider area.

I'm interested in LED's too but will probably look at adding flood/spot type lights. Small's has a set of Advmonster model 44's on his bike. He posted pics and they're bright. Others have tried different floods as well.

I'm replacing most of my bulbs with LED's to free up capacity. Keeping the electrical system balanced is important I've been told.

The lights you found are impressive.....3600 lumens @ 42watts. Wow! But they're beyond my budget.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tirebiter, Thank You for the reply. I'm saddened to hear that the PIAA light is still not as good as the stock '01+ TW's headlight. That definitely won't be enough for what I want.

My thoughts on going to LED as a headlight replacement were that I can keep my wattage pull near to the stock halogen 35w bulb and keep the factory look while having much more light output. I'm no expert on LEDs but I feel that the Rigid Industries and Baja Designs lights have more R&D behind them than the advmonsters. The Baja Designs Squadron is quite impressive but I won't be putting a $300+ light on a 21 year old bike anytime soon. I posted the Rigid as a possible option due to it's physical size and flush mounting option. If one were to consider 2 advmonster LEDs, when combined with brackets, they might break even with the Rigid at $210 which, isn't cheap either. I'm personally kind of leaning towards a headlight replacement as opposed to auxiliary lights.

Depending on individual usage and specific need, one could run even less expensive auxiliary floods and still get light onto the road/trail in front of them. People could argue the "quality" of the light (hot spots, true lumens etc) but IMO more light is better and safer than no light. I've been on a few recent Baja trips on my other bike and down there you have cows, wild horses, oncoming traffic etc - I'm absolutely sold on powerful lights as being a safety requirement both daytime and especially at night.

For auxiliary lights, this is an interesting website. I have no affiliation and no experience with these lights nor company.

http://dx.com/p/15w-1300lm-cree-xre-q5-5-led-5-mode-white-light-car-electric-car-motorcycle-lamp-8-12v-176019

As far at their true performance, we'd have to put the bikes next to each other and go for a night ride to find out!

There is some great info in this thread already. I hope to hear what others are thinking too and keep this conversation about the older TW headlights going!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey all, I came across this excellent LED light idea that I thought I would share - this guy on ADVrider is running a $100 advmonster model 60 led light in the stock housing on his dualsported 08 Kawasaki KLX450R. It looks stock and extra trick IMHO. He is running a variable (and adjustable) dimmer (most likely this $60 pwm rotary dimmer).

He says "In test rides I have found the light to be a huge improvement over stock, and more than adequate for street or trail riding."

I think it's a great idea! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do those guys spread light across the ground and keep it out of the eyes of oncoming traffic as well as the classic headlight lenses do?

I'm all about new tech that's functional, but kind of worry about being run into by a blinded driver.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
They spread light everywhere. Definitely not for traffic use unless you dim it down alot. You could do the switch mod to the stock switch and then run the led on a toggle. In traffic turn off the LED and turn on the stocker. One model 44 is way brighter than the stock headlight on the old bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They spread light everywhere. Definitely not for traffic use unless you dim it down alot. You could do the switch mod to the stock switch and then run the led on a toggle. In traffic turn off the LED and turn on the stocker. One model 44 is way brighter than the stock headlight on the old bike.

Great info Smalls! I know you have twin 44s and they look great.

I'm starting to think one Model 60 custom installed into the stock headlight would be awesome - just like the Kawi I posted about. My 35w stock light is nearly worthless. I would do away with it. To me, better lighting makes for a safer ride.

I was originally thinking a Model 30 and 44 flush mounted on the stock glass headlight lens (or custom lexan insert) but at $100 for the Model 60 and $45 for the remote model dimmer I think it could be a win. If I ran solo 60 on a moto (riding in the middle of the lane) I'm not sure how much excessive light spillover there would be for oncoming traffic if I ran the dimmer say at 40% low beam. I think even at 40% I would have much more usable light from the headlight. When I'd flip the stock headlight switch to high beam - bam, 3600 lumens!

Smalls, have you compared a solo Model 44 vs the 60?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
No but im sure it will impress you. One 44 is way better than what you currently have. I think one 60 would be the way to go. It will have more light everywhere and be cheaper than running two lights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts