TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have shortish fingers and sometimes I find it hard to get consistency with my TW's clutch.

I need to bring the lever 3 or 4mm closer to the bar without adjusting the amount of "free play" or whatever u call it. What is the correct manual terminology for this do I need to look at in the manual?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Hi Tubs,

Unable to do this with the OEM levers. Would need aftermarket. Found these on Amazon...shows they fit multiple Yamaha models, including the TW200 (2001-2016). My guess is that the ad hasn't been upgraded to include 2017-current, as nothing has changed re OEM lever/perches, etc.

May want to send them a note to confirm they fit your model year.

Come as a set, so you'll get adjustable front brake lever too. Multiple colors to choose from also.

Tool Bicycle part Rim Font Bicycle drivetrain part

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tubs,

Unable to do this with the OEM levers. Would need aftermarket. Found these on Amazon...shows they fit multiple Yamaha models, including the TW200 (2001-2016). My guess is that the ad hasn't been upgraded to include 2017-current, as nothing has changed re OEM lever/perches, etc.

May want to send them a note to confirm they fit your model year.

Come as a set, so you'll get adjustable front brake lever too. Multiple colors to choose from also.

View attachment 227358
Thanks mate, mine is a 1999 do u think it will fit? I dont think they have changed much!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Thanks mate, mine is a 1999 do u think it will fit? I dont think they have changed much!
No idea. There could be subtle differences made from the pre 2001 models to 2001. I wouldn't think so, but don't know. Maybe someone else in here will know. I'd also send the seller a note asking which you can do on that link. Good luck!

Reactions: Tubs

·
Administrator
6,741 Posts
The '99 you have is a drum brake model - the levers indicated should fit fine

Best state the year of your bike when ordering to avoid mistakes .....

·
Super Moderator
15,638 Posts
Hi All,

I have shortish fingers and sometimes I find it hard to get consistency with my TW's clutch.

I need to bring the lever 3 or 4mm closer to the bar without adjusting the amount of "free play" or whatever u call it. What is the correct manual terminology for this do I need to look at in the manual?

Thanks!
Just a word of caution when it comes to short levers for TW's.
Does your '99 have a drum brake? If so the adjustable shorty levers may not work as the perch mount is different between pre & post-2001 models because the 2001 and above changed to a disc brake.
On my 82 XT200, the adjustable shorty lever worked on the clutch side but not the brake side. This is the brake side on the XT200. I assume similar to the TW brake perch.
Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle frame Bicycle fork

Here is my wife's 2016 TW where the adjustable shorty lever does work. TW with disc front brake.
Wood Red Glove Tool Personal protective equipment

In this picture is a shorty brake lever (non-adjustable) I got for my XT200 which I haven't put on yet (top) and below is an adjustable shorty lever for a 2001 and later disc brake for a TW. There is quite a difference between the 2.
Bicycle part Plant Auto part Composite material Tree

Somewhere on the forum, member Reddave I believe found the link to the non-adjustable short levers for the pre-2001 TWs with the drum brake. Maybe you could private message him for a link if a google type search comes up blank for you.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a word of caution when it comes to short levers for TW's.
Does your '99 have a drum brake? If so the adjustable shorty levers may not work as the perch mount is different between pre & post-2001 models because the 2001 and above changed to a disc brake.
On my 82 XT200, the adjustable shorty lever worked on the clutch side but not the brake side. This is the brake side on the XT200. I assume similar to the TW brake perch.
View attachment 227385
Here is my wife's 2016 TW where the adjustable shorty lever does work. TW with disc front brake.
View attachment 227386
In this picture is a shorty brake lever (non-adjustable) I got for my XT200 which I haven't put on yet (top) and below is an adjustable shorty lever for a 2001 and later disc brake for a TW. There is quite a difference between the 2.
View attachment 227387
Somewhere on the forum, member Reddave I believe found the link to the non-adjustable short levers for the pre-2001 TWs with the drum brake. Maybe you could private message him for a link if a google type search comes up blank for you.
Hope this helps!
Yes front brakes are drums. Thats ok because it is the clutch that I only really need to change.

·
Registered
23,177 Posts
I have had that style on my TWs for several years now.
They work well; reliable, somewhat crash resistant, and permit one or two finger operation closer to the bars when properly adjusted. Only failure was a fastener that vibrated loose but that was my fault.
Do your right hand a favor and get a matching set of shorties. They used to exist for the drum brake. I saw them on Amazon over five years ago. I think I gave a link to LittleTommy back then for his lil' drummer.
A part interchangeability guide might reveal other models using same drum brake actuating lever then search for shorty lever for those models.

Reactions: Tubs and SpeedyTide

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put the left shorty on, the clutch has never felt so good! Mechanic adjusted brakes and clutch lever, OMG its like having a new bike.

He said that TW's are one of the few bikes that will just keep going forever, but they get abused alot which is why there are none left in Australia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts