TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have a pic of a broken rear shock?

Mine is the bad style and I am thinking of doing some reinforcing of it by building up the weld.

It appears to me that the bottom mounting plate must be double walled otherwise when it breaks the nitrogen would leak out. Is this true? If so welding it carefully might be at least a little more feasible though still risky.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Shocks have been welded. I'd drop the top of the shock on a bucket of ice water, then not weld much more than a spot at a time. An exploding shock will really ruin your day.

Considering stock shocks on eBay go for about $20, I don't think welding is worth the risk.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shocks have been welded. I'd drop the top of the shock on a bucket of ice water, then not weld much more than a spot at a time. An exploding shock will really ruin your day.

Considering stock shocks on eBay go for about $20, I don't think welding is worth the risk.
I seem to be having trouble filtering through all the modifications refinements etc related to shocks on the TW in this forum. I'm no doubt shy a few brain cells.

Can you make it simple and tell me exactly what shock I should look for on e-bay for 20.00 that will pretty much bolt right in with out changing the ride height etc. Or if some one out there has an extra one pm me.

Much appreciate what you do here Qwerty.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Many of us here, are 'mature' folks. It seems as a result of our youth, and perhaps trying to raise a Family, we have lost a 'few' brain-cells in the process.

I would be inclined to suggest that you not risk your 'well-being' by trying to reinforce a marginal (quality) shock. Look on E-bay for a TW shock that has more 'meat' where yours does not. Better yet, read the rear shock thread that is a sticky and mod up to a much better rear suspension.

Let me tell you, life can kick your concept of "health and well-being" in the ass in an instant. No sense pissing it away fussing with a "marginal" shock.

I have went to a Banshee with the TW spring (after-market). MUCH better than stock and at least (on that project) I did not compromise my 'health'. Best of LUCK, Gerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts