TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second day of fun weekend riding. Cold ride to meet Scutler at Sasquach tavern for breakfast. We both enjoyed a bloody mary for breakfast and off we went....

Beginning of trail. Scutler reading trail map.

Just perfect weather! and some great views!

Some snow here and there but nothing we couldn't get thru even with Scutlers adventure type tires,

Cool looking rock formation. This is where Scutlers battery seemed to be dieing. no kick starter so he kept it running. Weird thing is that it seems to correct itself later... His bike is a 2013.

Can't remember the name of this lake....

close up of lake I can't remember....Scutler? you remember?

Really weird riding thru controlled burn area.

Steep trail following power lines. We decided to take another trail because of possible traction problems on Scutlers tires....

I this this nice creek was feeding into Boca reservoir

Boca reservoir where you can driver or ride right up too...

Waiting for train at crossing. Truckee river....

Really enjoyed riding with Scutler. His bike really out Horse powered mine on the pavement (and dirt). We rode from Verde to truckee. Had lunch at a place in truckee and watched a few minutes of niner football game. He took plenty of pics too so I'm sure he's be posting them soon. Would like to get a group of riders up here to ride this area again. Oh and was joking about the bloody marys....just had breakfast and coffee/water....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for posting Evan. Had a great time and there is so much to explore in this area. My tires didn't inspire much confidence. We stuck to mostly mild trails because of this. I miss my TW. The lake in the 6th, 7th, and 8th pictures is Stampede Reservoir. I will get some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's it...Stampede, boca and prosser......

·
Registered
601 Posts
Looks cool that! you guys are real lucky as the police in the UK hate off road bikes of anykind actually venturing off road. Discretion is key over here.

I cant wait for the snow to hit the UK!

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
So those were your TrailWay tracks I saw! Seriously you guys started right in my back yard, sorry I didn't know 'till recently of your ride or I would'a loved to join you. Lots of good riding in area, everything from touring like your ride to challenging single-track and gnarly jeep roads. On your way to Stampede and Boca Resivoirs you could detour to Verdi Peak and climb fire look-out tower for awesome 360 degree views. Nearby Sardine Peak has another abandoned fire look-out with similar views. Babbitt Peak also has fire look-out turned into B&B, wow what a romantic destination. In my lazy touring mood I would take in two lookouts and two or more lakes for a 40 to 60 mile round trip from Verdi. Fish a bit, ride a bit.....repeat as neccessary.
Now I usually prefer more challenging single tracks and jeep trails of the actual Bull Ranch Creek area ( a.k.a. Cow Creek, Bend in River,Hawk Ridge trail, Peavine,etc) located around Peavine Peak's flanks a few miles east of Verdi. I gotta figure out how to post some pics here to share beauty of area. Maybe one of you TWers who isn't as much as a Ludditte as me could come join me for fun ride and photo-document. Alot of aforementioned riding areas still accessable due to not much snow even now in January, just a little cold. Anyone can message me for info, better directions, possible meet-n-ride. Mild or wild, it's all fun on a Trailway.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
So those were your TrailWay tracks I saw! Seriously you guys started right in my back yard, sorry I didn't know 'till recently of your ride or I would'a loved to join you. Lots of good riding in area, everything from touring like your ride to challenging single-track and gnarly jeep roads. On your way to Stampede and Boca Resivoirs you could detour to Verdi Peak and climb fire look-out tower for awesome 360 degree views. Nearby Sardine Peak has another abandoned fire look-out with similar views. Babbitt Peak also has fire look-out turned into B&B, wow what a romantic destination. In my lazy touring mood I would take in two lookouts and two or more lakes for a 40 to 60 mile round trip from Verdi. Fish a bit, ride a bit.....repeat as neccessary.
Now I usually prefer more challenging single tracks and jeep trails of the actual Bull Ranch Creek area ( a.k.a. Cow Creek, Bend in River,Hawk Ridge trail, Peavine,etc) located around Peavine Peak's flanks a few miles east of Verdi. I gotta figure out how to post some pics here to share beauty of area. Maybe one of you TWers who isn't as much as a Ludditte as me could come join me for fun ride and photo-document. Alot of aforementioned riding areas still accessable due to not much snow even now in January, just a little cold. Anyone can message me for info, better directions, possible meet-n-ride. Mild or wild, it's all fun on a Trailway.
Hey Fred,

Sure sounds like you've got some great riding in your area. Maybe the NorCal group should plan a road trip and come and see you.

Brian

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Nearby Sardine Peak has another abandoned fire look-out with similar views. Babbitt Peak also has fire look-out turned into B&B, wow what a romantic destination. .
I love riding to old fire lookout's, some with only the foundation remaining. Great views and as you mention, very romantic, particularly at sunrise or sundown.

Over the years, my wife and I have stayed at a few forest service rental cabins. They also have rental lookouts as you mentioned, and we keep trying to rent one, but they are usually reserved during the time frame we could stay. If a person can rent a cabin/lookout, I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey Fred, my GF likes to play bingo with her friends in Sparks so I usually tag along and go riding while they play. I've ridden in your area 5 times in the past few years. First time at moonrocks which I really think is better suited for quads because of the sand (I fell twice...lol). Twice I've ridden hunter lake trail which has some pretty gnarly chunk rock to go thru (good engine shield suggested here), Louse town road which I was told is THE original wagon trail connecting reno/sparks to Virginia city (I really liked this trail and a lot more left to explore for me here). last I rode with Scott (scutler) at bull creek and we barely scratched the surface of riding area here. Scott had ridden here a few times but we still managed to get lost a few times... I'll be bugging you to ride next bingo blowout..... And Brian, I think either Bull creek or louse town road would make excellent rides for the Norcal gang!

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
I would love to meet and ride with some new TWBuddies in any of the many possible rides in area. Lots of variety I'ld enjoy sharing. I launch out of back yard at 5200 ft elevation and go up or down depending on weather and time of year. Now in late winter/spring Nevada's east slope of sierras is not too hot or snowy. Later summer moths opens up beautifull granitic scenery of high sierras. Anyone want to join me for Rubicon Trail ride this summer, or something not quite so challenging?Alpine lakes and meadows and mountain peaks, aspen groves. There is Rim Trail overlooking Lake Tahoe off of Spooner Grade between CarsonCity and Lake Tahoe. West of Tahoe several Adventure Race trails go for miles and miles like Teva Trail and Centenial Trail . And of cousre a bit to north is Sierra Buttes, incredible fire lookout tower at edge of thousand foot cliff overlooking Gold Lakes Basin with many gorgeous lakes with tasty trout and easy camping in heart of massive trail system.
Today since a little rain and snow is predicted I'm gonna try TWBrian's fender lift using springs on my local single track maze so I am no more a 5 miles from home and warm fireplace should heavens open up and pour. Brian could market his clever idea that allows lifted fender w/o loss of suspension travel as" Progressive Dampening Bump Stop Auxillary Springs", a real fancy name for three dollars worth of springs and bolts. Gotta fix darn computer so I can share some photos so you all dont think I'm just BS-ing here.
Moon Rocks is small and dramatic outcropping of gnarly rocks loved by low range Jeep rock crawlers surrounded by blander sand/sage. Rocks were just too dangerous for TWing so I tried faster sandy washes only to go down very hard when footpeg caught a boulder at speed. I limped for two months and have never been back. But Moon Rocks is on way from Reno to Pyramid Lake and is in area with lots of wild mustangs, might be loved by you folks who like a road trip.
Similarily Virginia City is good touring destination before it gets too hot. Lots of mining roads and history. Serious trail-riding there is a little rocky and exposed for me but nice in the pinion pine forests.
I could go on and on but instead I shall go ride!
Seriously would love to host any visitors. My place is 43 acres tucked up canyon on California/Nevada border with year round flowing creek right where sandy sage of high desert transitions to pine forests. Hot shower, cold beer and campsites available to anyone passing through.
I' m off now to put a few more miles on my Duro ATV tire I got from Trailscout. What a fantastic tire! Trailscout, what a fantastic guy! what a fantastic nickname! What a fantastic forum and group of members! HAPPY TRAILS to all.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
I am so sorry I haven't learned how to post photos, links, etc here yet, which means you kind folks will have use search enginets to find picts etc of areas discribed. Alot of hiking trails allow trail bikes in Sierras and it is a blast to run ridgelines mile after mile. Rare to see anyone in mid-week and those tend to smile and wave at TW as opposed to my youth on loud two-smokers where I always felt like an outlaw ruining other's tranquility. TW is good mx ambassador as it not so scarry for pack horses, mtn bikers, sierra clubers, mothers with kids etc we meet on trails.
Anyways anyone interested in a ride can respond here but also pleasepersonal message me so I don't miss your post.
Dang, still can't post pics from IPad, failed again. I am such a Luddite when it comes to tech. Had planned to learn use of this post this snowy winter but weather is so nice I am always on the bike. Promise pics eventually of actual Bull Ranch Area, my avatar pic is from halfway up many mile long singletrack ridge running hillclimb from Truckee River to summit of Peavine Peak. Search "Hawk Ridge Trail" for details, popular with mountain biker blogs. Those mtn bikers make the nicest winding trails and my Duro just smooths the trails out for them. Everyones happy. ......Happy Trails to You as Roy Rogers would say. He would also have probably said "Never met a TW-er I didn't like" .

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
should be fun! I'll let you know next time I'm riding in your area. I love riding single track.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Evan, you would be very welcome. Lets try to ride sometime. Would be nice to meet a fellow SingleTracker :icon_thumright:
Norcal gang welcome too, didn't mean to ignore TWBrians input before.:eagerness:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts