TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great site, lots of info.

I plan on buying a new TW200 in the next few weeks. Several years ago I had a 2005 XT225 that I loved, but I sold it to help fund other hobbies. I have always liked the TW200, but I have never ridden one before. As a former XT225 owner, what should I expect from a TW200? I'm not looking for speed, just a fun, inexpensive bike to ride around town and fire service roads on. I like the new XT250's, but something about those big tires on the TW200 make me drool.

Also, what is a fair price on a new TW200? I see new ones, 2009-2012, on the internet anywhere from $3300 to $4500.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I see the MSRP on a 2012 TW200 is $4,490.00 Likely the dealers will sell them for a bit less than that, though it willing depend a lot on the location. I have to think the 2013's will be in soon and if a dealer still has new 2012's the price could come don't a bit.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great site, lots of info.

Also, what is a fair price on a new TW200? I see new ones, 2009-2012, on the internet anywhere from $3300 to $4500.

The TW is exactly the same (except color) the past several years. The warranty is the same for new regardless of year.

I'd go with a new 2009. You should be able to pick one up for about $3000. I'd go up $200-$300 for each year newer.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Wish I could find a leftover '09 for $3000 around here. Local yamaha parts guy doesn't even know what a TW is.

Replacing the TW countershaft sprocket is a pain in the neck compared to other bikes. It would be wise to have an o-ring chain and put it on as soon as you get the bike home. That is the only crap part on a TW and not needing to replace a worn countershaft sprocket for 25,000 miles instead of every 3000-5000 miles is well worth the price of an o-ring chain.

·
Registered
701 Posts
^-- what he said.. you'll spend enough on oil and side cover gaskets to justify the o-ring chain pretty much instantly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wish I could find a leftover '09 for $3000 around here. Local yamaha parts guy doesn't even know what a TW is.

I guess I have been pretty fortunate here in Kansas City... I picked up my slightly used 2008 for just over $2000 & my wife's new (left-over) 2009 for $3000...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in Kalamazoo, MI. I watched Craigslist and this site for months because I really wanted a newer used one, but nothing materialized. I bought a 2012 at Paw Paw Cycle. I sat through the shpeel while the salesman kept crunching numbers, looking things up and making phone calls. Basically i was able to get him down from $5300 to the list price of $4490, which I hear is fairly typical. There aren't a lot of dealers around here and they sell them pretty quickly. Now, my bargaining skills are not the best, and i have no bike experience, so I'm sure i could have done $200 better or so, but i'm happy. Kind of like having a warranty, even if it is pretty limited. And one free oil change is nice, even though i know the cost for adusting the valves will be too high.

BTW, i paid tax on top of that. I find that "out the door" usually doesn't include state tax, although it did include license and registration fees.

dan

·
Registered
160 Posts
...what should I expect from a TW200? I'm not looking for speed, just a fun, inexpensive bike to ride around town and fire service roads on...

The TW is my first bike. I have read tons of posts where people get larger bikes, sell the TW, then years later come back to the TW because they miss it. I would say except great fun!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The TW is my first bike. I have read tons of posts where people get larger bikes, sell the TW, then years later come back to the TW because they miss it. I would say except great fun!

You're pretty close to the mark there, I took my motorcycle training on a TW over 20 years ago but never owned one. I peaked in displacement and power back in 06 and have downsized twice since then, ending up with a TW
I guess my next move will be a Thistle tricycle with tassels on the handlebars

1 - 9 of 9 Posts