TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang! long time TW fan. About 6 or so years ago I was trying to buy a craigslist special but no luck and ended up with an 89 XT350 (which I thought was a xt250 at the time!)
Fast forward, 2 nighthawks, 1 vstrom and 1 maxim later, I ran across an add for a non runnin 87 TW.
It needs a new bottom end, which is included in the sale, and it also needs a top end rebuild.

There are a bunch of parts included to make it a running bike as well. Tires are new, new carb, accesories etc.
He is asking $1000. Good price? For comparison, there is a ready to go 89 several hours from me for $2000.

I think it is a bit high at $1000.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome, xtmag. You're going to find lots of great advice here.

First - How many miles does this '87 have? If the miles are high, there are probably other things that will need fixing, besides what you mentioned. If the bottom and top end need rebuilding, I'm guessing it was rode hard and put away wet.
Also, how much is your time worth to you? If rebuilding bikes is your thing and you have time to spare, it might be worthwhile. For me, I'd pass on this one. It could end up taking you forever to get it dialed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not afraid of the rebuild, but if it was $500, which seems reasonable to me, I would be on my way.
Mileage is 4033.

·
Registered
236 Posts
$500 is certainly much more appealing. Only you can know what your time is worth.
If you decide to do it, be committed to a serious project, because that's what you're buying. There could be problems with the ignition and carb that can keep you guessing for a long time. Also, take a good look at the swingarm - these are prone to rust. Also look at the fork seals and make sure there are no leaks.
Has the bike been stored inside? If so, it may be a good bike for you. If not, count on electrical and rust problems that you'll need to deal with.

·
Registered
236 Posts
...there's SOOO much to be said for buying a running bike. You can actually have a pretty good idea of its shortcomings as you inspect it. A bike that is not running is only a can of worms, or a mystery grab bag. The bag could be full of value, or just ordinary poop.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
If you could get the '87 for 200 bucks, take it - then buy the '89 - one to ride, one for spares (you can guess which will be which) ......

·
Registered
713 Posts
I would take a full parts bike all day long for $500. If anyone has one local or delivery, ping me. :grin: But yeah, if you have to choose, take the 89. it's a running bike you can ride. Plus you can always make a lower offer on the 89 as well. If you can afford both, go for it. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let us know what you end up with, or not.

Agreed, at $500 the 87 "might" be a consideration, but projects are just that "projects". I'd see how clean the 89 is and take a drive, or keep looking. 2k should get you a really decent TW, but you'll have to be persistent and willing to travel.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I agree - you can’t shake down a non running bike to even get an estimate of what it needs. Throw in the fact that it’s an 87 with one-off electrics and it could get expensive in a hurry. If it comes with a title that helps a bit.

Plus the 89 black widows are freakin cool lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts