TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. The battery charger says I have a fully charged battery. The bike is 2013 with original battery. When I turn the key on, I get full headlights. Everything seems normal. Press the starter. Maybe one or two cranks. Then just a loud buzzing sound. When inspecting the terminals, I find just a small amount of corrosion on one terminal. Very minute. The buzzing seems to be coming from the right side of the bike, just forward of the battery. Any ideas? I'm pointing to the area that's buzzing in the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I pulled the plastic on the right side of the bike. Checked the two 20amp fuses. They were fine. Inspected the plug between them. It's fine.
Gonna pull the battery and take it to be tested.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I pulled the plastic on the right side of the bike. Checked the two 20amp fuses. They were fine. Inspected the plug between them. It's fine.
Gonna pull the battery and take it to be tested.
What is battery voltage, key off?
What is battery voltage, key on?
What is battery voltage while trying to crank?
What is condition of both ends of both battery cables?

For more info, see the beginning of post one of this thread:
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1986193&page=6

(after the beginning, it is primarily H-D Sportster specific)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have never been able to get my Tw batteries to last 4 Years, Im betting your batterie is bad.
Probably best not to let it buzz to much, might ruin the starter. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sounds like your starter relay is on the blink .....
May be, depends on available battery voltage:

When the starter button is pressed (key on, off/run switch in run mode), voltage is sent to the relay, then to the coil of the starter solenoid. If the system voltage is normal, the starter engages.

If the system voltage is low, due to low battery or faulty battery cables (the frame/motor end of the negative cable is a common issue), then the voltage may be sufficient to close the relay or solenoid coil, but when it closes the high amperage contacts from the battery to the starter, the low voltage has a compound effect:

1. Lower voltage is a challenge to the starter turning over the motor and

2. Lower voltage results in a higher amp draw for the motor to try to pull the same wattage.

In a low voltage condition, once the starter tries to draw enough amps to turn over the motor, the voltage drop is so excessive that the coil cannot remain energized and it opens the high amperage contacts to the starter. If the starter button is held, the voltage recovers (after the coil drops out) enough for the coil to again close and the cycle repeats until the voltage drop will not allow the coil to close. This is solenoid chattering.

If the voltage is very low, there is only one click and there is not enough voltage for the coil to again energize.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts

In a low voltage condition, once the starter tries to draw enough amps to turn over the motor, the voltage drop is so excessive that the coil cannot remain energized and it opens the high amperage contacts to the starter. If the starter button is held, the voltage recovers (after the coil drops out) enough for the coil to again close and the cycle repeats until the voltage drop will not allow the coil to close. This is solenoid chattering.
For 50 years, I have always wondered just what exactly caused that! Now I know. :) Thanks Doc!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts