TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find my last thread re these BVC conversions so I am starting a new one re the Honda CRF300l which I wanted to do a fat tire conversion on but in reading about the CRF450l I discover it's actually a bit lighter than the CRFG300l not even sure how thats possible unless it has a whole lot more unobtanium metal parts lol

I know the CRF450l (and now the CRF450RL) are a huge price jump over the 300 class

BVC had a converted 450 on their website and now I wish I would have bought it but I assumed it would be too heavy for my uses (TW style riding) heres a pic it was $11k but the conversions a multi thousands and the CRF450's are $10k and up so turn key for $11k was more than fair
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

just curious if any forum fellows / Gals have any experience with the CRF450l and it's required maintenance schedule

as a reminder I'm thinking I'd prefer an 18" spoked front wheel like we run on TW"s so I can keep narrow forks I just don't love the steering with ATV tires up front

· Registered
181 Posts
I didn't even know these were a thing until I saw your thread...now I want one LOL!

As far as a 450's Maintenance requirements go, I have owned a TRX450R (Quad) since it was brand-new in '06. The Quads use a similar engine to the dirt bikes (as I understand it most of the internals are slightly different but the power and maintence requirements are basically the same). Mine is a trail-ridden Quad (but our monthly trail rides are 80-100 miles in a day once a month or so in the winter time). I ride it harder then anything else I own (it demands it; doesn't like the soft touch).

All that said, over the past 16 years and 165 Hours all I've done to it are regular (once or twice a season) oil and filter changes, regular air filter servicing (every-other ride or so). It gets treated to valve adjustments at the local Honda dealer every-other year (because they're shim-type and I'm not a fan of adjusting those myself). It's had it's Spark Plug changed once at around 100 hours, only because it was getting old and I didn't want to have problems. It does currently need a top-end rebuild (or at least a valve job) because one of the exhaust valves isn't staying in adjustment but that doesn't upset me as when I bought it everyone told me it would be a maintence whore and would likely need an engine rebuild by 100 hours. Even now it still runs and rides fine, but I'd rather go through the top-end a little earlier then later plus all of our rides are long and not normally in places where breaking-down (or recovering a broken Quad) would be practical or easy.

Sorry, long-winded reply to say don't let the maintence requirements scare you off. They seem to be a solid engine with regular maintence can go for a very long time.

· Registered
181 Posts
Great to hear I was just hoping it wasn’t like a KTM re maintenance although for the amount I ride I have time for maintenance
I know what you mean; two of my riding partners have KTM's and they do require a fair amount of maintence. In my experience the Honda is not as needy.

· Registered
2,228 Posts
The new 450L has a higher maintenance standard the the 300
It is very similar to the KTMs. High Performance which require high maintenance.
There are also some know issues out of the box concerning the ECU. My buddy bought one last year and has done some upgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snapper33
1 - 5 of 5 Posts