TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I’m new to the forum. I bought my first TW a few weeks ago in Massachusetts. It’s a 2020
C582FBA5-C4D4-43F1-839D-05E3532538E6.jpeg
C582FBA5-C4D4-43F1-839D-05E3532538E6.jpeg
BFFDF49C-CDAC-4984-8661-1BF1C712B6C1.jpeg
CA model. The dealer said sometimes Yamaha just ships a CA model instead of a 49 state model.
I have seen a few threads about the emissions canister removal but I have a few questions.
Do I need to change my gas cap to a 49 state model? I read somewhere that the CA gas cap is not vented because the venting goes through the canister.
Also, I pulled off the tank today to wire my GPS in and there is another hose with a plug in it along the left side of the frame under the gas tank to the intake manifold. Here are two photos from each end. Is that also part of the emissions system? Can I remove it? Do I plug it at the manifold or do I need to buy a new 49 state manifold rubber?

·
Registered
361 Posts
That tube from the manifold boot is on every 2001+ TW. It has nothing to do with California emissions. I don't see any pictures of the Cali canister. Sure it's a Cali model?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Hi Marty,

Congrats on the new TW and welcome to the form!

The hose with the plug is not part of the emissions system, so that should be left as is. I removed my canister and my bike ran fine with the stock gas cap. I have heard that the CA bikes have a different gas cap, but I can't confirm that that is the case. My guess is that you will be fine, but in case your bike starts exhibiting some symptoms like stumbling or stalling, just try cracking open the gas cap to see if that resolves the issue.

Brian

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
why do you want to take the canister off of a brand new bike? it shouldn't affect the bike at all if you don't overfill the gas tank

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think it's totally understandable on a simple bike like this one to want to get to know how it works and runs, if mine came with a Cali can... I'd probably take it off too.

It's all rider preference.

It's like any part on a bike... I don't ever ride 2-Up... why not get rid of my passenger foot pegs?

·
Registered
915 Posts
The Cali can is pretty ugly. I removed mine. I plugged the hose with a bolt. No problems running a full tank of gas without removing the cap either. The theory is, when the gas tank is shaken or heated and the gas vaporizes and expands, it goes out that hose and through the charcoal activated can before venting to the atmosphere. Sure. That'll save the planet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The charcoal canister is such an innocuous thing that I'd be inclined to keep it even though it might save the planet. But when I went to California to pick up my VanVan, the thing had this ginormous plastic box jutting out on the left side, back by the rear blinker. I was worried that it might get snagged on opposing traffic.

Why can't they hide the rascal as well as they hide the tool kit?

Correction... The half of a tool kit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,478 Posts
The exposed nipple in post #4's photo should be plumbed to the tank vent located on underside of stock California TW gas tanks. The little surge tower fitting in post #1 should be left intact.
Charcoal canisters are often removed to free up real estate to mount oil cooler. Kits vended formerly here rely on this location for the typical pit bike heat exchanger.
My vent hose from the tank is simply tucked up out of way so that the open-to-atmosphere end is not visible to the regulatory nor curious individuals out there.
When an overfilled gas tank created a liquid fuel saturated canister carbon bed the resultant off-road vibration seemingly reduced the granular carbon to mush...at least it became clogged such that expanding fuel vapors could not pass and thus exited via the gas cap key hole. The exiting vapors from the cap were the clue that something was amiss...I tried unsuccessfully to blow canister lines clear with an air compressor but could not fix so removed it.
So I guess the lock on the cap is not 100% pressure resistant.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I thought I would read about the canister removal but I can’t look away from the poor welds on the frame. After 40 years of stamping these things out you would think someone could adjust/ run the welder.
This Weld burned through so they just laid a cold bead on top of the hole, classy repair. Then it seems they turned down the heat and went onto the brackets and mounts.
Too hot, too cold, undercut and patched all in one spot, I need to go check my frame for cracks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts