TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a new to me 2001 tw200 that I do not know history for. First time really riding it, it was cutting out when giving gas and wanting today. After I got home, pulled tank to and noticed a disconnected hose from canister. It appears it should go to carb, but I cannot find a hookup. Could this be a problem or cause?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Follow the hose to see where it goes. Check for vacuum leaks on the two rubber boots before and after the carb.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That hose I’m holding goes to smog canister.
Carborator boot has a hose connected that is capped.

here are more pics:

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
The charcoal canister on California models has a single discharge to atmosphere and two inlets...one vents the tank and the other goes to what is identifies as "AIR VENT".
carb vent.jpg

Zmoney's first photo is a little hard to discern which of the those two hoses is being grasped but I'm guessing it is the float bowl vent and goes to "AIR VENT".
However the second photo is unrelated to venting, other end leads to intake manifold. Supposedly acts like a bit of surge tower dampening minor pressure pulses in the intact tract from that darn intake valve opening and closing all the time. Modify at your own risk. Yamaha made that elaborate aluminum turning for a reason. Unlike Honda they don't often make impressive elegant stuff just for the pride of offering impressive elegant stuff. :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That hose I was holding went to canister but is not currently connected to air vent. Currently there is another hose connected to air vent that routes down through swing arm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The tube outlet on the carb should have been capped off and not had a hose run down the frame.

You can put a cap on the end coming out of the carb if you do not need or wish to have the canister hooked up. You can also put a plug on the tube under the tank if you want to remove the canister altogether.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In looking at various online photos, it seems as the California tdub has 2 carb air vents as in the picture below?

My bike doesn’t have the vent circled in yellow, just the one circled in red. Can I still use the smog canisters on my bike? If I can, where would the hose connect too?

·
Registered
159 Posts
The photo you posted with the tube circled in yellow is an early carb, 2000 and older. It has a different configuration. The older carbs have 3 outlets plus the bottom drain. Yours is simple. You can easily hookup your canister and use it. Just run the black hose that is on the carb to the capped off hose from the canister. Then run a hose from the bottom of the bowl the that fitting down by the swing arm. Make sure the other hose on the canister is hook to the tube outlet on the fuel tank. The canister has markings telling where the hoses go. One to tank and he other to the carb.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The photo you posted with the tube circled in yellow is an early carb, 2000 and older. It has a different configuration. The older carbs have 3 outlets plus the bottom drain. Yours is simple. You can easily hookup your canister and use it. Just run the black hose that is on the carb to the capped off hose from the canister. Then run a hose from the bottom of the bowl the that fitting down by the swing arm. Make sure the other hose on the canister is hook to the tube outlet on the fuel tank. The canister has markings telling where he hoses go. One to tank and he other to the carb.
Thanks. So currently, there is a hose from the bottom of the bowl, just dangling down.

the part circled in red was hooked up to this part, and not to the canister. The canister was just unhooked and not plugged.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Show us some good pictures of your carb. Maybe the PO replaced it with a clone and that would explain why you have no open ports and tubes that go to nowhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, if not an original carb, does anyone have suggestions on hooking up smog canister?

This is what mine looks like:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess not. I was just attributing these things to why throttle was cutting out recently after riding it while.

would the canister not being connected to carb vent and not being plugged cause it? Would tank not be venting properly?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts