TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm looking for the emissions sticker on my 2005 but can't find one anywhere! Not sure if an Oregon bike would have one or not. Exactly where should I be looking? Do I need to remove something?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The California emissions sticker will be on the inside of the side cover. I don't remember which side. If your bike doesn't have the emissions canister, your won't have the sticker.
Mel

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The Calif. emissions diagram is on the inside face of the air cleaner cover (left side). Gerry

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Hi Major,

Welcome to the forum!

If your bike has more than 7,500 miles, there should be no problem registering it in California. If it has less than 7,500 miles, the State of California considers it to be a new vehicle and if would need to meet California emissions. Do you know if it is a California bike or a 49 state bike?

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same question different year. I’m in the process of buying a 2014 TW from Nevada with less than 7500 mi. I’m almost positive it is a California model because it has the canister. Also, the present owner told me the dealer specifically told him it was a California model. The dealer is in Reno, Nv and sells regularly to California residents. The guy I’m buying it from even offered to take it back if it won’t register in California. So it all sounds good but I can’t find the sticker. the left side cover has a small diagram of where the emission hoses go but not an actual statement saying “California compliant” like I saw on the other thread.

Can someone with a 2014 California model please do me a favor and see if there is a sticker there? Seems incredulous they would put something that important on a piece of plastic that regularly falls or breaks off.

Thanks.

Hoping to become part of the tw family.

Edit. I found the sticker. It is on the left swing arm.

Second edit: I read on some motorcycle forums the dmv can identify California legal bikes just based on the vin number. That may be true but in my case the dmv person came out to look at the bikes actual California sticker.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Many Nevada TW's are indeed CA legal especially the northern Nevada Reno area as they are closely tied to the Cali MotherLode territory because I'm sure Cali folks are a big part of their business

I think TWBrian said a bike has to have at least 7500 miles AND have the CA emissions decal to be imported to CA

I'm not sure if it's VIN differentiated as well

I'm surprised more people don't just license in AZ they don't verify any address because they don't mail anything they hand you the title and reg at the DMV and it's way cheaper than Cali

One possible catch is AZ requires an AZ based insurance policy but I was able to add that to my WA policies very easily

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Many Nevada TW's are indeed CA legal especially the northern Nevada Reno area as they are closely tied to the Cali MotherLode territory because I'm sure Cali folks are a big part of their business

I think TWBrian said a bike has to have at least 7500 miles AND have the CA emissions decal to be imported to CA
That is not quite what I said, so to further clarify things:

-A 49 state bike must have at least 7,500 miles on it for California to consider it a used bike and therefore able to be registered in California.

-A 49 state bike with less than 7,500 miles is considered by California to be a new bike and therefore will not allow it to be registered in California.

-If the bike has the California emissions sticker, it can be registered in California.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went thru this CA nightmare with a XT225 sold in CA originally and was a CA bike with canister. The DMV only wanted the side panel with the CA emission sticker on it; then they registered it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts