TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally purchased a 1995 (so the title says, I'm thinking late 94) TW200FC. With 2000 miles for $700 I couldn't pass it up. This is a California TW so it is equiped with the "emission canister." Would help or hurt anything if I ripped it off? The bike runs pretty lean and hot, and pops while rolling off the throttle, so there will be some carb work in the near future. With that said does anyone out there know what the stock main jet size is for my bike?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Cali bikes are jetted RICHER than 49-state bikes.

The canister is inert and has no effect on performance. But if you want to remove it you can do so by re-routing the line beneath the tank directly into the carb fitting.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Cali main should be a 116.

I'd verify that before proceding. A 116 could be slightly lean for your elevation, but I doubt it would be as lean as you describe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing away with the canister,and for some reason the tank is a normal Tw tank without the rollover valve. Do the only thing it was connected to was the carb.....Well I've gotten into the carb, and the main jet is a #114. So now im in the market for a carb gasket set and a bigger jet. Suggestions?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Make sure the cap is a vented, non'Cali cap. If you have an unvented Cali cap on a non-Cali tank it could possibly be the cause of a starvation condition.

Sounds like you have a few mixed and matched components. The Cali carb can be Identified by the presence of a third float bowl vent, left side, centered above the middle of the float bowl.

If it's there you'll need to cap it or (better) run a vent line up to the frame beneath the tank. If it's not there you have a 49-state carb, which would also explain the 114.

·
Registered
428 Posts
my bike is a cali model and i live in ct.i ended up replacing it with a standard TK carb i got from bikebandit.com i did this so i could jet the carb and put on a aftermarket exhaust. was not suggested by service dept at local dealership to put a #132 main jet in a cali model carb. i tried it anyways just to se what would happen and the bike just stunk like gas all the time.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Apples and oranges. We're talking about the earlier slide carb. Yours has the later CV carb.

Why on earth did you buy a new carb? Just curious.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
132 is too rich for anywhere except very hot sea level riding, say, in Australia or Death Valley in July.

The early carb will be happier with a 116 or 118 main, depending on where you are in Texas. Most folks don't realize that Texas has some 5000+ft highways which would lean towards 116. If you are closer to the coast try a 118.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great insight! It is a Cali Carb with the third float bowl vent so I'll use the same tube that ran from the vent to the canister, execpt I won't connect it to that useless canister. My gas tank does have the "california only" sticker on the cap, but there is no vent/rollover valve on or under the tank so this might be contributing the the running lean issue... the bike is a bit mis matched, and from the papers that came with the bike it was bought new from a dealer here in TX....kinda funny...

I'm almost 20 min. from the coast and believe it or not I actually bought it in the parking lot of a condo on the beach front so im about as close to sea level as you can get! With that said I think a 118 might work well.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Apples and oranges. We're talking about the earlier slide carb. Yours has the later CV carb.

Why on earth did you buy a new carb? Just curious.

i bought a new carb cause my nephew in cali needed a new carb for his TW.after selling him what was on my bike i really did not have to put in much of my own money for a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts