TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
What in tarnation is "the sprocket chain crankshaft"?

·
Registered
614 Posts
What in tarnation is "the sprocket chain crankshaft"?

Give the man a break,His English is better than most of our French.

It's the cam chain sprocket on the crank shaft.

Christddel could teach most of us a few mechanical skills I,m sure.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Bite me, uktw125. I can't help him if I don't know what he is talking about.

. o 0 O (Freakin' Brits always got their panties in a wad.)

I don't think the cam chain sprocket is intended to be servicable separate from the crank half. The sprocket is not available separately. It is sold only as part of the crankshaft assembly, or as part of the crank half sub-assembly.

Perhaps a jaw puller would work. http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1R2ACEW_enUS359&q=jaw+puller&aq=f&oq= Maybe a hydraulic press. http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1R2ACEW_enUS359&q=jaw+puller&aq=f&oq=#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1R2ACEW_enUS359&q=hydraulic+press&aq=0&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=hydraulic+press&pbx=1&fp=cd4bd38bf506aaa7

It may help if the large end of the crank half was frozen in a pan of water and the sprocket itself heated, though I can't see a press fit working for this application. There would have to be splines, a keyway and key, or locating pins to prevent spinning on the crank.

·
Registered
522 Posts
. o 0 O (Freakin' Brits always got their panties in a wad.)

LOL... I've learned more English on this forum than in ten years of being a translator

keep the idioms and slang coming please!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Qwerty, if you clicked on the link you would see that Christddel was not exactly asking a question but showing others how to do it if they were to ask this question.

I must confess I was a little confused until I clicked the link.

Also you have to remove that sprocket to replace the main bearing behind it. Whether thats a recommended method by Yamaha I don't know but if you need to replace main bearings it's a lot cheaper than buying a new crank assembly.

I didn't get my "knickers in a twist" I just thought that was a bit cruel considering someone was trying to explain a fairly complex technical term in a foriegn language.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Getting that bloody bastard off of there is one thing , but getting it back on in just the right place would drive me to buggers.. I bought a brand new XT225 shaft and was nervous as a dog s#!%%ing peach stones until it all went back together proprerly.. I'm sure it can be done .

TiZBaD

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Link? What link?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the link. For some reason when someone posts a hyperlink using bold text it loses the underline on my computer and doesn't look like a link. Nice homemade tool, christddel. What did Yamaha use to index the sprocket to the crank?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
How does the speocket index to the crank? What keeps the sprocket from spinning on the crank?

·
Registered
614 Posts
How does the speocket index to the crank? What keeps the sprocket from spinning on the crank?
Line the spot on the sprocket (or the center point of any tooth) with the center of the woodruff keyway and press it on with a hydraulic press.

It's the same method as most small Honda engines and their sprockets are available as a separate item.

I have done this several times and the sprocket has never moved.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Too bad Yamaha doesn't sell the sprocket separately here. Tdub has about 70,000 hard kilometers under her tires and I would like to install a new cam sprocket when the crank is stroked.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Too bad Yamaha doesn't sell the sprocket separately here. Tdub has about 70,000 hard kilometers under her tires and I would like to install a new cam sprocket when the crank is stroked.

I will have a look through my spares and if I have a spare one from a low mileage redundant 125cc crank I will send it to you. No charge,I don't think the post would be much for such a small item.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I'll swap you a TW t-shirt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts