TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need some advice. I'm replacing the base gasket on my '05, and I'm stuck at removing the cam sprocket. This thing is seriously locked up - no rust or anything catastrophic like that, it just won't come loose. Is it a standard right-hand thread? Would just like to be sure I'm doing the right thing before I start really cranking on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Right hand thread. Tap it a few times with a hammer. That might pop the friction lock.

Or if you can get help, tap with hammer while applying torque with the wrench.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right hand thread. Tap it a few times with a hammer. That might pop the friction lock.

Or if you can get help, tap with hammer while applying torque with the wrench.

Ok, thanks!

I skipped the timing chain a couple teeth already on the crankshaft sprocket. I reinstalled the tensioner (why do the directions say to remove that first?) I'll have to check the crankshaft sprocket to see if I damaged any teeth. (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've hit the bolt with over 70 ft-lbs of torque, and it's not budging. Am I missing something? Is there some kind of locking device? If I just need more torque, then 1) I'm worried about damaging the timing chain, and 2) I'll need to come up with some way to hold the bike down!! I'm almost enough torque to lift up the rear wheel...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Be prepared to replace the bolt when you finally get it out. When I removed and replaced mine, the bolt started to fail as it was being reinstalled, and if I had not felt it "getting weird" at a low torque, it would have REALLY sucked to get out when it broke off. These things must be torqued almost to yield point when installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be prepared to replace the bolt when you finally get it out. When I removed and replaced mine, the bolt started to fail as it was being reinstalled, and if I had not felt it "getting weird" at a low torque, it would have REALLY sucked to get out when it broke off. These things must be torqued almost to yield point when installed.

The hand impact tool did the job. I'll put that on my list...

As for torqueing this bolt to the point on yield, I thought it was supposed to have 42 ft-lbs! That is no where near yield, if it were I would have sheared it easily trying to remove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts