TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've finally committed to attending our first Horizons Unlimited meet which will be held at Cambria, California at the end of October.

For those of you not familiar with HU, it's a worldwide organization which is devoted primarily to furthering the cause of long distance, around-the-world and expediton-style motorcycle travel and there will be a lot of folks present who've "been there and broke that" in some of the more remote parts of the world. These are annual events held on various dates on nearly every continent.

Roughly 3 solid days of lectures and demonstrations on a variety of topics from wrenching to riding to tire changing to cooking and for me an opportunity to rub elbows with some of my more significant motorsickle heroes such as Craig Vetter, famous authors and travellers who started back when the world was a very different place such as Ted Simon (Neptune's Travels. The 70's trip that got a lot of us off the ground) and others.

Should be something for everyone if yer into it, Thought it might be of interest to at least a few of yoose NorCal losers.

Last one to Nitwit Ridge buys breakfast! Er sumpin'. Hoping to finally hook up with Mel, who by now is probably getting awfully lonesome as the Only TW Owner On The Central Coast.:p Even if you can't attend the event maybe a few of us can gather up and squeak in a day ride?

Purple and I will be there with our freshly updated ( I hope) TW's and Grant (the founder of HU) has assured me that there is always a sizable contingent of XT/Serow and small bike devotees with world travel cred present. Maybe I'll get the opportunity to send one of our oil coolers around the world with one of them as a side giggle.

HU Travellers Meeting California 2013 | Horizons Unlimited

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Lizrdbrth,
I would certainly be disappointed if we got a group of motorcyclists together, especially TW riders, that close to San Luis Obispo, and not have a get-to-gather. Breakfast, evening meal, or something. I would also be available for anyone with some kind of mechanical help, (I have every tool know to man), including portable air compress, trailer, what ever it might be. Just keep me informed. Maybe those who might be attending could respond to this post. Lets stay in touch. I would have no problem putting together a day ride.
Mel

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The list of presenters is growing.

Anyone else going?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i wish it wasn't this month... i'm out of weekend excursion waivers!
sounds like a great venue and chance to meet a few more fellow t-dubbers. post pics.

mel, i'm still down for a ride in your area, though maybe not until spring.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We came. We saw. We WILL be back. Truly a unique experience.

These two weird little bikes proudly assume their take their rightful place amongst the 251 or so assembled adventure bikes in attendence. To a man (woman) everyone at this event is on the same page: Share what you've learned, learn what you haven't. Probably 75% of the bikes present were of the large displacement, high priced variety but nary a trace of elitism here:

We thought we'd squeeze in a ride or two over the four days, but once the bikes were unloaded and the tent set up they never moved from this spot in the entire time. Too danged much info and good food to be absorbed. The ocean views and the distant sound of sea lions lulling you to sleep of an evening kinda sucked though......:D:

The one and only Ted Simon, celebrating the 40th anniversary of Jupiter's Travels. Now 82-ish, This man's RTW trip and subsequent books have probably sparked the imagination and lit the initial fire in the belly of more motorcyclists of mine and subsequent generations than any other:

Shared a meal and interesting conversation with Mike Hannon, of Mike and Jo Hannon, and author of "The Elephant's Tale" recounting the husband and wife teams' worldwide adventures on their Beemer "the Elephant":

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/team-elephant/3/1382474608/tpod.html

The backside of said Elephant:

I'm kinda pizzed about this washed out Bunny Teeth pic with Cliff Danger, one of my favorite people, but it will have to do. Owner of Lucy, his 125cc Russian Minsk/mobile good will center and founder of The Bunny Teeth Movement. You can read more about The Bunny Teeth Movement and Cliff and Lucy's travels through southeast Asia and elsewhere here:

http://www.cliffdanger.com/

This here is Grant Johnson. He and his wife, Susan are RTW motorcyclists and also the founders of Horizons Unlimited, so this is their show. Grant gives a 2 hour tire changing demo. If you think you know all there is to know about the subject Grant will prove you wrong. By the time his demo is over you'll know more than you ever thought possible not only about your tires themselves but such things as how to determine correct pressures for a severely overloaded bike even when stuck in deepest Africa with a completely inaccurate tire gauge, etc.

Purple bumping elbows with some of the "Who's Who" of females in the solo adventure travel world. This was a women's seminar dealing with some of the more specific issues faced by female overlanders including such topics as safety and security, hygeine, etc.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
very cool lizrd.
thank you for the write up on what must have been a very interesting and educational event.

does it happen every year?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Cambria event is annual but there is talk of moving it to Mariposa, California next year as it may have outgrown the Cambria facility. Others occur at various times throughout the year not only in the in the U.S. but worldwide.

One Ural owner's sentiments. I got his blessing to borrow them for our own plates. The mini-teardrop in the foreground was a nice piece of work:

The DRZ400 of Nicole Espinosa, RTW'r in training.
ruggedrider.com

And Nicole her bad self:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Excellent write up and great pictures, THANKS!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Purple and Bentley, the biker dawg. bentleysbigadventure.com

Bentley and his humans:

Jeffrey Polnaja. http://rideforpeace.net/category/gallery/photo/ .Incredible man. So affected by the images of 9/11 that he decided to hit the road. Quite a read. Click on a country. Enjoy. He passed us on our way home, headed for Mexico and the South American leg of his journey.

20 bucks, 6 Barry Manilow albums and a slice of the finest zucchini bread you've ever tasted to anyone who can correctly identify this fabulous and famous individual whom we also encountered on our way south. Yet another highlight of this trip:

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were a handful of vendors there, including the folks from Giant Loop with the latest and greatest versions of their stuff. This was a great opportunity to just roll your bike up to their booth, fondle the merchandise and check the fit in person, on your own bike. Still a bit rich for my blood when buying times 2, but now that I've examined them I gotta get some.

Tightwad that I am I'd have never done it but it was Purple's birthday and a queen deserves a throne, so she bought us both a present. These are Helinox camp chairs. They weigh just a bit over a pound and a half and are about a foot long when broken down. A bit spendy, but so compact and light weight weight when stored they're a justifiable indulgence. Pretty danged comfy, too:

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Purple and Bentley, the biker dawg. bentleysbigadventure.com

Bentley and his humans:

Jeffrey Polnaja. Photo | - One Man ? One Bike ? One Planet? Ride till the Edge of the World - .Incredible man. So affected by the images of 9/11 that he decided to hit the road. Quite a read. Click on a country. Enjoy. He passed us on our way home, headed for Mexico and the South American leg of his journey.

20 bucks, 6 Barry Manilow albums and a slice of the finest zucchini bread you've ever tasted to anyone who can correctly identify this fabulous and famous individual whom we also encountered on our way south. Yet another highlight of this trip:

Is that Mel?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is indeed our man Mel. After meeting him we wished we had set a couple of days aside to hang with him rather than just an afternoon. Stay tuned. We plan to remedy that soon. And yer all invited.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Yeaaaahh!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

;)

I think Mels a good guy, I always look forward to his posts and he lives in a great area that I used to pass through from time to time on my bikes. Have a great day Mel!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Hey Lizrdbrth, small world. In the below link, a local advrider (PapaYolk), who I don't know personally but ridden by his house, met Cliff on one of his rides. Kinda cool seeing the connection.

Post #24 of PapaYolk show's "Lucy".

The Blues - Page 2 - ADVrider

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
He mentions his encounter with your neighbor on his own blog here:

http://www.cliffdanger.com/starting-the-journey-for-the-second-time
/

Cliff is a cool dude and an amazing photographer, as well. For that to shine through you'd need to see his presentation in person rather than just perusing his site. He sees himself as the Charlie Brown to his Lucy, if that helps round out the package.

He's having a devil of a time keeping that Minsk motor alive over here but the bike itself has become quite famous and is kind of his gimmick. We discussed potential, slightly more reliable transplant options that might fit into the Minsk frame yet wouldn't affect the overall flavor of his mode of transport and when we left him he was headed north to a friend's shop where they were gunna look into swapping in either a TS185 or a more available Yamaha DT motor for cruising the U.S. Cliff figgers there probably aren't more than 5 Minsks of this vintage in the entire U.S. and he may be right. So sometimes the bike itself is a real ice breaker, and breaking the ice is what he and the Bunny Teeth Movement are all about.

Once yer wearing bunny teeth all pretense is wasted. Lol. He's gotcha. Click!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
i got stranded by a minsk in vietnam... good thing my riding partner had a tow rope. 30 miles dragged to town, only to be berated by the rental guy. should've left it for him on the side of the road.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reach of this forum was notable. Considering that we were hands down in the bottom four for displacement (Lucy was least, then our two bikes, one XT225, a couple of token DRZ400's, then about 200 big Beemers and those Tempermental Orange Things. Lol) I was surprised to find that even in this crowd more than a few times we heard (or overheard) a number of people say things like "hey, isn't that the TW that did the Iron Butt?" or "I've seen that purple bike on the internet. I never would have sold mine if I'd read about their rides" or "We saw them in New Mexico a couple of years ago. They go everywhere on those things" "I want one/had one/wish I had it back now/bought one for the wife to learn on, didn't take it seriously til now" etc. etc.

Little stuff is gaining cred.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What a great event. How often does this occur? I'm thinking about getting a TW and my buddy has a Triumph Tiger. Would be a great reason to meet up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts