TW200 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Not a TW but this shows how little one can get by with: Boarder255 a few weeks ago shows a minimalist loadout on a three day camp-n-ride using a Giant Loop carrier since his WR250 has no rack. Some of his provisions had been consumed and I had his trash, fed him some and supplied cold beer but he could have been self suffiecient without me.

The Giant Loop is basically a waterproof U shaped frameless bag. An aftermarket heat shield provides stand-off away from muffler, numerous straps secure envelope to bike frame. Additional gear may be straped to exterior. Hammock with backpack grade accesories makes his gear a fraction of mine.
Compact enough to go single tracking with me on his way home.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not my TW but a trip I just returned from. Pulled over in a car wash to escape the rain somewhere in Ohio. Clothes and photo equipment in the side panniers and tent, sleeping bag etc in the dry bag on back.

IMG_1362.JPG

Happy to see we got the photo posting problem resolved!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did my first overnight on the TW last night. Worked out well but I grabbed a sandwich on the way up the mountains and just brought other snacks with me. In the future I need to fit in cooking equipment, a bit more food, and a couple of pieces of clothing to be able to comfortably camp anywhere I can ride her. Thinking about side bags and/or a different cargo box on the rack.

20180812_102107.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did my first overnight on the TW last night. Worked out well but I grabbed a sandwich on the way up the mountains and just brought other snacks with me. In the future I need to fit in cooking equipment, a bit more food, and a couple of pieces of clothing to be able to comfortably camp anywhere I can ride her. Thinking about side bags and/or a different cargo box on the rack.

View attachment 183300
Did you use the backpack as a backrest? :)

Reactions: TopPredator

·
Registered
14,038 Posts
Looked like a beautiful ride/camp too.

Beach party, yeah baby!

Reactions: GCRAD1

·
Registered
606 Posts
Getting ready for "Hell Week." Private is packed and ready. All that is missing is me with my pack on.
Resized_20180818_141831.jpeg
I also will be adding side bags, and replacing the box with a large tail bag, in due time, but for now, for the 1st trip, this will do just fine.
Resized_20180818_141530.jpeg
Decided to go south to Overland Pass in the Ruby Mtns. Then over to Ruby Lake and back over Harrison Pass. All will be dirt, except when I venture onto the single tracks, then it's either rock or moon dust. Going after the rare and exotic Nevada-Peruvian Ice Gnome Crystal Skull.
Resized_20180817_193653.jpeg

Reactions: GCRAD1 and admiral

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
A minimalist summer one night load out ...solo tent, down bag, mini-stove, freeze dried rations, 1/2 gallon water, Thermarest and not much else. I have larger panniers and storage bags for if I ever get brave for a few more days out.
I packed fairly light as if back packing so was able to get all water, provisions and cooking kit in the two blue small "saddlebags".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Is that a fresh paint job on Betty? She looks, "perkier".

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Old photo, it was from a quickie in prep for a planned solo night along the Green River, at Utah's Mineral Bottom back when paint and Agri-supply panniers were all new. The empty bag on top for those last minute extras as well as extra water and the 1 gallon Rotopax at the very back I wanted for exiting via the White Rim Trail. I ended up tossing in a fleece hoodie for a pillow, some bug spray and a flask. Worked at home but the forecast for obnoxious gnats riveride and the permit hassle had me stay out of the canyon at the group camp instead.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
304 Posts
@GCRAD1 I ran across your video last summer and it helped for my OBDR run.

Test packed for a week long trip (but just camped overnight).

My newer, more compact system would be more than adequate for a 3 day trip. Maybe longer.

A few tips to pass along from a few days/nights on the trail.
-Pack light. You'll only use 2/3 the clothes and food you think you will. Dress in layers.
-Wrap loose items in plastic bags to keep the dust (and maybe rain) off.
-Ditch the tent roll. I found stuffing the tent and rainfly in the bottom of my bag was way more compact. Poles got strapped to the back.
-Keep tools handy. Don't strap them down first and pack everything else on top.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mistervelocity - The yellow panniers in the first picture of your post - Who makes those? They look really nice.

·
Registered
304 Posts

There's more info here...

That eventually led to this...

I scabbed together this crude frame that mounts under my Cyclerack with some small Ubolts...

The pros are that they are really nice for the price point. They're waterproof and roomy. They have some zippered pockets inside and out. They have the bungee cubbies too but I never really used them. And they are removable in literally 2 seconds after you loosen the orange straps.

The cons are that the way mine are mounted they're the widest point on the bike. Also, with full load (50+ pounds) it gets a little unstable on steep technical climbs.

They're great for smoothish trails but I prefer the Jerod Loop for the type of stuff I typically ride. I'll probably be refining the JL2 into the JL3 before next season is over.

Reactions: GCRAD1 and imlost

·
Super Moderator
5,644 Posts
As an ex dispatch rider, I’ve always used those skinny Craven panniers, but that was fine because of the position of the exhausts. Didn’t hold much of course, but that was fine for the job, and kept the road off the bike “in the event of”

I’ve always found it a curiosity of the TW, that to have any sort of side pannier on there (and there are many fine examples thereof) , it immediately requires that the rear of the bike becomes three feet wide

I have (in the past), taken to stuffing a simple kit bag, with the more “boxy” stuff on the rear rack, and said kit bag upturned over it. This leads me to my question

In many of your pics, the rear of the seat is quite unused – may I ask why ? ……

(Nice to see you are still well by the way) ...

·
Registered
304 Posts
There's a couple reasons it's so wide. First, the rear rack is a Cyclerack. To my knowledge it's already the widest rack to begin with. Second, I elected to make the mounts wide enough that I could retain the factory rear turn signals. Had I been using a narrower rack or aftermarket/relocated signals, I could have been 4-6" narrower overall.

As to the seat, I sit there. I'm average height but tend to sit in a more stretched out American fashion. By this, I mean the traditional difference in stirrup (footpeg) position when comparing saddle types from American vs English and Japanese. Harley Softail vs GSXR or BSA. I know some guys like to really slide up next to the tank and ride on their yambag but it's not really for me. I've never been comfortable riding with a backpack either. Just a personal preference thing.

Reactions: imlost and Purple

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hello Mistervelocity!

WHAT IS THE "Jerod Loop"???????

While I like your setup, I agree with you on the side-bags being the widest point! That is exactly my "wrestle" with using sidebags. The bike is so low to begin with, I don't want anything on the sides... Maybe if I was doing a month long trip or something... but I do light the "light-n-tight" way. BUT, with that said, I do have the CycleRacks side racks to mount a Rotopax fuel/water cans. That might be the extent of width for me. We will see! I've yet to test them!

There's more info here...

That eventually led to this...

I scabbed together this crude frame that mounts under my Cyclerack with some small Ubolts...

The pros are that they are really nice for the price point. They're waterproof and roomy. They have some zippered pockets inside and out. They have the bungee cubbies too but I never really used them. And they are removable in literally 2 seconds after you loosen the orange straps.

The cons are that the way mine are mounted they're the widest point on the bike. Also, with full load (50+ pounds) it gets a little unstable on steep technical climbs.

They're great for smoothish trails but I prefer the Jerod Loop for the type of stuff I typically ride. I'll probably be refining the JL2 into the JL3 before next season is over.

Reactions: Mistervelocity

·
Registered
304 Posts
WHAT IS THE "Jerod Loop"???????
The Jerod Loop was born out of necessity on our OBDR ride Stories for the Brobituary (OBDR Route 5) . My buddy was ridding my loaner TW with some saddlebags that another member had provided. Unfortunately there was a catastrophic failure near the end of day 2. When I woke up early the next morning Jerod had improvised with this...

...to be known henceforth as the Jerod Loop.

The yellow bags worked fine on the trip but we were all coveting the Giant Loop Coyote that my brother had on his DRZ. After the trip I decided to try a low buck experiment using some thrift store cargo pants sewed mid-shin and straps that I salvaged from an old life jacket.

I dubbed this the JL2. I've got a couple refinements in mind for the JL3. I know it may seem a little cheesy but it works pretty well. It's no wider than my sleeping bag and tucks behind my legs. The weight is low and mainly supported by the frame itself. Big thing for me was cost. GL and Mosko make great products but I'm getting by on a couple dollars worth of hand-me-downs.
When I get the JL3 in use I'll post it up.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
OMG!!! That is SPECTACULAR!!!

The Jerod Loop was born out of necessity on our OBDR ride Stories for the Brobituary (OBDR Route 5) . My buddy was ridding my loaner TW with some saddlebags that another member had provided. Unfortunately there was a catastrophic failure near the end of day 2. When I woke up early the next morning Jerod had improvised with this... View attachment 209736

...to be known henceforth as the Jerod Loop.

The yellow bags worked fine on the trip but we were all coveting the Giant Loop Coyote that my brother had on his DRZ. After the trip I decided to try a low buck experiment using some thrift store cargo pants sewed mid-shin and straps that I salvaged from an old life jacket. View attachment 209737 View attachment 209738

I dubbed this the JL2. I've got a couple refinements in mind for the JL3. I know it may seem a little cheesy but it works pretty well. It's no wider than my sleeping bag and tucks behind my legs. The weight is low and mainly supported by the frame itself. Big thing for me was cost. GL and Mosko make great products but I'm getting by on a couple dollars worth of hand-me-downs.
When I get the JL3 in use I'll post it up.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts